You are here

How many channels?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

How many channels?

Postby audio_jungle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:18 am

On my Mac, I have the "audio sources" for Loopback set to "Firefox" and "Logitech USB Headset".

If I want to record streaming radio and myself talking, how many channels should I set up?

It seems to me that the streaming broadcast should have a Left and Right channel, since the music is supposed to be in stereo.

And I have read that a human voice is considered mono.

So would putting my USB Headset on a 3rd channel suffice?

Or should I have a 3rd and 4th channel for my USB Headset?

Thanks,

Audio Jungle
audio_jungle
Regular

Re: How many channels?

Postby desmond » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Yes, as you've already figured, you want a stereo (2-channel) feed from Firefox, and a single mono channel from your mic headset.

All your reasoning is entirely correct. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 pm

audio_jungle wrote:On my Mac, I have the "audio sources" for Loopback set to "Firefox" and "Logitech USB Headset".

If I want to record streaming radio and myself talking, how many channels should I set up?
Audio Jungle

Two: a stereo track for the radio, a mono track for the voice.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby audio_jungle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 pm

desmond wrote:Yes, as you've already figured, you want a stereo (2-channel) feed from Firefox, and a single mono channel from your mic headset.

All your reasoning is entirely correct. :thumbup:

Would I gain/lose anything by recording my voice in a 3rd and 4th channel/track?

I was fiddling around and expanded to 4 channels. Why is it when I do that and then listen to my recording, my voice sounds louder?

Are the two tracks amplifying my voice, or is there another reason for this?

Thanks,

Audio Jungle
audio_jungle
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:31 pm

audio_jungle wrote:Would I gain/lose anything by recording my voice in a 3rd and 4th channel/track?

You're just wasting disk space.

audio_jungle wrote:I was fiddling around and expanded to 4 channels. Why is it when I do that and then listen to my recording, my voice sounds louder? Are the two tracks amplifying my voice, or is there another reason for this?

Mixing audio is essentially adding it together. If you have two "3"s, and you add them together, you get "6". In the same way if you play two identical mono tracks, you just get the same thing a few dBs louder (the same as just turning up the volume on a single channel by the same amount.)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby audio_jungle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:33 pm

desmond wrote:
audio_jungle wrote:Would I gain/lose anything by recording my voice in a 3rd and 4th channel/track?

You're just wasting disk space.

Okay.

desmond wrote:
audio_jungle wrote:I was fiddling around and expanded to 4 channels. Why is it when I do that and then listen to my recording, my voice sounds louder? Are the two tracks amplifying my voice, or is there another reason for this?

Mixing audio is essentially adding it together. If you have two "3"s, and you add them together, you get "6". In the same way if you play two identical mono tracks, you just get the same thing a few dBs louder (the same as just turning up the volume on a single channel by the same amount.)

Okay.

Before I get too deep into all of that, I suppose I better finish learning about setting up my gear!
audio_jungle
Regular