You are here

Mixer to recorder: BAD :o audio from Stereo Out

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mixer to recorder: BAD :o audio from Stereo Out

Postby dxdn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Hello. First time poster here.

I have a Yamaha MG06 mixer paired to a Tascam DR-05 recorder connected with a single Hosa 1/4" TRS to 3.5 mm TRS cable.

Images of equipment for reference:
https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/f-webp__q-82__ha-f026715d1e35a6bb__hmac-db87bf89fdc278ca2d6cf6ed73aea9da89e82913/images/items/750/MG06-large.jpg.auto.webp
https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/f-webp__q-82__ha-d1a19f9837cedb79__hmac-e07cd0c4dab20b25406d8479f6a27693dd770418/images/closeup/750-DR05_detail5.jpg.auto.webp
https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/f-webp__q-82__ha-be405f42b6b773c6__hmac-fe1a5e8621d8533aa114801f743a3db2e47e979b/images/items/750/CMS103-large.jpg.auto.webp

Sunday I was recording and if I used either of the mixer's 1/4" Stereo Out (one channel at a time) I got terrible audio to the recorder (monitoring the recorder). The mixer output volume was low, and at the same time it sounded distorted and like it was repeatedly peaking. But when I tried the mixer's Phones output to the recorder, not only was the output volume much higher at equivalent mixer Level dial positions, the audio was crystal clear!

I tried troubleshooting while using the 1/4" mixer outs, but nothing seemed to have an effect. Steps I took included: On the mixer I tried adjusting the microphone gain, the gain and levels of channel 2 (the only input channel used on the mixer), toggling the HPF and PAD, toggling Mono/Stereo, and level of Stereo output. I also tried on the recorder: raising and lowering recording level and turning mic power on and off.

I am confused about why this happened. I'm guessing perhaps a mismatch in power from the 1/4" +4dBu mixer outputs to the 3.5 mm Mic/Ext In of the recorder? Is there a way to use those 1/4" outs with this recorder? Would using the XLR outputs have the same problem?
dxdn

Re: Mixer to recorder: BAD :o audio from Stereo Out

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:50 pm

dxdn wrote: ...if I used either of the mixer's 1/4" Stereo Out (one channel at a time) I got terrible audio to the recorder (monitoring the recorder). The mixer output volume was low, and at the same time it sounded distorted and like it was repeatedly peaking. But when I tried the mixer's Phones output to the recorder, not only was the output volume much higher at equivalent mixer Level dial positions, the audio was crystal clear!

Yep. That's exactly what I'd expect. The stereo line outputs are balanced, but the input to your recorder is unbalanced. So you ended up connecting a single balanced mono channel into a stereo unbalanced input... and the two just aren't compatible.

If you want to connect the mixer's line outputs to the Tascam, you'll need a different lead -- one with a 3.5mm minijack at one end, and two mono quarter-inch plugs at the other, like this:

The mono jack plugs will unbalance the signal for you, and that way you'll get both the left and right channels into your Tascam in the right way.

The reason the headphone socket worked so well is because that is a stereo, unbalanced connection, just like the Tascam's mini-jack input.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Mixer to recorder: BAD :o audio from Stereo Out

Postby dxdn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:26 pm

Oh, OK. Thank you.
dxdn