You are here

WEIRD routing problem with Korg M1 VST version!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

WEIRD routing problem with Korg M1 VST version!

Postby ulrichburke » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:35 am

Dear Anyone.

As Korg Forums seem to have died a death, I'm hoping someone here will know what I'm talking about!

I've got the Korg M1 Software version (plug-in VST.) I'm NOT good at synths so hopefully the question will be obvious to someone....

If you go into the OSC section, there's two little boxes. Both let you select basic sounds for the sound you want to create. By default, the right one of the two is grayed out. But on the left-hand side there's an option button that lets you choose single or double - double activates the right-hand box so you can have a sound in each. Now I thought - seemed logical - that if you had a sound in each, they'd both go to the same output so if you put external EQ on sound A, the same EQ would be on sound B as well as they're together in the same pair of boxes, part of the same sound. Same sound, so same output so EQ affects both, right?

Wrong! The EQ's working on the LEFT of the pair of sounds Not the RIGHT one. That's remaining untouched. I can turn off the LEFT sound all the way with EQ (just by killing all of the frequencies, natch!) but the RIGHT hand sound will be totally unaffected. Now they're both going out to the same channel as far as I can see. If I mute the channel, they're both muted. It's just any and all effects are only working on the LEFT sound, not the RIGHT one!!

WHY!?!?!

Yours puzzledly

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:00 am

Re: WEIRD routing problem with Korg M1 VST version!

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:24 am

ulrichburke wrote:If you go into the OSC section, there's two little boxes. Both let you select basic sounds for the sound you want to create. By default, the right one of the two is grayed out. But on the left-hand side there's an option button that lets you choose single or double - double activates the right-hand box so you can have a sound in each.

Yes, a program can have one or two oscillators.

ulrichburke wrote:Now I thought - seemed logical - that if you had a sound in each, they'd both go to the same output so if you put external EQ on sound A, the same EQ would be on sound B as well as they're together in the same pair of boxes, part of the same sound. Same sound, so same output so EQ affects both, right?

When you say "external EQ", do you mean putting an EQ plugin on the main stereo output of the plugin?
Or do you mean an EQ effect inside the M1?

There are many ways of routing effects to outputs in the M1, serial, parallel, with different M1 FX going to different outputs (the master FX page ha a graphical overview of your routing.)

ulrichburke wrote:Wrong! The EQ's working on the LEFT of the pair of sounds Not the RIGHT one. That's remaining untouched. I can turn off the LEFT sound all the way with EQ (just by killing all of the frequencies, natch!) but the RIGHT hand sound will be totally unaffected. Now they're both going out to the same channel as far as I can see. If I mute the channel, they're both muted. It's just any and all effects are only working on the LEFT sound, not the RIGHT one!!

Like I say, check the FX and output routing on the master FX page. If you're still not sure, post a screen grab of this, or save the patch and upload it, and I'll see if I can figure out your routing issues.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8049
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dan LB, Humble Bee