You are here

Mac vs PC - sorry but I have to ask

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Mac vs PC - sorry but I have to ask

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Agharta wrote:
OneWorld wrote:And for some strange reason there's a sound driver installed with my graphics card and this shows as AMD High Definition Audio Device
All the above display in Device Manager/Sound Video and Game Controllers
Why would my graphics card install an audio driver?
I think it's required for HDCP content protection so that the audio path over HDMI is secured.

Makes sense but you certainly don't need the MOBO sound card if you have a USB or PCI interface. I always disabled it in my main PC running a 2496. I leave is working in this W7 HP laptop because I can then record radio sound (stereo mix) and it is convenient to just plug cans in. The drivers in my KA6 are good enough that they just overrule it, not all might?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:31 pm

ef37a wrote:
Agharta wrote:
OneWorld wrote:And for some strange reason there's a sound driver installed with my graphics card and this shows as AMD High Definition Audio Device
I think it's required for HDCP content protection so that the audio path over HDMI is secured.
Makes sense but you certainly don't need the MOBO sound card if you have a USB or PCI interface.
This is not the Mobo sound chip but one built into the graphics card which in this case was highlighted as being an AMD card.
I think the main purpose for it is for content protection purposes.
They want a secure path from the PC to a TV so that you can't rip the raw audio data stream.

It's useful when for example you connect a laptop to a TV, provided it's selected, otherwise you would get no audio passed to the TV over HDMI.
This is my limited understanding of the situation and I imagine there's more to it than this.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:58 pm

Agharta wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Agharta wrote:
Makes sense but you certainly don't need the MOBO sound card if you have a USB or PCI interface.
This is not the Mobo sound chip but one built into the graphics card which in this case was highlighted as being an AMD card.
I think the main purpose for it is for content protection purposes.
They want a secure path from the PC to a TV so that you can't rip the raw audio data stream.

It's useful when for example you connect a laptop to a TV, provided it's selected, otherwise you would get no audio passed to the TV over HDMI.
This is my limited understanding of the situation and I imagine there's more to it than this.

Yes, HDMI sound. THAT is what I said made sense but there is always, AFAIK, another soundcard on the MOBO. In fact I have an Asus MOBO that does not even have graphics! Hissed me off when I realized, had to shoot to Maplin and spend another 30 quid. Oh! Those were the days!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:05 pm

ef37a wrote:... but there is always, AFAIK, another soundcard on the MOBO.
We were talking about the HDMI audio chip on a Graphics Card though so different topic.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:22 am

Agharta wrote:
We were talking about the HDMI audio chip on a Graphics Card though so different topic.

No? OneWorld asked if he needed three "soundcards" or just his RME.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:33 pm

ef37a wrote:
Agharta wrote:

No? OneWorld asked if he needed three "soundcards" or just his RME.

Dave.

Yep, you got it in one :-)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:32 pm

ef37a wrote:
Agharta wrote:
No? OneWorld asked if he needed three "soundcards" or just his RME. Dave.
That was the bigger picture but I only responded and quoted him on the Graphics card chip hence that was the context of my engagement.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Agharta wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Agharta wrote:
No? OneWorld asked if he needed three "soundcards" or just his RME. Dave.
That was the bigger picture but I only responded and quoted him on the Graphics card chip hence that was the context of my engagement.

ALWAYS thinking of the bigger picture friend!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous