You are here

In-ear headphones - suggestions?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

In-ear headphones - suggestions?

Postby Chromeman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi folks

Need something for commuting, anyone have any recommendations? I've bought all sorts of from Amazon in the past but they all disappear into teenage rooms and never re-appear. The older Apple ones were the most comfortable for me, I'm not a big fan of jamming plugs into my ears. Don't mind paying a bit more for some quality.......
Chromeman
Regular

Re: In-ear headphones - suggestions?

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 pm

I've just bought a pair of Air-Pods, I'm starting to like them a lot but I first tried them in my local Apple Store and I wouldn't have bought them if I was expecting to use them in loud environments like said store. If it's reasonably quiet they sound very good (for open ear buds) and are very comfortable, surprisingly secure and incredibly convenient. Clever bits of kit, impressed. But if you want to avoid the kids nicking them you can't beat a decent pair of custom moulded IEMs (I have ACS T1s), all day comfortable, extremely secure and great sounding, and they won't fit anybody else's ears......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 pm

For commuting I've tried a number of things, started with my old Shure E4c in ears, which were great (once I'd replaced the jack with a nice metal unit) but eventually the plastic on the wires started to degrade.
I have some 2-series ones from Shure after this but they died within a year so wasn't impressed.
I then tried various free-with-the-phone earphones from Nokia and Samsung but I've not been happy with any of them, from either an isolation or sound quality perspective.
I then tried the Aftershox blues II for a while. Wireless and kept my ears free (which was great for hearing that my train had been cancelled again), but I found that when it got particularly noisy I was then putting my earplugs in... which all seemed a bit counter-productive! Eventually I broke these by accidentally sitting on them.
Not long after that I gave up commuting by train and bought a motorbike, so since then, on the few occasions I've taken the train, I just take my Beyer DT770s with me. I may look like a muppet but they cut out loads of background noise and sound lovely. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:48 pm

I had some Sennheiser ones (CX100?) for a while which sounded fine and were reasonably comfortable but in the end I found I preferred using my HD25's which were more comfortable, better sounding and not that much more unwieldy.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page