You are here

Zoom R16 and Phantom Power

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Zoom R16 and Phantom Power

Postby skynet888 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Hello ALL, I recently bought a rode NT1000 microphone and when plugged into input 5 with the phantom power turned on the microphone only works for a short time. I see the meter drop off slowly as I am singing. The microphone is working fine and the cord is new. Has anyone else experienced this problem while using phantom power on the Zoom R16?
skynet888
New here

Re: Zoom R16 and Phantom Power

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:20 pm

First things first:
Have you tried it in other inputs?
Have you tried other microphones in input 5?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby skynet888 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:44 pm

On the Zoom R16 only inputs 5 and 6 work with phantom power and yes I tried both inputs. I have not tried another microphone however that is a very good suggestion following the process of elimination. If trying another microphone using phantom power and if it yields the same result I will try using an external phantom power supply to narrow down the problem further.
skynet888
New here

Postby ef37a » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:17 am

Hugh has on several occasions given the test for phantom power.

You should get 48V + or - 4V at the mic end of an XLR cable between pins 2 and 1 and 3 and 1 and the voltages should be identical. Repeat the test with the meter switched to read mA DC and each "leg" should read about 7mA. If those figures are close you have a faulty microphone or, more likely, a duff cable, probably a bad joint in the screen circuit.

Don't have a digital test meter? Go out NOW and buy one! You only need to spend the equivalent of a couple of pints and a good ruby.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:32 pm

The Rode will work on 24v phantom power as well (though with lower headroom), so anywhere between 22v and 52v should work with the mic without causing problems.

There may be a fault with the mic, and as you sing, humidity from your breath is affecting the mic. This shouldn't happen in normal conditions, but a dirty or faulty capsule or a less than very high impedance path to ground, could allow humidity to affect the mic and the output drop off.

Have you already got high humidity in the room you are using the mic in? In this situation, humid breath can sometimes tip things over the edge even for a working mic

If you leave the mic alone, say say one word to check its working, then try again 15 minutes later and if it's still working, when you say a single word, can you repeat this for four or five times? So is it only when you sing continuously that the output drops off? And how long does it take before the output returns?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Wonks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:45 pm

Also, are you just using USB power when using phantom power? Or just battery power? Or have you got the external supply plugged in? If it's just USB, or battery, try using the external PSU power. The Rode takes 6mA at 48v, and although the manual doesn't say it, the Zoom may struggle to provide the current for the phantom supply on just USB power alone (the manual does say it can only be be used as an SD card player OR an audio interface under USB power, so there are some limitations for this). Also if rechargeable batteries are being used, if they drop too low, there may be issues with phantom power as well.

Try and eliminate one thing at a time. I'd try a different mic lead first, and check that it is just a standard mic lead with pin 'n' at one end connecting (and only connecting) to pin 'n' at the other end.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby skynet888 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks ALL for your replies :)

I do have a volt meter and will check the voltage after work today.
I don't use batteries I use AC.
Humidity level would be very low, in act it is a little dry environment.

I very much appreciate everyone's input as more heads are better than one!

I will give an update tomorrow :)
skynet888
New here

Postby skynet888 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:08 pm

My apologies to ALL for my LATE reply! I ended up on hospital for some time but ok now.

On the bright side I found the problem! I replaced my microphone cord (although my old one was only 3 months old) with a new cord and now my Nt1000 mic works excellent with the zoom R16 phantom power!!

Thank you all so much for your input!!
skynet888
New here

Postby ef37a » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:11 pm

skynet888 wrote:My apologies to ALL for my LATE reply! I ended up on hospital for some time but ok now.

On the bright side I found the problem! I replaced my microphone cord (although my old one was only 3 months old) with a new cord and now my Nt1000 mic works excellent with the zoom R16 phantom power!!

Thank you all so much for your input!!

Glad you are sorted (but DO buy a meter!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster