You are here

Brainworx Neve or SSL channel?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Brainworx Neve or SSL channel?

Postby Demious » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:01 am

Everywhere around you see SSL channel plugins being used.
With the new Brainworx channel strip plugins, I though to take the plunge and finally get an SSL channel strip and I'm testing the demo now, but I thought to have a look at the Neve channel strip as well, at the same time, but so far, the Neve dynamics seem more flexible and work a lot nicer, more intuitive, and the plugin s seems to have more depth to sound then the SSL. The SSL is really clean and tight, but next to the Neve, it sounds a little flat and lifeless and when working with the dynamics its much harder to hear small differences, I'm more looking at values, instead of listening to the movement of the sound.
These plugins arent cheap, I want to make the right choice and I'd just like to hear some opinions from people who have experience with both systems
What's for so many people the reason to choose an SSL channel strips over a Neve?
Demious
Poster
Cheers!
Maarten

System: i7-8700k @ 5GHz, 8GB @ 2400MHz, Win10/x64, Mixbus v4, MOTU 828mkII, Adams T7V

Re: Brainworx Neve or SSL channel?

Postby desmond » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:14 am

It's mostly a sound character thing, for me, when it come to those plugins.

While these are kind of subtle things, the SSL "sound" is different to the Neve "sound". It is for me, as you say, a clean, tight, 80s, "pop" character, whereas the Neves are less opinionated, a little softer, more vintage, more "70s".

I haven't tried/compared them for a while, but when UA first released the Neve and SSL channel strips, the Neve channel strips for me were kind of bland and didn't give me much character (and I already had channel strips that did that job), whereas the SSL's were more "shouty" and imparted a definite sonic character - not necessarily great for everything, but great if you want that colour.

So I bought the SSL ones, and use them when I want that type of vibe. But these kinds of things a personal to your tastes and your music, so just because something is popular doesn't mean it will work for you. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Demious » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:55 am

Thanks Desmond!
It's indeed personal, but because of the familiarity of the SSL, and it sounds great of course, no doubt about that, I just started with it and I notice that it does some things better than the Neve, but I can say the same, the other way around. For one sound its harder to get the tight rock 'slam' from the Neve (but I'm still getting there), but on the other hand, other sounds are much easier to dial in, than on the SSL, when I want more transparency, the Neve has my preference. The more I dive into this, the harder it gets to make a choice! :P
So far the dynamic section and the lo and hi section of the EQ of the Neve have my preference, although I'm missing a little of that tight, flat snap in drums, that's so easy to make with the SSL. Now it's up to what I can adjust with other plugins around them to get the snap from the SSL with the Neve, or openness from the Neve with the SSL.
I'm glad I've got another 10 days to decide. ;)
Demious
Poster
Cheers!
Maarten

System: i7-8700k @ 5GHz, 8GB @ 2400MHz, Win10/x64, Mixbus v4, MOTU 828mkII, Adams T7V

Postby The Elf » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 am

The thing I've always loved about SSL is how it asserts itself on audio and turns it into something familiary 'like a record'. The gate and compressor, specifically, almost seem to know what you want to hear.

I won't pretend to know everything about Neve, but the first time I swept the mid frequency of a Neve EQ I felt that at last I knew what quality EQ was about.

SSL helps me 'reduce' sounds to practically fit in a mix. Neve helps me to make sounds larger than life.

[opinion]SSL is an accountant - Neve is a street performer. The world needs both...[/opinion]
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby jaminem » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Don't discount the Softube option. I know Console One can seem a little expensive compared to buying just a plugin, but the benefits to your workflow are enormous (well they were to mine) you get SSL 400 emulation with it and you can also get K series, Neve, API and Summit audio strips, if you want to change later

Use mine all the time, it rocks
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:57 pm

jaminem wrote:Don't discount the Softube option. I know Console One can seem a little expensive compared to buying just a plugin, but the benefits to your workflow are enormous (well they were to mine) you get SSL 400 emulation with it and you can also get K series, Neve, API and Summit audio strips, if you want to change later

Not only you can change, but you can combine them also :-D

I use class A (neve?) channel strip with SSL EQ quite often
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:07 am

ore_terra wrote:
jaminem wrote:Don't discount the Softube option. I know Console One can seem a little expensive compared to buying just a plugin, but the benefits to your workflow are enormous (well they were to mine) you get SSL 400 emulation with it and you can also get K series, Neve, API and Summit audio strips, if you want to change later

Not only you can change, but you can combine them also :-D

I use class A (neve?) channel strip with SSL EQ quite often

That was one of the things I really liked about the Focusrite Liquid Mix... you could combine different simulations of EQ on a per band basis!
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com