You are here

*big noob help, trouble trying to figure out what I need to buy to have multiple switchable inputs.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

*big noob help, trouble trying to figure out what I need to buy to have multiple switchable inputs.

Postby Samzn4 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi guys hope you are having a nice day,
I'm looking to get a new sound setup, currently I'm looking at getting a set of
KRK Rokit 5's/6's
Audio Technics LP60
I've also been advised to get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for the quality preamp to play music from my pc.
The issue i'm having is how to be able to connect both the PC and the turntable to my speakers while using the 2i2 from the pc. I was thinking if I could do this but I have no clue about sound hardware.
PC -> 2i2 -> A Switcher -> KRK's
LP60 -> Switcher -> KRK's
If this does work what cables will I need, what switcher do you recommend and if not how could I get this setup to work?

Thanks for any help (sorry if in wrong thread and a dumb question)
A big noob.
Samzn4
Poster

Re: *big noob help, trouble trying to figure out what I need to buy to have multiple switchable inputs.

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 pm

There's no need for a switcher as your audio interface can handle all the routing needed but you'll probably need to use the line outputs on the turntable rather than the USB outputs. In this case I'm not sure that the Focusrite interface is the best choice as you will probably need to use the software control panel to do the switching/routing and Focusrite's control panels have a reputation for being fiddly and not very easy to use.

I know I've mentioned the Zoom U-44 and U24 quite a bit recently but I'm very impressed with how usable they are - all the controls you need are on the top panel rather than hidden away in software so you may find that they are a better option.

You'll need to connect the line output of your turntable to the line input of the interface and then adjust the input/playback monitor control to switch between computer and turntable. With the Zoom the speakers connect to the main out jacks and you have hardware level and mute controls.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: *big noob help, trouble trying to figure out what I need to buy to have multiple switchable inputs.

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Hi Sam,

I am assuming you will want to dub records to the computer as well as play them? Usefully that turntable can output a 'corrected' line level signal but the problem is the 2i2* only has two line inputs and using those would mean constant re-plugging to use the mic XLRs.

You need an interface with at least 4 inputs and IMHO the Native Instruments Komplete Audio six is made for the job. The front XLRs can be left for mics and/or guitar and the TTble connected to inputs 3/4 at the rear.

*The 2i2 gets recommended A LOT! I don't really know why? Yes, it is a very good interface but no better than many others and it is VERY basic. 2 in 2 out is all you get for quite a lot more ££s than many others just as good, No MIDI and no S/PDIF. Yes, the preamps are good but the general headroom, although improved on the Gen' lls is still not generous.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Samzn4 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:14 pm

James Perrett wrote:There's no need for a switcher as your audio interface can handle all the routing needed but you'll probably need to use the line outputs on the turntable rather than the USB outputs. In this case I'm not sure that the Focusrite interface is the best choice as you will probably need to use the software control panel to do the switching/routing and Focusrite's control panels have a reputation for being fiddly and not very easy to use.

I know I've mentioned the Zoom U-44 and U24 quite a bit recently but I'm very impressed with how usable they are - all the controls you need are on the top panel rather than hidden away in software so you may find that they are a better option.

You'll need to connect the line output of your turntable to the line input of the interface and then adjust the input/playback monitor control to switch between computer and turntable. With the Zoom the speakers connect to the main out jacks and you have hardware level and mute controls.
Thank you James, @James Perrett
Ive looked into what you suggested and the only thing i'm confused about is whether I can actually connect the vinyl turntable to the U44?

The turntable has an RCA LR female connector but the U44 inputs are only TRS/XLR?
I assume music from the PC only needs the USB connection and it is powered this way so there is no need for batteries?

Thanks
Sam
(sorry for late reply, was in work all day)
Samzn4
Poster

Postby Samzn4 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:15 pm

ef37a wrote:Hi Sam,

I am assuming you will want to dub records to the computer as well as play them? Usefully that turntable can output a 'corrected' line level signal but the problem is the 2i2* only has two line inputs and using those would mean constant re-plugging to use the mic XLRs.

You need an interface with at least 4 inputs and IMHO the Native Instruments Komplete Audio six is made for the job. The front XLRs can be left for mics and/or guitar and the TTble connected to inputs 3/4 at the rear.

*The 2i2 gets recommended A LOT! I don't really know why? Yes, it is a very good interface but no better than many others and it is VERY basic. 2 in 2 out is all you get for quite a lot more ££s than many others just as good, No MIDI and no S/PDIF. Yes, the preamps are good but the general headroom, although improved on the Gen' lls is still not generous.

Dave.

Thanks Man,
However I am just really using it to listen to tunes, not really producing anything
Samzn4
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:54 pm

A simple switcher will suffice to connect the computer and turntable to the speakers if you don't mind using the headphone out on the computer (assuming it hasn't got a line out, some do).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hi-Fi-Audio-Selector-B-Tech-3-way-input-control-BT31-/223052272136
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Samzn4 wrote:Ive looked into what you suggested and the only thing i'm confused about is whether I can actually connect the vinyl turntable to the U44?

The turntable has an RCA LR female connector but the U44 inputs are only TRS/XLR?
I assume music from the PC only needs the USB connection and it is powered this way so there is no need for batteries?

You will need a couple of jack to phono leads or adaptors for the turntable - somethiing like the ones at http://cpc.farnell.com/hq-power/pcn022/ ... dp/CN20083

You are right - music from the PC comes through the USB connection and so does the power. The battery or external power is used if you want to connect it to an iPad/Android device.
James Perrett

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:A simple switcher will suffice to connect the computer and turntable to the speakers

Wouldn't you need some kind of volume control for the turntable? This would require some kind of monitor controller but the cheapest monitor controller than I could find was slightly more expensive than the current price of a Zoom U-24.
James Perrett

Postby Samzn4 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Thank you :)
Samzn4
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:21 am

If you don't want to record the discs then why not just plug in the USB connection?

You would then need to find the TTble in Windows Sound Devices (probably be called "USB CODEC" might even be called "USB MICROPHONE"! You will also have to control the level in Windows but that is no different from playing a CD or YTube.

Then, when you want it, plug in the 2i2 and set Windoze accordingly (in fact, when you go into a recording DAW it will probably find it for you. Samplitude would. In fact Samplitude would allow both devices to run and the TTble be an input and recordable)

However, going into the line inputs of the 2i2 will probably be using better converters?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:07 am

James Perrett wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:A simple switcher will suffice to connect the computer and turntable to the speakers

Wouldn't you need some kind of volume control for the turntable? This would require some kind of monitor controller but the cheapest monitor controller than I could find was slightly more expensive than the current price of a Zoom U-24.

a good point well made :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 am

About an hour ago I downloaded the setup data for that USB turntable. It uses Audacity and gives you chapter and verse on setup, volume control and recording if you wanted it.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Samzn4 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks for all the help guys, I just have a small question to reassure myself before buying the lot.
Connecting the 2xRCA into the U44 via a TRS cable, will this work? (Just because of the whole LR music going in through one cable?
Was gonna use one of these to plug the male RCA's into then the TRS side into the input on the U44: http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg03 ... 20to%201/4

Cheers Guys you've been a great help
Sam.
Samzn4
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:38 am

Late to this thread but I think you might be about to confuse TRS-stereo with TRS-balanced mono...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Samzn4 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:48 am

blinddrew wrote:Late to this thread but I think you might be about to confuse TRS-stereo with TRS-balanced mono...
I am very much confused hahaha, please help.
Samzn4
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:08 pm

It is not clear from the manual but I think the TT has RCA (phono) output sockets.

Therefore you need either RCA-RCA twin to the RCA jack adaptors or RCA twin to TWO mono TS jack plugs.
Forget ALL about "balance" and "stereo" and "TRS" !

The TT needs to be set to 'line' output.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:10 pm

I think this is probably one of THE most common confusions for people starting out with music tech.
Most people are familiar with the tip-ring-sleeve layout being used for carrying a stereo signal - typically on a pair of headphones, or to connect a portable media player to an amp/music system.
And most people are comfortable with the idea that they mostly come int two sizes (3.5mm and 1/4").
Likewise people are generally happy with the idea that a tip-sleeve connection carries a mono signal (e.g. a guitar lead).

Where it gets confusing is that the TRS connector (typically in the 1/4" size) is also commonly used for balanced mono signals as well. There's a bit on balanced wiring here: https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... al-terms#B but I actually find the wikipedia entry a little easier to read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

What this means is that a TRS input on an interface is generally a balanced mono input, not a stereo input. So if you wanted to plug a stereo source into a, for example, Scarlett 2i2, then you'd need to use both inputs of the 2i2 to do so. And you'd be fine to do this on unbalanced cables using an RCA-TS plug adaptor.

Does that help?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Samzn4 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:13 pm

ef37a wrote:It is not clear from the manual but I think the TT has RCA (phono) output sockets.

Therefore you need either RCA-RCA twin to the RCA jack adaptors or RCA twin to TWO mono TS jack plugs.

Dave.
Thanks,
Only thing i dont get about that is how to connect the RCA's to the U44, i cant find any RCA inputs, just the TRS combo jacks labeled input 1 and input 2. Do you mean put one of the RCA's in each with one of these http://cpc.farnell.com/hq-power/pcn022/ ... dp/CN20083
Samzn4
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:16 pm

I can't find a phono socket to mono jack lead on the CPC website. It is probably best to use the adaptors that I linked to near the top of this thread into the interface. If you need more length then use a phono socket to phono plug extension lead.
James Perrett

Postby ef37a » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Samzn4 wrote:
ef37a wrote:It is not clear from the manual but I think the TT has RCA (phono) output sockets.

Dave.
Thanks,
Only thing i dont get about that is how to connect the RCA's to the U44, i cant find any RCA inputs, just the TRS combo jacks labeled input 1 and input 2. Do you mean put one of the RCA's in each with one of these http://cpc.farnell.com/hq-power/pcn022/ ... dp/CN20083

Yes! Then you will need one of these http://cpc.farnell.com/stagg/stc3c/rca- ... 515?st=RCA TO RCA CABLE Unless there is one with the turn table?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Next