You are here

Everything is getting boxed up for a house move

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Everything is getting boxed up for a house move

Postby Guido3 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:03 pm

Mrs Guido and I are currently looking to move. As a result of this, my keyboard room is being turned back into a bedroom (apparently the house will be more attractive to potential buyers this way :headbang: )

To be fair on her, she has played a blinder as the house we are looking to move to has stables and out-buildings which she has said I can convert into a small studio when we eventually move. As a result, I have buckled like a small child being promised a lifetime of sweets!!

Anyway, I digress........

As I am going to have a very limited amount of kit available to me, I am thinking it maybe a great opportunity to learn something new. I am thinking of either Maschine Mk3 or really pushing the boat out and getting Ableton and a Push 2 (I am a Logic user at the mo).

It needs to be small form factor and take up little space. I could just buy a small USB keyboard and carry on with Logic as best I can however I feel it’s a missed opportunity.

I could get an OP-1 which I hadn’t thought of until I started typing this post.

What do people suggest?
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Everything is getting boxed up for a house move

Postby Alba » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:26 pm

We packed about 18 months ago and then immediately had to put everything on hold because of family issues, Decided not to unpack and are living on the bare minimum of stuff. Best thing i ever did, pack the studio, I've played more in the last 18 months and just have a laptop, home-made pre and a stereo mic, bliss. Simple, limiting and instead of messing about trying to make records and be a jack of all trades i just play my guitars all day, lovely.

Good luck with the move, sounds like a nice place.

My advice if you play keys is just have one full piano keyboard and get back to basics, just play that all the time. Get your hand in (as they say)
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:02 am

Elektron Analog 4 (or Keys, if you prefer). Easily the most fun I've had in my laptop since the lights went out at the Christmas disco.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ramirez » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:19 am

If you're happy to spend, a Microsoft Surface Pro and Bitwig Studio!
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:22 am

I've been living with a minimal setup for so long it's becoming a way of life! That's all about to change and I can't wait.

Just make sure you have the budget to convert those stables... if you go full DIY like me you'll probably be without your studio for longer than you think!

Personally, with the benefit of hindsight, I'd opt to stick with what you know — Logic, laptop, keyboard. And focus on writing stuff that you can produce when you're in your new space. But I can see why you have other ideas. An acoustic guitar or a cello always look pretty in a show home. So one idea would maybe be to take the time to learn to play a new instrument really well?!
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Dave B » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:59 am

Earlier in the year, Chevytraveller was showing Zukan and I his iPad Pro loaded up with a whole slew of music making apps. It really is a fantastic way to go - about the size of a laptop and the apps are insanely good. You are able to build completed, finished tracks. Add a small usb keyboard and/or interface and you basically have a pro rig which can be used for writing, demoing, performance, etc and with the results able to be exported (certainly in a lot of the apps he was showing us).

Logic is great for linear recording / arranging, but the move back to sequencing has come back bigger and better than ever. Gotta love that!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Dave B wrote:iPad Pro... about the size of a laptop

So... just like a laptop, only without the built in keyboard, and a bit less powerful, then?! :headbang:

[forgive my iCynicism]
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:38 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:
Dave B wrote:iPad Pro... about the size of a laptop

So... just like a laptop, only without the built in keyboard, and a bit less powerful, then?! :headbang:

[forgive my iCynicism]
Chortle!

Nothing sensible to add, but good luck with the move, I'm very envious of the potential new space. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:48 pm

Oh ye doubting heathens!
I've been drinking the apple koolaid for many years before i jumped into app-land. At first they were a novelty. The current state of apps is remarkable, I've performed entire shows on the device. The cost of apps is absurdly low and there are super cool apps that will never be ported over to the regular OS.
I have an older ipad that has never choked on me yet although I haven't needed to run 24 tracks of audio. Even then I've heard it shouldn't be a problem.

Ipad, small USB keyboard sometimes, camera connection kit, headphones - I'm making music outside looking into the woods. Sometimes one needs to do that. :bouncy:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:13 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Ipad, small USB keyboard sometimes, camera connection kit, headphones - I'm making music outside looking into the woods. Sometimes one needs to do that. :bouncy:
Definitely! I'm glad to hear others share my habit of disappearing into the wilderness to compose.

It doesn't require an iPad. I do the same with my laptop, except I don't need a camera connection kit and I have my full-fat software with me (e.g. Cubase) all the time.

This week I took a Helix pedal out into the garden to record a friend's guitar parts - best take I've heard him play!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:14 pm

I have a guitar for that :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:42 pm

blinddrew wrote:I have a guitar for that :D
You have a guitar specifically for recording outside on those rare days in the UK when the weather makes it viable/pleasant?
You sir are an optimist of the highest order :lol:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:12 pm

It's somewhere under a dustsheet.

Under a pile of raincoats...

and umbrellas...

and wellington boots :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Guido3 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 pm

Dave B wrote:Earlier in the year, Chevytraveller was showing Zukan and I his iPad Pro loaded up with a whole slew of music making apps. It really is a fantastic way to go - about the size of a laptop and the apps are insanely good. You are able to build completed, finished tracks. Add a small usb keyboard and/or interface and you basically have a pro rig which can be used for writing, demoing, performance, etc !

Can you remember any of the Apps he used?
Guido3
Regular

Postby Dave B » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:21 am

Offhand, no - sorry Guido. You could try dropping him a PM.

He'll be down in Brighton this weekend at the Modular Meet - and doing a demo on the Sunday no less. I'm planning to try and get down so I'll see if I can remember to ask him about it. Bear in mind, it could be a long list....
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Guido3 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Well after giving this some serious thought, I have finally decided what I’m going to get. As I have the whole summer with little kit and think the opportunity would be well spent discovering something new, I have decided on a ROLI Seaboard Rise 25. I’ve always fancied trying one but could never really afford the time to do one justice. Now is perfect. I am also spending a couple of weeks in the middle of nowhere with family so just my MBA a Seaboard and a pair of headphones should fit the bill.

It should also be a nice addition to my studio when I get up and running again. WIN-WIN!!

Now I just need to track and S/H one down!!
Guido3
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Have fun!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Guido3 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:27 pm

OK. So I was about to sort myself a Seaboard Rise 25 when I stubbed across the seaboard Block!! Whilst it has slightly smaller keys it seems to offer exactly the same functions at a lower price. I’m even tempted to get 2 so they can be put together to form a very flexible, portable 4 octave Seaboard for less than the price of a Rise 25.

Does anyone have a Seaboard Block? Any thoughts? Is it as good as a Rise or is it cut down in some areas?
Guido3
Regular