You are here

Set up question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Set up question

Postby daerp1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:06 pm

I haven't needed to do this in a long time, as I normally work with samples and MIDI. But I have:

iMac running High Sierra
Digital Performer 9.52
Mackie 1202 VLZ PRO

The gear is working well. But I need to record some analog audio.

I want to record using a Studio Technica AT822 stereo microphone.
I'm connecting the mic via XLR cable to channel 1 and I can hear signal through my monitors, but I have no idea how to set up things in DP so that I can see an input device on an audio channel.

I have also tried connecting to the Mac using an iMic USB device and can see that in the Audio/Midi utility. But after that I'm stuck. I think my problem might be within DP, but I admit to being totally lost. I used to be able to record using the mic a long time ago (earlier operating system and version of DP).

Any advice?
Thank you
daerp1
New here

Re: Set up question

Postby Dave B » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:12 am

Do you also have an audio interface between the iMac and the Mackie?

If not, are you just using your ordinary audio outs on the iMac to get audio out to the mixer?

If the latter is the case, then you are going to need to find some way of getting audio into the mac. You could do this with some fiddling about between the mixer and the mac but it would be a compromise - I'd advise getting a small audio interface to sit in the middle.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:36 am

As above, you do need a :thumbup:

daerp1 wrote:I want to record using a Studio Technica AT822 stereo microphone.

The AT822 is a stereo mic, it needs two channels (though you can record mono using a single channel with it that is not ideal). Also, more importantly, it is unbalanced. Unlike most mics the XLR connector on the end carries two unbalanced signals and a common earth. If you plug this into a balanced XLR input socket not only will you get very weird audio (the difference signal between the capsules) but if you had phantom power switched on you may well damage either the mic or the mixer (Those Mackies ar pretty robust mind you). The supplied cables terminate in either a stereo minijack or two TS ¼" jacks.

Just a thought, if your Mac has a mic input the stereo minijack cable will work to get a signal into the DAW as long as you set the audio input in settings correctly.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby daerp1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Thank you. Its been so long I forgot about the supplied cable you mentioned. I use the XLR to mini adapter that I may have purchased separately. Can't recall.
daerp1
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:46 am

Why the XLR to mini adapter, according to the specs the mic has an XLR connector but wired for unbalanced stereo, is the XLR on the mic a miniXLR? Either way if you connect it to a mic input on the Mackie with a simple adapter it won't work as intended, you need to use an appropriate cable to split the two mic capsules.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........