You are here

RME babyface vs Uad apollo twin usb

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

RME babyface vs Uad apollo twin usb

Postby Guitarking » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:31 am

I see a lot of comparisons with the newer babyface pro but does anyone have experience with the old babyface vs the windows apollo usb? Is it worth upgrading?
Guitarking
Regular

Re: RME babyface vs Uad apollo twin usb

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:43 am

Both are great interfaces but if you're on windows I would go for the RME. It will be the most stable interface with great latency/none. And you get totalmix to do your routings. Much better and flexible than the UAD console.

Now the UAD plugins are probable some of the best sounding emulations on the market so you can add a USB satellite DSP after and get access to those great vintage emulations. If you want to.

The RME has adat in and out. The Twin only adat in so if you want to expand later the RME has more options.

Both get really hot when on so you can save some on the heating bills which ever you choose to buy... :thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:02 am

Humble Bee wrote:Both get really hot when on so you can save some on the heating bills which ever you choose to buy... :thumbup:

Oh good! So it's not just mine then :)

I have no experience of RME's kit so feel free to disregard this. I only wanted to say UAD kit is very, very good and the Console app hasn't caused me problems in doing anything I wanted so far. It also integrates with Softube's Console 1 control surface which is actually rather good.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Well I have the UAD Apollo twin mk2 quad and run it thunderbolt to my MacBook Air. It's great!

I use the marshalls and the ampegs in unison and it bugs me that console don't let you record a parallel clean DI track. It's possible but come on. Mono analog outs... please!

(I miss an adat out and console badly needs a thorough update. If they update console I might fish for a used Apollo 16mk2 hoping the price will come down now that ApolloX has been released.
If they don't I'll go RME digiface and Ferrofish Pulse 16 keeping the twin for what it does best: tracking with unison pres and amps + mixing)

But if I was on windows I would probably go RME (+UAD satellite)
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Ah, my usage is a bit different from yours so I don't see those issues. I bought an Apollo 8 duo while they were giving satellites away free. I sold the satellite and used the money to buy a second hand Twin. This makes use of one of my favourite features of the UAD kit and one that doesn't get mentioned very often: automatic aggregation. Between the two units I now have 6 preamps and 4 DSPs and a shed load of I/O all working together as one.

Out of curiosity does any other company's kit do that? Maybe Apogee Elements but otherwise I don't know.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Guitarking » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:58 pm

I was wondering whether the UAD USB apollo has better convertors and thus sounds better than the old babyface. I reckon the usb apollo is a more recent piece of gear...
Guitarking
Regular

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:37 pm

I think you would be hard pressed to hear the difference. Get the Apollo if you need the UAD plugins and unison technology. If not the rme is just as good or better.
If you go Apollo for the unison preamps make sure you get one DSP chip per preamp, a twin duo or a 8 quad. The apollos can only allocate 1 DSP per unison preamp and with their plugins getting more and more power hungry (some eat up to 70% of one DSP) you may run out of steam pretty quickly if you run a twin solo or 8 duo. They will last a bit longer like that.
And make sure you budget for the UAD plugins as they are pricy even when there's a sale on. Or get one of the bigger bundles. Then it's pretty reasonable.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:37 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Out of curiosity does any other company's kit do that? Maybe Apogee Elements but otherwise I don't know.

CC

On a mac you can easily create an aggregate audio interface combining any audio interfaces. Windows I don't know.

HB
Humble Bee
Regular