You are here

Audacity: Track Height

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Audacity: Track Height

Postby audio_jungle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:16 pm

I am learning how to record in multiple tracks.

When I have 3 tracks defined n Audacity, and start recording, the tracks are tiny.

If I go to View > Track Size > Expand Collapsed Tracks it stretches all three tracks to fill my screen, but I have to do that every time I record which is a real pain.

I went to Preferences > Tracks > Display and checked Auto-Fit Track Height, but that doesn't do anything.

How can I fix this so the tracks are a viewable size when I record similar to how a stereo recording is by default?
audio_jungle
Regular

Re: Audacity: Track Height

Postby desmond » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:12 pm

audio_jungle wrote:When I have 3 tracks defined n Audacity, and start recording, the tracks are tiny.

If I go to View > Track Size > Expand Collapsed Tracks it stretches all three tracks to fill my screen, but I have to do that every time I record which is a real pain.

Sounds like your tracks are in Collapsed mode, perhaps? Click the down arrow to expand them to full size.

With a default config of Audacity, this is the behaviour for me when I add new tracks (they are not added in Collapsed mode.):

Audacity - Add Tracks
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lwbadamolefkpm/aud.mp4?dl=0

This is what happens when you Collapse them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pymwfrlt5nskq2r/aud2.mp4?dl=0

Also, the Preferences -> Tracks -> Auto-fit Track Height checkbox should help...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby audio_jungle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:37 pm

desmond wrote:
audio_jungle wrote:When I have 3 tracks defined n Audacity, and start recording, the tracks are tiny.

Sounds like your tracks are in Collapsed mode, perhaps? Click the down arrow to expand them to full size.

But the whole point is I don't want to have to to that everytime I start recording!

desmond wrote:With a default config of Audacity, this is the behaviour for me when I add new tracks (they are not added in Collapsed mode.):

Audacity - Add Tracks
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lwbadamolefkpm/aud.mp4?dl=0

I have Recording Channels set to 4, so I get 4 Tracks by default when I open up a new workspace (??) and hit record...

desmond wrote:This is what happens when you Collapse them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pymwfrlt5nskq2r/aud2.mp4?dl=0

After you collapse them, that is what it looks like when I hot record.

desmond wrote:Also, the Preferences -> Tracks -> Auto-fit Track Height checkbox should help...

As mentioned, I set that and it doesn't help.
audio_jungle
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:27 pm

So, I'd suggest you set up your tracks how you want them to be - number, channel config, track height, audio source etc.
Save this as a project, eg "Record.aup".

Now, when you want to run Audacity to record, simple double click on your Record.aup project file, and the project will be set up correctly for you, every time, ready for you to start recording.

Or run Audacity and select the template Record.aup project from the Open Recent menu, whichever is easiest.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 pm

audio_jungle wrote:
desmond wrote:Also, the Preferences -> Tracks -> Auto-fit Track Height checkbox should help...

As mentioned, I set that and it doesn't help.

Note: This won't do anything if you've already created your tracks (as they're already set at a given height).
However, when you create a track, it will autosize everything to fit in your vertical space. (This is just to help you understand what it does.)

There seems to be an initial track size default that gets set somehow, but it's use isn't obvious to me - when I first created tracks, they were large (as shown in the video), but I played around resizing/adding/removing tracks, and now my default track height for new tracks is set to a smaller size, but I can't repeat the change nor change it reliably (maybe someone else knows the trick?), so likely this is what happened to you at some point - the initial track size has been set to this collapsed mode for you, and it won't change back. Which is annoying, but I find Audacity painful in many ways...!

In any case, creating a default template project, setting it up as you like and working from that should give you what you want - a set and forget starting point for your recording needs.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby audio_jungle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:58 am

*Delete*

[img] not working
audio_jungle
Regular