You are here

Headphones for mixing and tracking?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Headphones for mixing and tracking?

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:05 am

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Freelance Subversive » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:17 am

Martin Walker wrote:
blinddrew wrote:
Sam Inglis wrote:[Bear in mind that if you use the Sonarworks application it introduces quite a significant level drop.
Weird, I don't find this. In fact for me it boosts the overall output level.

I suspect it's all about making sure that any EQ boosts created by Sonarworks' profile don't result in clipping at the output.

For instance, if Sonarworks includes a 6dB peak in its chosen headphone profile, you'll probably have to reduce its output level fader by 6dB to avoid clipping if your audio files peak at near 0dBFS. This I believe is the level drop that Sam's referring to.

However, if your audio files are at more modest levels, you may find you can leave the Sonarworks output level fader set to 0dB, in which case the same 6dB profile peak would make it sound louder ;)

Martin

That's the very explanation offered by Sonarworks; however, on my system, Reference 4 (both system app and plug-in) dramatically reduces output, irrespective of whether calibration is bypassed. Turning off 'safe headroom' permits only a modicum of extra output, not enough to trouble all but the very most sensitive of hearing. Whereas, my computer's built-in amp offers enough output to be highly uncomfortable at 20% volume, in most scenarios.

Clutching at straws: is it something that affects only the Mac platform — the way Sonarworks handles/is handled by core audio, perhaps?
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby Hrodulf » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:26 pm

If you're using a Mac, try Spotlight > Audio Midi Setup. The master and/or LR channels may be turned down.
Hrodulf
Regular

Postby Freelance Subversive » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:54 pm

Hrodulf wrote:If you're using a Mac, try Spotlight > Audio Midi Setup. The master and/or LR channels may be turned down.

Wonderful! Thank you, It hadn't occurred to check Audio/MIDI Setup — master is greyed-out but L/R faders are available. That has done the trick with the built-in headphone output and systemwide, though shall have to investigate if it is the same case re interface.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Previous