You are here

JBL Speaker bargain..?!?!?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

JBL Speaker bargain..?!?!?

Postby The Bunk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Quick bit of background...I work at a Health Club where we have a decent-sized, two-floor gym which we're currently refurbing, which will include a new AV system. Today I happened to notice a pair of speakers on an office floor, seemingly ready to be disposed of...and I mean, probably about to be chucked in the bin. I picked one up to have a look at it...saw "JBL" and my eyes lit up...and our IT guy said "Do you want them...we've got nowhere else for them to go as we're getting a new system....". I said "I might, I'll let you know..."

They're a pair of JBL Control 25s.

I've Just done a quick Google and I'm seeing them going for up to £600 odd a pair new...
If I was going to nab them, they'd just be basically in my spare-bedroom home studio (which has an acceptable level of acoustic treatment) where I also have my main hi-fi. They're probably about 5-10 years old. I'm going to try and hook them up at home first and try them but from what I've seen/read I'm thinking; "bargain....!"; however, my conscience is now whispering in my ear and I'm thinking I really ought to 'fess up to work...to be honest I wouldn't buy them (or should I?...) as money's not great at the moment....
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Re: JBL Speaker bargain..?!?!?

Postby James Perrett » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:20 pm

A more realistic price would be between £25 and £50 quid each according to Ebay's completed listings. They're probably useful for parties but I'm not sure they'd be an improvement over what you have already.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby The Bunk » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks James...that at least makes me feel less guilty about pilfering them!
I used to have a pair of JBLs which I loved but they finally died; I just haven't got used to my new ones (Missions) so I've just got a hankering to go back to JBL. Anyway, I'll still set them up and see how they go..
Cheers!
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby The Bunk » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm

James Perrett wrote: They're probably useful for parties but I'm not sure they'd be an improvement over what you have already.

You're spot on. They're not. Not even close really...
The Bunk
Frequent Poster