You are here

Audient id14 not powering Neumann TLM 103, but Focusrite 2i2 will....

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Audient id14 not powering Neumann TLM 103, but Focusrite 2i2 will....

Postby TRUMPETSIZZLE » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:55 pm

Just last week I bought a brand new AUDIENT ID14 from a reputable seller on Amazon.
BACKGROUND THAT LED UP TO PURCHASE:
Completely new to Audient. My current interface is the tried and true Scarlett Focusrite 2i2. However, I got a Universal Twin Apollo with Thunderbolt that did not work with my Windows 10...until i ran it through my Yamaha MG10XU.
Wow! Amazing sound compared to Focusrite!
Problem: I don't want to have to lug out the big Yamaha MG10XU every time I record. Well, it's big compared to 2i2 and apollo twin, right?
So, returned the twin and got.....AUDIENT ID14

I read the instructions don't worry: "make sure to plug the unit into a power source if you would like the phantom 48v to work.
I DID!
Didn't work.
I thought possibly something was wrong with my baby, my Neumann TLM 103, a very kick-a$$ mic!
Nope, nothing wrong because I dusted off my Scarlett 2i2, fired her up and the Neumann worked great. I know it is working when i can hear worms crawling outside in the backyard and birds burping, ...and my own breathing.
Plugged it back into the Audient. Plugged that into the wall.
NOPE, NADA, OUT OF LUCK!
So, I checked the status green light on the Audient. It was on. I then unplugged it from the wall. It was still on.
I messed with the switch for phantom back and forth.
A SIDE NOTE: Can't stand no light indicator on the Audient for Phantom. You turn it on or off and nothing to visually see. On the focusrite and the twin apollo you KNOW when that phantom power is working.
So, for you experts in Audient, is it defective? Did I screw something up? Not set it up right? Does Audient have a problem with windows 10? (even though you downloaded the drivers and updated from Audient)
I will be returning this sadly. I really needed a great audio interface that can hold it's weight to the venerable NEUMANN TLM 103.
Thanks for any input and expertise you may have in this area.
:thumbup:
TRUMPETSIZZLE
New here

Re: Audient id14 not powering Neumann TLM 103, but Focusrite 2i2 will....

Postby Kwackman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:17 pm

Can you try a dynamic mic?
If you can, and it works as expected, then you know you've set up the iD software correctly.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:12 pm

Have you tried contacting Audient just to check you've followed the right procedure?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:28 pm

Sounds like there's a problem with the mains power supply. So start at the beginning: check the mains outlet is live by plugging in a table lamp or something. If that's okay, check the country-specific plug adaptor plate is fitted correctly to the universal power supply module. Next, disconnect the USB lead from the ID14 and check if it powers up with the psu alone.

If you're still having trouble give Audient a call; they're very helpful people.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Note re phantom power indicator LEDs?

The LED could be in any of several points in the voltage supply. Not going to be showing the actual voltage at the XLR because that would load the output. Most likely at the "other end" of the supply to the 6k8 resistors but could even be in the low voltage line to the 48V converter! Thus the light could be on but the converter is not at home!

The only sure test is the voltage at the MIC end of the XLR cable and as Hugh has mentioned many times you should get 48V from pin 2 to 1 and 3 to 1.

After mic, cable and AI the very next thing any muso should get is a 20 quid digital meter!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:15 pm

I've mentioned this thread to Dan at Audient. He may be along himself but in the meantime, he has suggested pretty much the same things I have:

Dan wrote:Double-check that the regional pins for the power supply are fully pushed into place. They should click onto place and sit flush with the base of the supply as seen below:

plug bad.jpg
Plug good.jpg

These can be a little stiff upon first use so you may really need to give these a push to get them to sit into place. The unit will still work as the rest of the iD14 will run off the 5V USB bus voltage but the phantom power does require the PSU to be connected up.

If the plug is correctly assembled you can test that the power supply is actually working by unplugging the USB but leaving the PSU in. If the PSU is working the iD14 will remain powered on. If the iD14 doesn't stay on then this does look like a fault with the supply so I'd recommend the user gets in touch with us so we can get a new supply sent out.

