You are here

Zoom H6 and multiple track recording on iPad

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Zoom H6 and multiple track recording on iPad

Postby AndyOne » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi Forum

I reeeeally hope to find an answer for this. I've got the following equipment that I need to get to work together:

Zoom H6
2 x Sennheiser AVX-ME2 SET (phantom power)
2 x old microports (not phantom power)
iPad and/or iPhone

The problem is that I need at least three channels since I'm recording video interviews with (at least) three persons. Zoom H6 however only allows me to record in stereo mix which means that I can only pick up the sound from two channels and I need three or four.

Right now it's no problem that my sennheiser microports are phantom powered. They work and the sound is recorded when I've set the audio interface on Zoom H6 on stereo mix. I just need the extra channels.

So dear forum. Is there a way to either:

1) Get four channels directly into the iPad or iPhone
2) Premix the channels on Zoom H6, so I can record a stereo - or mono - mix directly to my iPad or iPhone?
3) Make another great and portable workaround.

And yes, I could record the sound isolated and then add it in post production. The problem is that I'd love to create a simple workflow AND to use switcher studio which does all the editing directly in the app. So to find a simple workflow would be perfect!!!

Cross my fingers!

Andreas
AndyOne
New here

Re: Zoom H6 and multiple track recording on iPad

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi Andreas, are we talking about the same Zoom H6: https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field- ... y-recorder
Because that can record 4 channels simultaneously, you just need to set it to multi-track instead of stereo mode.
Or am I misunderstanding the problem?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby AndyOne » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 am

Hi Blinddrew

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough. The only way to have the Zoom H6 to connect to the iPad is via stereo mix - not multi track. The option to connect via iPad simply vanishes if I try to select 'multi track'.

Selecting the 'multi track' is simply not an option. That's why I'm looking for a way to combine three or more tracks into stereo mode so I can import input from more than two microphones when I'm connected to the iPad (or iPhone).

Really hope someone can clear this up.

Best,

Andreas
AndyOne
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:56 am

3 into 2 won't go I'm afraid, if you want three separate tracks you need to record three separate tracks. Why not record the three or four mic tracks onto the zoom in multitrack mode and, I assume you are filming using the iPad or iPhone, record the voices using the onboard mic to allow you to import then sync the individual tracks in post production?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AndyOne » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi Sam

Thank you for your response.

As described I can't always do that workaround since I'm for instance is using Switcher Studio which does 'live' editing. So I really need to have more than two channels of sound going directly into the iPhone without sound post editing. If it's in any way possible to mix four channels down to two, then I'll be able to use the stereo mix option for iPad/iPhone.

Best, Andreas
AndyOne
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Ah... I think the critical information we're missing is that you've connected the Zoom to the iPad via USB.

If that's the case, the Zoom acts as a simple stereo USB interface for the iPad and you lose the multitrack recording capability.

Perhaps you could try disconnecting the USB, and connecting the audio out of the iPad into the Zoom so that you can use it as a multitrack recorder to capture your sources independently. You can then transfer the files into the iPad afterwards for editing etc.

if you need to stream live without post-production, then I guess you'll need a simple external mixer to premix the various sound sources into a stereo mix.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby AndyOne » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Ah... I think the critical information we're missing is that you've connected the Zoom to the iPad via USB.

If that's the case, the Zoom acts as a simple stereo USB interface for the iPad and you lose the multitrack recording capability.

Perhaps you could try disconnecting the USB, and connecting the audio out of the iPad into the Zoom so that you can use it as a multitrack recorder to capture your sources independently. You can then transfer the files into the iPad afterwards for editing etc.

H

Hi Hugh

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for not stating that, but yes, I've connected the Zoom H6 via USB and an USB to lightning converter.

I don't need to get the audio out of the iPad - but into the iPad. As stated I use Zoom H6 together with the sennheiser kit. I can't connect phantom powered microports directly to the iPad as this has no XLR-entrances. That's why I need Zoom H6.

Best,

Andreas
AndyOne
New here

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:26 pm

I think you probably need a different audio interface that can send more than 2 channels to the iPad. I've just had a quick read of my Zoom U-44 manual and it doesn't mention any channel count limits when working with an iPad so it doesn't appear to be a general limitation - just a limitation of your H6.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:19 pm

If I understand correctly, you don't want 3/4 separate tracks of audio in the iPad but simply to mix 3 or 4 mic inputs into a single, stereo track? According to the manual for the current H6 you can mix the inputs and send a stereo mix to the iPad. Read P68-72 of the manual here https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/H6-Manual.pdf
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........