You are here

Which of these mics for drum recording?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Which of these mics for drum recording?

Postby kkiieeran » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:18 pm

I’m a relatively new producer and I’m going to an unfamiliar studio to record drums. Having looked at their mic selection, I’d like your opinion on what setup you’d go with for miccing up a full kit. Thanks!

The mics to choose from are:
Large selection of mics including S.E. Gemini2 and S.E. z5600 valve mics, 2x AKG c414, 2x S.E.4s, 2x M Audio Luna, Shure Drum Mic Set, Audix D6, 2x AKG C1000, AKG C4000, Sm58s Sm57s etc
kkiieeran

Re: Which of these mics for drum recording?

Postby ore_terra » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:09 pm

It looks like you got plenty option... do you have access to drum recordings done in that studio? Maybe you can just have a chat with the guys in there; they may have a better view on what sounds better in their studio and that would be a good advice IMHO if you are a bit lost.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:27 am

I can see a 'Shure Drum Mic Set' in the list... :)

* Audix D6 on the kick
* SM57 (beta?) on the snare
* sE4 on the hi hat
* 414s as overheads
* drum mic set on the toms

would be my first guess. Pretty much bog standard mic arrangement and nothing fancy.

But +1 for talking to their in house engineer and hearing how he's recorded drums before. And also, it depends on the music - a good live room and a couple of mics and you could have a killer jazz sound...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:48 pm

Use the C1000s for throwing at the drummer if they can't keep time. Never, ever, plug them in.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby CJmastering » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:23 pm

I’m a relatively new producer and I’m going to an unfamiliar studio to record drums. Having looked at their mic selection, I’d like your opinion on what setup you’d go with for miccing up a full kit. Thanks!
there is no way me or anyone else can tell you what will work the best, as each situation depends on the room you record in, the drum, the drum head the wood of the drums, if the drum have bottom heads, the sound they want for the drums, the sound of the music and lots of other variables that are unknown to us.

This is what you need to do, since i have no clue to what the room sounds like and what the drum sounds like and what type of music and sound you want. You need to experiment with a few different mics and see what best fits their style and the room the best. It takes work going into a new room with mics you do not know and drums you do not know.
You need to communicate with the band, since you are producing them. Talk to the drummer, he knows what sound he wants. We do not!

Good luck producing,
CJmastering
Poster
Online Audio Mixing and Mastering - Pro Online Mixing & Mastering, TV Commercials & Audio books

Audio Mixing Tips