The pics show the connecting plate for the UK mains socket -- I don't think we've established where you are geographically -- but the other country-specific mains plates all fit the same way.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby TRUMPETSIZZLE » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Hey Thanks everyone for your input.
Ok:
1. I am in central texas which is central U.S.A. time zone and...PLUGS and OUTLETS.
I double checked the plug, made sure it was correctly installed.
NADA
2. I have called INTERNATIONAL LONG DISTANCE to Audient. For those of you who don't know, they are across the pond in great britain somewhere...London maybe? A customer makes the effort, spends his own dime, but...can't get a return call from AUDIENT - Strike 1 for customer service
NADA
3. I did the power on remove the USB trick. UNIT still works.
NADA
4. I uninstalled ALL drivers and reinstalled and made sure correct drivers only AUDIENT.
NADA
5. I have a friend who is an electrician. He brought over some fancy equipment, but ended up only using a small voltmeter. Wall outlet, plugs, unit...works!
NADA
6. I sent AUDIENT an email expressing my disappointment. NO RESPONSE! Strike 2
NADA
So guys, my first and only experience with AUDIENT...blows! Because of all the troubles listed above, I will unilaterally give AUDIENT it's 3rd strike...THEY ARE OUT.
Once they had my money, they couldn't be bothered to help someone who had NEVER tried their product before.
EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.
I am also very very happy and delighted to have several of you make an effort to help solve this problem. It seems obvious the unit is defective in some way...hardware, drivers, software, whatever, but my task in life is not to go spend hundreds of dollars on a new item and then have a part time job screwing around with it to make it work.
Thanks again!
TRUMPETSIZZLE
New here

Postby zenguitar » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:37 pm

Are you CERTAIN that they haven't replied to your emails? It is not inconcievable that your email client/provider has wrongly tagged replies as spam and hidden them from you.

Best worth double checking.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby TRUMPETSIZZLE » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 pm

zenguitar wrote:Are you CERTAIN that they haven't replied to your emails? It is not inconcievable that your email client/provider has wrongly tagged replies as spam and hidden them from you.

Best worth double checking.

Andy :beamup:
hehehe yup, my phone works and i've checked all folders in my email.
Thanks anyway
TRUMPETSIZZLE
New here

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:44 am

Well given you’ve just bought it from a reputable Amazon agent you should be able to send it back for a refund, or replacement.

What’s odd is that you also had trouble with the UAD Apollo. Two reputable brands not working on a Windows 10 computer? .... that smacks of driver or user issues.

I have both Audient and UAD gear, they are very good. Do you know someone who has another computer (maybe a Mac) to see if you can isolate the issue down to drivers/your computer?

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby CS70 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:57 am

It is possible that the circuit providing phantom power on your Audient is faulty. Never seen it myself, but of course it happens, even to the best.

But.. running an Apollo thru a mixer and then claiming "amazing sound"? NADA! :lol:
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:06 am

TRUMPETSIZZLE wrote:1. I am in central texas

Okay. Helpful to know. Thanks.

Okay. It's a simple error to make but easy to check. So that's good.

2. I have called INTERNATIONAL LONG DISTANCE to Audient....but...can't get a return call from AUDIENT - Strike 1 for customer service.

Audient are actually based outside London in a county near the south coast called Hampshire... FYI ;-)

You haven't said what transpired from your conversation with the support line... I can appreciate your concern over the cost of a long international phone call, but I don't know of any pro-audio company that routinely returns prospective support calls. That seems an unrealistic expectation to me.

Nevertheless, I have drawn Audient's attention to your comments here and they responded as I knew they would -- shocked, surprised and very keen to look in to what has happened and to sort this out for you as quickly as they can. They really are a good company and really do have great customer support... normally!

Okay. So that tells us the external PSU is functioning properly, Good news.

4. I uninstalled ALL drivers and reinstalled and made sure correct drivers only AUDIENT.

Unlikely to affect the phantom power supply, but a sensible step to take.

5. I have a friend who is an electrician. He brought over some fancy equipment, but ended up only using a small voltmeter. Wall outlet, plugs, unit...works!

Yes, I think you've already proven that. :-)

The one test you haven't mentioned -- but which is fundamental to diagnosing the problem -- is whether the phantom voltage is actually present at the end of the mic cable to power your TLM103.

Ask your friend with the voltmeter to check the DC voltage between pins 2 and 1, and between pins 3 and 1 at the female XLR (both at the end of the mic cable, and at the input sockets on the iD14 itself -- with the external PSU plugged in and the phantom switches in the ON position. You should be seeing something very close to 48V DC.

6. I sent AUDIENT an email expressing my disappointment. NO RESPONSE!

Give the guys a chance! It's a small company and it's not unreasonable to take a day or to to turn around an email support query. They are working in a very different time zone to you...

Because of all the troubles listed above, I will unilaterally give AUDIENT it's 3rd strike...THEY ARE OUT.

That's a shame because they make really good products.

Based on what you've said, it sounds like you have a faulty unit (I think CS70 might be right with his supposition of a failed internal DC-DC converter). That's extremely unusual, but it can happen, and if so you've just been incredibly unlucky.

Anyway, you've done (almost) all the reasonable checks you can and established the product appears to be faulty, so you should return it to your Amazon retailer and either get a replacement or, if you've really lost faith in Audient, a refund.

Once they had my money, they couldn't be bothered to help someone who had NEVER tried their product before.

I appreciate your immense frustration and disappointment, of course, but I don't think you're being entirely fair or reasonable.

Like others here, I'm also completely perplexed with your earlier comments about the Apollo Twin working through your USB mixer... No idea what you had going there, but it doesn't make any sense to me!

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Audient » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:40 am

TRUMPETSIZZLE wrote:Hey Thanks everyone for your input.
Ok:
1. I am in central texas which is central U.S.A. time zone and...PLUGS and OUTLETS.
NADA
2. I have called INTERNATIONAL LONG DISTANCE to Audient. For those of you who don't know, they are across the pond in great britain somewhere...London maybe? A customer makes the effort, spends his own dime, but...can't get a return call from AUDIENT - Strike 1 for customer service
NADA
NADA
NADA
NADA
6. I sent AUDIENT an email expressing my disappointment. NO RESPONSE! Strike 2
NADA
So guys, my first and only experience with AUDIENT...blows! Because of all the troubles listed above, I will unilaterally give AUDIENT it's 3rd strike...THEY ARE OUT.
EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.
I am also very very happy and delighted to have several of you make an effort to help solve this problem. It seems obvious the unit is defective in some way...hardware, drivers, software, whatever, but my task in life is not to go spend hundreds of dollars on a new item and then have a part time job screwing around with it to make it work.
Thanks again!

Hello there,

It is of course extremely disappointing to hear that you've had this experience so far with your iD14.

Apologies we weren't able to take your call. As we are based just outside of London in the UK, the time difference meant we will have most likely been outside of the office when your call came through.

Can I check with you through which channel you tried to contact us on? I checked with our support team here and we don't appear to have received any correspondence from yourself. If for any reason messages are going missing in our system, we'd like to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Would you be able to contact us using the following link: https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If you are able to provide contact details. I'm sure we can arrange a time to give you a call and get to the bottom of this for you.

Again, apologies that you've had a poor experience so far but we'd love to put things right for you if given the chance.

- Daniel

Technical Support Manager
Audient Ltd
Audient

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:55 am

Audient wrote:Hello there,

It's is of course extremely disappointing to hear that you've had this experience so far with your iD14.

Apologies we weren't able to take your call. As we are based just outside of London in the UK, the time difference meant we will have most likely been outside of the office when your call came through.

Can I check with you through which channel you tried to contact us on? I checked with our support team here and we don't appear to have received any correspondance from yourself. If for any reason messages are going missing in our system, we'd like to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Would you be able to contact us using the following link: https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If you are able to provide contact details. I'm sure we can arrange a time to give you a call and get to the bottom of this for you.

Again, apologies that you've had a poor experience so far but we'd love to put things right for you if given the chance.

