You are here

Trying to make my DAW my console and process the summing though my Allen + Heath analog mixer.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Trying to make my DAW my console and process the summing though my Allen + Heath analog mixer.

Postby samcharacter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:32 am

Can someone explain to me how I can set this up. Trying to make my DAW my consle and process the summing though my allen and heath analog mixer.

I recently read this thread this guy is explaining how he uses his daw as a console and his analog mixer for summing:

title: ANALOGUE CONSOLE w/ DAW SUMMING vs DAW CONSOLE w/ ANALOGUE SUMMING

URL=https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/140430-analogue-console-w-daw-summing-vs-daw-console-w-analogue-summing.html

It is the exact method that a lot of pros are doing now and I have always mixed in the box and don't know about hardware and wiring a whole lot so I am a bit of a noob on that, but I still wanted to give this mixing method a shot.

On the 2nd page a user asked...

"Can i use my Allen and Heath analog classic mixer GS3 as summing mixer ? so i summing 16 line from rosetta 800 and 003 to the mixer.. and send back as stereo to rosetta as like summing mixer are?"

but no one answered him. I have the same cheap mixer as him and was wondering if I can turn my daw into my console and sum with this mixer or any other cheap mackie or analog mixer). Can someone explain to me or draw a diagram on the wiring and what would I need to connect where; so I know how I would be able to do this?
samcharacter
New here

Re: Trying to make my DAW my consle and process the summing though my allen and heath analog mixer.

Postby desmond » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:41 am

If you want to sum in your analog mixer, it's quite straightforward:

- Plug as many output from your audio interface into as many channels on the mixer as you can - so if you have 16 audio outputs from your interface, plug each into its own mixer channel. You send tracks/stems to these outputs from your DAW.

- Plug a stereo pair of outputs from the desk into a spare pair of inputs on your audio interface. You record from these inputs back to a stereo track on your DAW.

Stems/Individual Tracks -> Mixer (Analog Summing) -> Record the "analog" mix in the DAW
desmond
Jedi Poster

Re: Trying to make my DAW my consle and process the summing though my allen and heath analog mixer.

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:49 am

You simply need an interface with many line outs, the more the merrier. Each line out goes into a mixer channel. The mains or tapeout from the desk go back to a stereo line in (or two mono ins, of course) so you can record the result in your pc.

The DAW project needs to be set up so that the DAW tracks output to the line out corresponding to the desk channel (instead of the DAW main bus, which is usually the default) and the DAW main bus takes its input from the stereo line-in to which the desk is sending.

So the signal goes DAW track -> D/A converter -> cable -> desk channel -> main bus/tape bus -> A/D converter -> DAW.

If your desk allows digital i/io, conceptually it's the same only the "cables" will be virtual (and carried over the digital connection) and no D/A - A/D will be necessary.

If you have more DAW tracks than physical desk channels, a project structure is to set up one bus for physical channel and, in the DAW, send the combination of tracks ("stem") you want to each bus (then it's the same as above, only it's the DAW buses that output to the line outs rather than the DAW tracks)

In this case it's DAW track(s) -> DAW bus -> D/A converter -> cable -> desk channel -> main bus/tape bus -> A/D converter -> DAW.

Interfaces with regular analog line ins (i.e. jack cables) tend to be limited in number of in/outs due to physical space. The Tascam US-20x20 is one of the biggest I know (together with my trusty prehistoric RME Multiface which has 10 ins / 10 outs and no preamps).

If you want more (so you have more 1-1 channels between DAW and desk) you usually need to use interfaces with digital audio outs (which can easily carry 24, 32, 64 channels). If your mixer has only analog ins, you need an a corresponding breakout cable which has the digital connector on one side and a the (huge) amount of analog jacks on the other side. If your desk allows direct digital connection, as above you just need the correct connector cable (in this latter case you need to select an interface which can send the same digital protocol that the desk can understand).
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page