You are here

monitor equivalents of AKG K701 cans

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

monitor equivalents of AKG K701 cans

Postby KJF » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 pm

Just bought a pair of AKG K701 cans, £55 secondhand so I'm pretty happy - although I must admit they are taking some getting used to . Ironically, regarding their reputation for 'no bass', they have really helped me get that area of the mix under control: it's just the highs that all over the place but I'm working on it...

But it's got me wondering: what would be the monitor equivalents of these headphones - cost-to-sound quality-wise? I don't have any monitors worth using and not much of a budget but thought about buying a single 8010 Genelec, using that to mix a mono sound source accurately before stereoing it up using the cans. Crazy or good idea? Or are there a pair of good, small powered monitors for the price of the single Genelec? I've seen the Rokit 5 but maybe they're just a little too large for my space.

Thanks in advance.
KJF
Regular

Re: monitor equivalents of AKG K701 cans

Postby The Elf » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Of course you could do what you're proposing, but it sounds like a bit of a bodge. If t'were me I'd opt for a pair of cheaper speakers, rather than throwing the equivalent money at an ostensibly 'better' single speaker.

In the spirit of what you're asking I'd offer up AE22s as being a comfortable pairing for my K701/702/712. There's no huge culture shock when I switch from one to the other - something I couldn't say for others of my speakers. Secondhand only, though, so you would have to see what you can rustle up.

I've not heard of the K701 having a reputation for 'no bass'. That seems like an hyped-up statement designed to get a response. They do run out of push below around 100Hz, but the slope-off is quite benign and there's plenty of useful information down there sufficient to build a mix.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:18 pm

The catch being that AE22s are no longer made, so you'd have to find one used and if it goes wrong, then you'd have real trouble getting it fixed.

The Sonarworks Reference 4 linearisation software for headphones may be a good investment for you when using the cans, as it does make the most of the headphones and extend the useful frequency range a bit by bolstering the bass-end through EQ and giving as flat a response as possible, so smoothing the AKG's mid-forward sound. The downside is that it's going to cost more than your headphones.

https://www.sonarworks.com/reference
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:43 pm

Wonks wrote:The catch being that AE22s are no longer made, so you'd have to find one used and if it goes wrong, then you'd have real trouble getting it fixed.

If you treat them well speakers rarely go wrong - and we know where to find the designer anyway ;)
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Wonks » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:47 am

Both my original monitors, Behringer Truths, and my longer term Adam A7Xs had one speaker go faulty with chips blowing up. The Behringer I repaired myself as it had discrete components (and was just the rectifier diodes in the PSU) The Adam had to be repaired by Cimple Solutions at a significant cost. Neither was heavily used or used loudly and the Adams went wrong when I wasn't playing anything through them at all.

So they do go wrong and not because they've been constantly driven within an inch of their lives for a long time.

People with the AE22s generally like them a lot and so have kept hold of them, or didn't like the less forceful bass end due to the sealed enclosure design, and moved them on quickly at the time, so you aren't likely to find a lot of them available anyway. But they are very good monitors.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:33 pm

Wonks wrote:So they do go wrong and not because they've been constantly driven within an inch of their lives for a long time.

Yes, amplifiers in budget active speakers are more likely to go wrong but I guess I was thinking more of passive speakers - there are passive AE22's as well as active ones.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby KJF » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:23 am

Wonks wrote:
The Sonarworks Reference 4 linearisation software for headphones may be a good investment

Thanks for the advice. I did indeed download the trial version of Sonarworks and the difference was really something. It really sorted out the mix to quite a degree. The interesting thing about the 701s - at least to my ears - is the high end: it's accentuated enough to give the impression the bass is a little light but it's not so, Even with Sonarworks the bass remained quite similar but the high end came down a lot giving a much warmer overall sound.

It's a great plug-in but not one I can really afford: I could use the cash to upgrade the laptop, to be honest. However, using a Waves Paragraphic 10 EQ on the master bus I was able to imitate the correction curve to the headphones to an almost identical level - certainly good enough to critique the mix more accurately. I know I'm a tight bu**er on a budget but I can't be the only one who has done this. It seems such an obvious thing to do to get at least a worthy 'second opinion'.

Thanks again for the advice.
KJF
Regular
http://www.keithfrazer.com

Postby The Elf » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:41 am

The thing that's always bothered me about Sonarworks (and I do agree that it's actually quite good) is that it if you become dependent on it you need it any time and everywhere you use your headphones. That just seems a bit of a horse to carry IMHO.

Once you become unconsciously familiar with what a given set of speakers or headphones are telling you then I believe you can mix on them without needing any artificial assistance.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby KJF » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:04 am

I agree totally. I actually like the sound of the cans as they are - very airy - and I know it won't take too long to get used to them and know where everything is. That said, I'll still have a quick check through my 'correction EQ' to reveal any shock and horror moments. In effect it will be acting like a second set of headphones.

Ahhhh, the things you can do with a laptop computer.... Wasn't so long ago I was recording on to TDK chromdioxid tapes on my Tascam 488 :round1:
KJF
Regular
http://www.keithfrazer.com