-Daniel

Audient Ltd
Super! Now, why can't ALL companies be like this?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby TRUMPETSIZZLE » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:Well given you’ve just bought it from a reputable Amazon agent you should be able to send it back for a refund, or replacement.

What’s odd is that you also had trouble with the UAD Apollo. Two reputable brands not working on a Windows 10 computer? .... that smacks of driver or user issues.

I have both Audient and UAD gear, they are very good. Do you know someone who has another computer (maybe a Mac) to see if you can isolate the issue down to drivers/your computer?

Bob
Yes, odd, but a little bad luck. I have actually ventured into 3:
1. Apollo twin: Could not get the thunderbolt to work with my pc, but I ran it through my Yamaha MX100U MIXER (probably not exact model name) and the Apollo worked marvellously, but I didn't want to have to run it through that mixer everytime.
2. Got on ebay and got a USED apollo. Turns out it was possibly stolen and also had problems even though this version of the apollo was their 3.0 usb...It was used and beat up quite good so I got suckered over at ebay.
3. The last one is the one posted here.

The focusrite I have had for 2 years now absolutely no problems with anything...works just fine.
TRUMPETSIZZLE
New here

Postby TRUMPETSIZZLE » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:09 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
TRUMPETSIZZLE wrote:1. I am in central texas

Okay. Helpful to know. Thanks.

Okay. It's a simple error to make but easy to check. So that's good.

2. I have called INTERNATIONAL LONG DISTANCE to Audient....but...can't get a return call from AUDIENT - Strike 1 for customer service.

Audient are actually based outside London in a county near the south coast called Hampshire... FYI ;-)

You haven't said what transpired from your conversation with the support line... I can appreciate your concern over the cost of a long international phone call, but I don't know of any pro-audio company that routinely returns prospective support calls. That seems an unrealistic expectation to me.

Nevertheless, I have drawn Audient's attention to your comments here and they responded as I knew they would -- shocked, surprised and very keen to look in to what has happened and to sort this out for you as quickly as they can. They really are a good company and really do have great customer support... normally!

Okay. So that tells us the external PSU is functioning properly, Good news.

Unlikely to affect the phantom power supply, but a sensible step to take.

Yes, I think you've already proven that. :-)

The one test you haven't mentioned -- but which is fundamental to diagnosing the problem -- is whether the phantom voltage is actually present at the end of the mic cable to power your TLM103.

Ask your friend with the voltmeter to check the DC voltage between pins 2 and 1, and between pins 3 and 1 at the female XLR (both at the end of the mic cable, and at the input sockets on the iD14 itself -- with the external PSU plugged in and the phantom switches in the ON position. You should be seeing something very close to 48V DC.

6. I sent AUDIENT an email expressing my disappointment. NO RESPONSE!

Give the guys a chance! It's a small company and it's not unreasonable to take a day or to to turn around an email support query. They are working in a very different time zone to you...

Because of all the troubles listed above, I will unilaterally give AUDIENT it's 3rd strike...THEY ARE OUT.

That's a shame because they make really good products.

Based on what you've said, it sounds like you have a faulty unit (I think CS70 might be right with his supposition of a failed internal DC-DC converter). That's extremely unusual, but it can happen, and if so you've just been incredibly unlucky.

Anyway, you've done (almost) all the reasonable checks you can and established the product appears to be faulty, so you should return it to your Amazon retailer and either get a replacement or, if you've really lost faith in Audient, a refund.

I appreciate your immense frustration and disappointment, of course, but I don't think you're being entirely fair or reasonable.

Like others here, I'm also completely perplexed with your earlier comments about the Apollo Twin working through your USB mixer... No idea what you had going there, but it doesn't make any sense to me!

H
Well, since you think so highly of this company, AND the dealer actually got back to me right away and said it could be returned no problem, I will give it another chance.
I will box it up, ship it back to Amazon or the dealer and reorder another one and throw the wet spaghetti noodles at the wall and see if any stick.
If Audient is not my destiny, Is there something in the $500 to $1000 range that would do justice for my Neumann tlm103??
Thanks again!
Kurt
TRUMPETSIZZLE
New here

Postby TRUMPETSIZZLE » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:11 pm

Again, appreciate all feedback and response! I didn't specifically respond to everyone's comments so this is my general thank you to all!
Going to return and reorder another Audient and see what happens!
TRUMPETSIZZLE
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Good to see progress is being made.

With so many long responses it may have been overlooked, but I think it would be appropriate to recognise -- specifically -- the genuine and sincere attempts made by Audient (above) to reach out to you directly, given your earlier harsh criticism of the company. And I hope you take them up on their offer to discuss the problem even if you exchange the unit with the dealer.

The point is that the SOS forums are so highly rated in Google (and other search engines) that negative comments here can have a dramatic influence. That's a good when it's warranted, but perhaps rather disproportionately damaging in a case like this.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby TRUMPETSIZZLE » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Good to see progress is being made.

With so many long responses it may have been overlooked, but I think it would be appropriate to recognise -- specifically -- the genuine and sincere attempts made by Audient (above) to reach out to you directly, given your earlier harsh criticism of the company. And I hope you take them up on their offer to discuss the problem even if you exchange the unit with the dealer.

The point is that the SOS forums are so highly rated in Google (and other search engines) that negative comments here can have a dramatic influence. That's a good when it's warranted, but perhaps rather disproportionately damaging in a case like this.

H
Well Hugh I don't see anyone from Audient responding here. I didn't get any response via phone or email either. At the very least, I didn't get addressed by my name.
My criticism was not in the least bit harsh. In fact, anybody who knows me knows I was being very very gentle and left out profanity.
Why do I get the feeling you have some interest in this company beyond a fellow forum poster? Dealer? You resell on Ebay? Have friends at Audient?
Either way, please don't post any more regarding how wonderful Audient is because they are NOT!
My phone didn't ring and my email box is empty.
When a company like Audient behaves as they did, I take the gloves off.
I was considering leaving a review on my channel. Consider me the E.F. HUTTON of my world and at least 50,000 musicians worldwide will listen when i speak.
was just like you and audient, but now, After thousands of dollars in lost sales, I bet they are rethinking how intransigent their actions were to me. And my review of them is the permanent gift that will keep on giving.
No more inflated compliments about Audient, but if you do, expect to see a scathing review on Youtube which this forum has no control of!!!!!!!!!
TRUMPETSIZZLE
New here

Postby Audient » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:59 pm

TRUMPETSIZZLE wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Good to see progress is being made.

H
Well Hugh I don't see anyone from Audient responding here. I didn't get any response via phone or email either. At the very least, I didn't get addressed by my name.
My criticism was not in the least bit harsh. In fact, anybody who knows me knows I was being very very gentle and left out profanity.
Why do I get the feeling you have some interest in this company beyond a fellow forum poster? Dealer? You resell on Ebay? Have friends at Audient?
Either way, please don't post any more regarding how wonderful Audient is because they are NOT!
My phone didn't ring and my email box is empty.
When a company like Audient behaves as they did, I take the gloves off.
I was considering leaving a review on my channel. Consider me the E.F. HUTTON of my world and at least 50,000 musicians worldwide will listen when i speak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWLa1SjUvJk was just like you and audient, but now, After thousands of dollars in lost sales, I bet they are rethinking how intransigent their actions were to me. And my review of them is the permanent gift that will keep on giving.
No more inflated compliments about Audient, but if you do, expect to see a scathing review on Youtube which this forum has no control of!!!!!!!!!

Hello again Trumpet Sizzle,

Not sure if you did see our above reply but we would love to help out here wherever possible. I've checked all of our support inboxes and I can't seem to find a message from yourself nor do I have a number on which to contact you.

If you are able to get in touch with us via the following form with your contact details and details regarding your iD14 (Serial number, when it was purchased... etc), we'd be more than happy to arrange a call or find a way to help out otherwise:

https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I can see that you have now returned the iD14 and if there was a fault with your iD14, I'm sure the new one will get you up and running, but if you do experience any further problems, please let me know through the form above.

All the best,

Daniel
Audient Ltd
Audient

Next