You are here

Making 4 Different (cheap) Hydrophones

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Making 4 Different (cheap) Hydrophones

Postby rofilm » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:02 am

I´ve started my experiments with hydrophones and (under-) water sounds at last. There will be more about the matter a bit later (sound design with these sounds, using them in tracks etc.).
https://youtu.be/A1m0QI9t-Qo
rofilm
Poster

Re: Making 4 Different (cheap) Hydrophones

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:20 am

I'd never realised quite how dangerous my drill was! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Making 4 Different (cheap) Hydrophones

Postby John Willett » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:16 pm

A friend of mine, a professional sound recordist who has recorded all over the world, used to make his own hydrophones very easily.

He bought a few of those hard rubber balls - the ones that bounce extremely high when you throw them down.

He then drilled a hole into the ball going just beyond the mid-way point.

He then inserted a tie microphone so that the diaphragm was in the centre of the ball and then sealed the cable entry with silicon.

NB: make sure you clear out any small rubber "swarf" from the hole and make sure that you do this operation in a really dry environment inside the house, as you do not want to seal any moisture inside the ball when you seal it up.

There is a small air pocket at the centre of the ball as the microphone was designed to operate with air.

As the ball is very dense it will sink in the water and this makes an excellent hydrophone - my friend used these professionally many times (by the way, I think Hugh knows him as well - his initials areTM).

NB: be careful how you mount them as noise can easily travel down the cable to the capsule - so it's best to use a flexible loop or some sort of elastic mounting to minimise cable noise.

:thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons