You are here

Track Marking Tape

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Track Marking Tape

Postby jimh76 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure this question is up there with "which mic pre-amp" or "what reverb plug-in is best for creating the sound of a small church with lead roof", but has anyone got any recommendations for the best tape (as in masking tape, electrical tape etc) to use for sticking to mixers and writing down what each channel is being used for.

I currently own a Tascam DP32SD Portastudio and like to have a strip of tape below the faders for each song I'm working on with the key of the song, tempo and what's on each track (kick, snare, etc). I then keep these on a strip of plastic and have my own non-DAW recall (... :clap: ). I use simple masking tape at the moment but once it's stuck on it goes a bit dark, and even with black pen it can be hard to read the writing. I've been looking for white electrical tape but assume it's going to be hard to write on with a normal pen.

I also want to make sure that it doesn't leave a sticky mess when removed as well.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

My question
jimh76
Poster

Re: Track Marking Tape

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:49 pm

HOSA lbl-505

http://hosatech.com/product/lbl-505/

Available from studiospares in uk, or guitar centre in the us, as well as on amazon, eBay, etc.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jimh76 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Aye carumba!

It's expensive stuff that Hugh... (thanks though for the reply).

Is there any cheaper non-studio specific tape that anyone uses as a substitution?

Not studio critical, but an annoyance just the same.

I'm really trying to keep my studio non-computer based (more for nostalgic & practical reasons than any other), but as I only have a finite amount of time to mess in my studio (2 & 5 year old kids.... :?) I haven't really got the time to spend loading up a computer, updating software, checking compatibility issues between units, finding why there's a low frequency buzz, high latency, etc.

With my DP32 it loads up within 30 secs and it's there for recording off the bat. Just add a couple of mics, a Line 6 POD and I'm away..until the 5 year old wants to know where his Batman figure is (not the big one, the small one with the cape.....!).

I do struggle more now to add my outboard gear into the recording chain though (no inserts or direct outs on the DP32).

Another issue is monitoring, whereby my test tracks (Back in Black - AC DC, Bombtrack - Rage etc) tend to have very goor stereo imaging, buy my tracks seems to be a bit washy with stereo imaging, so not sure if this is a monitoring issue, or a patching issue within the DP32...None the wiser.?

Anyway, cheaper alts to the tape would be appreciated.

Thanks,
jimh76
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Do a search for 'console tape' or 'console marking tape' -- there are several similar alternatives. JVCC ART-11 is one I've come across.

Re the stereo imaging; poor imaging is often caused by local reflections off objects and boundaries near the speakers -- computer screens are a classic problem. Applying broadband absorbers at the mirror points can make a massive improvement.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Kwackman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:51 pm

jimh76 wrote:Is there any cheaper non-studio specific tape that anyone uses as a substitution?

Magnetic strip?
I got some thin light grey stuff from a company that make signage for vans etc.
I cut it into thin strips long enough to cover all the faders on my desk.
Re-usable, if you use a chinagraph pencil rather than a permanent marker.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:01 pm

I just use standard matt finish insulation tape and write on it with a medium marker. While it may leave a bit of a residue (the matt tape is much better than the shiny stuff I've used) it can be easily cleaned with IPA and most of the time there will be tape on there anyway. When I was working on multiple projects at the same time I would often have a collection of these strips hanging from a convenient shelf.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:43 pm

White insulation tape and a sharpie does the job. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 pm

I loathe insulting tape! It snaps rather than tears, marking needs special pens and often smudges, and it leaves sticky residue on the console, especially if left in space for more than a few days.

The Hosa and JVCC tapes are paper-based, so tear easily and neatly, they don't leave any residue at all, regardless of how long they are in place, and you can write on them with anything without smudging. I've been using the same roll for a couple of years now and it will last a good few months yet... So the cost per console strip is pennies at most.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Wonks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 pm

James Perrett wrote:it can be easily cleaned with IPA
I like a decent bottled IPA (not that weak Greene King stuff though). Seems a shame to waste it on cleaning tape residue off. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:29 pm

That's me told! I only use it for live stuff when it's only on for an evening so not so much of an issue. I defer, once again, to your greater experience. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:36 pm

:D I have a bit of a thing about insulating tape.... Never found anything it's actually any use for because there are always better alternatives!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby resistorman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Have a look for white artist's tape... costs about half as much, might be the same thing!
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby jimh76 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 am

Cheers for all the suggestions peeps. I'll definitely have a look at all of them.

I'd already discounted insulation tape as I found it did smudge though.

Intrigued what artists tape is though. Where would you get this? Will look at jvcc as well. Cheers.
jimh76
Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:02 am

Artist tape is the same thing as console tape. I think it might be a brand.

I've used it for years. Goes a bit soft if you leave it in the sun but a regular sharpie works great. I label mics and cords as well with this stuff. I've not noticed residue but on some finishes it'll change the coloration slightly. I think it has something to do with ionizing anodized finishes.
Watchmaker
Regular
"one feels most reassured hearing an expert's opinions on the matter..."

Postby resistorman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:15 am

resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:06 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote::D I have a bit of a thing about insulating tape.... Never found anything it's actually any use for because there are always better alternatives!
I think about half my cars have been held together with insulation tape - the other half with gaffa tape. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 am

blinddrew wrote:I think about half my cars have been held together with insulation tape - the other half with gaffa tape. :)

Self-fusing silicone rubber tape is what you need. Does all the things insulting tape (and gaffa) does, but a load more as well (including being waterproof) making it massively more useful in the car toolbox! :D

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I loathe insulting tape!

Me too, that stuff is just so rude!

:bouncy:
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Brian M Rose » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Remember you can always use masking take and stick whatever white tape you want to on top. I use Dymo paper tape as most of the time, it's pretty permanent.
the one NO NO it using Chinagraph on the fader strip itself; (to mark levels) that's a capital offense!
Brian M Rose
Regular