You are here

Using outboard without direct outs or inserts

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Using outboard without direct outs or inserts

Postby jimh76 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 am

Hi

I have a Tascam DP32SD which is great.

I currently have an outboard compressor (dbx186), and an Aphex 104 (original) and an planning on getting a dbx 286 voice channel.

With my old Akai DPS16 (which also didn't have direct outs or inserts), to get a track out and to the compressor and back in again, I used to put the track being processed hard left, take the left stereo out of the Akai into the dbx in, then take the dbx out back into an input on the Akai and run that hard right. I would then be able to solo the input track and see what I'm doing to it compression wise and then record it. Complicated I know, but it got the results I wanted. I would then transfer the original track to a virtual track (in case I wanted to go back to to say track at a later date) and hey Presto, job's done.

Now with my Tascam, no matter what I do using the same technique, I get feedback, howl round, whatever, but I can't seem to do it the same way without getting issues.

I don't really want to use a send and record the return as even with the send pre fader and the send turned up to 127 I don't think it's sending the whole track, is it?

I'm a bit confused, but love my outboard and dmmt want to see it being redundant.

Any thoughts?

Jim
jimh76
Poster

Re: Using outboard without direct outs or inserts

Postby garrettendi » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:13 am

Welcome to the forums!

I have the DP-24SD but I'm afraid I've never tried this.

I did ask the forum guys how to do it, and they were very helpful - I just haven't had a chance to actually do it yet.

Having said that, the general consensus in my own thread was to use send/return, but I'd be interested to see if there's another way of achieving this.

Sorry this post was completely unhelpful!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Postby jimh76 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 am

:lol:
No worries.
jimh76
Poster

Postby permanent_daylight » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:49 pm

jimh76 wrote:Hi

I have a Tascam DP32SD which is great.

I currently have an outboard compressor (dbx186), and an Aphex 104 (original) and an planning on getting a dbx 286 voice channel.

With my old Akai DPS16 (which also didn't have direct outs or inserts), to get a track out and to the compressor and back in again, I used to put the track being processed hard left, take the left stereo out of the Akai into the dbx in, then take the dbx out back into an input on the Akai and run that hard right. I would then be able to solo the input track and see what I'm doing to it compression wise and then record it. Complicated I know, but it got the results I wanted. I would then transfer the original track to a virtual track (in case I wanted to go back to to say track at a later date) and hey Presto, job's done.

Now with my Tascam, no matter what I do using the same technique, I get feedback, howl round, whatever, but I can't seem to do it the same way without getting issues.

I don't really want to use a send and record the return as even with the send pre fader and the send turned up to 127 I don't think it's sending the whole track, is it?

I'm a bit confused, but love my outboard and dmmt want to see it being redundant.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Surely this is the whole purpose of a send/return? Why won't that work? I don't have a dp32sd but why would it not just send the track at the level you set it to?
permanent_daylight
Regular