You are here

My KRKs are making some buzzing sounds? How to fix?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

My KRKs are making some buzzing sounds? How to fix?

Postby savamill » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:56 pm

My KRK Rokit 6 G2's are connected to Scarlett Focusrite 2i2. They make some buzzing sounds with some frequencies. If I try to adjust the volume using the knob on the back of the monitors, the unwanted sound follows the changes - it enhances / mutes. I didn't have this problem at first but after I changed my PC, this started.
By the way, I bought this interface (2i2) few months ago...
savamill
New here

Re: My KRKs are making some buzzing sounds? How to fix?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Are you using balanced cables between the interface and the speakers?

TRS-TRS or TRS-XLRm cables?

I expect you're going to say you're using TS-TS (instrument) cables or TS/phono-phono hi-fi cables... :-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:36 pm

What kind of buzz? Low frequency hum? High frequency fizz? Mid-range buzz? :~)
Is it continuous or interrupted?
What else do you have connected to the system? Do any of these other connections make it better/worse?
Etc.
Basically, the more information you can supply, the easier it is to start diagnosing any potential problems. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby savamill » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Are you using balanced cables between the interface and the speakers?

TRS-TRS or TRS-XLRm cables?

I expect you're going to say you're using TS-TS (instrument) cables or TS/phono-phono hi-fi cables... :-)

I'm currently using TRS-TRS but I'm planning to change to TRS-XLR
savamill
New here

Postby savamill » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:00 pm

blinddrew wrote:What kind of buzz? Low frequency hum? High frequency fizz? Mid-range buzz? :~)
Is it continuous or interrupted?
What else do you have connected to the system? Do any of these other connections make it better/worse?
Etc.
Basically, the more information you can supply, the easier it is to start diagnosing any potential problems. :)

I can't tell... Few high frequencies, buzzing is somewhere in the middle, no low end. Imagine like changing a radio station or something like that but without much of the high-end / white noise. It doesn't affect anything but it is annoying and bad if I'm doing some mixing. It is continuous. By the way, I'm using TRS-TRS and I'm planning to change to TRS-XLR. I have some basic stuff connected to usb ports, nothing connected to the interface except for the monitors.
savamill
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Hmmm... that's frustrating!

I was expecting unbalanced interconnects and an obvious ground loop... It is still probably a ground loop, though, just a harder one to resolve.

Are the speakers, interface, and computer all powered from the same mains plug-board? If not, it would be worthwhile arranging them to be powered that way as that minimises the size of the ground loop and any potential safety earth voltage differences.

If you're okay with some electrical DIY, then cutting and isolating the screen connections in the plugs at the speaker end of the cables might fix the problem. Alternatively, invest in a transformer isolation box like the ART DTI and connect it between the interface and speakers. It will separate the grounds of the computer/interface and speakers and thus break any ground loop.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Argiletonne » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:22 am

The obvious quick fix would seem to use different XLR interconnect cables.

Why are you not using speaker cables?

KRK's run hot and the buzz may be an indication of the computer in the signal.

What kind of computer makes a difference, whether it's a solid state or old fashioned one.

Does the buzz show up without the computer because you should investigate that if you haven't.

The real question is does the buzz occur on the audio recordings or is it only in the physical dimensions of the speakers?

Might be the speakers and you have no options, only saying, and you could adjust the volume of your monitoring from the focusrite to play softer but that's only based on if you were maxing out your volume all the time.

Sorry my life is rhetorical and I won't be able to readdress however you answer my queries.
Argiletonne
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Argiletonne wrote:The obvious quick fix would seem to use different XLR interconnect cables.

So obvious now you mention it...

Why are you not using speaker cables?

Probably because they are active speakers...

What kind of computer makes a difference, whether it's a solid state or old fashioned one.

My computer is old fashioned and runs on diesel. What should I do?

Sorry my life is rhetorical

Mine too. Exciting isn't it? :?
Hugh Robjohns