You are here

Where does conversion happen?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Where does conversion happen?

Postby awjoe » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Where does A/D D/A conversion happen - in the interface, or in the CPU? And does it matter?

FWIW, I'm getting a new interface, and I think it's going to be a Presonus Studio 26.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Where does conversion happen?

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:33 pm

In the interface. It matters in the sense that it's not something a CPU could actually do...
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby awjoe » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:11 pm

Got it. Thanks.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:45 am

Yes, in the interface. The computer works only with digital bits not analogue signals, so the analogue world gets converted into a digital form in the interface for the computer to munch on, and then converted back when the computer spits out the answers.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby wireman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:10 pm

awjoe wrote:Where does A/D D/A conversion happen - in the interface, or in the CPU? And does it matter?

FWIW, I'm getting a new interface, and I think it's going to be a Presonus Studio 26.

The interface has connections for the audio signal and somewhere on the circuit board inside there will be an Integrated Circuit (IC) that converts between analogue signals and digital ones. Something like this. ICs like these have pins for the audio analogue data and digital data and convert between the two.

The interface can communicate the audio digitally to a computer using the USB connection, the CPU in a computer can only work on digital data (formed of bits that are 1 or 0) although these are represented by voltages those voltages are only interpreted as 1 or 0.
wireman
Regular

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:17 pm

awjoe wrote:Where does conversion happen.
17, Oil Drum Lane,
Ashby,
Scunthorpe.

Ask for Mrs Millie Toolie.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:10 pm

I don't think he was looking for the kind of conversion Millie Toollie (Mrs) is offering... :o :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Nowadays mostly in Africa I suppose
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby awjoe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:59 am

I decided to ask for two reasons, the first being that one of the specs for the Presonus interface is '32 GB of hard disk space' and it got me wondering what happens on the computer side of things when A's are getting converted to D's. Hugh and wireman made it clear - the computer can't deal with analogue.

Also, I wondered how long it would take for the first jokes to come in after my straight line. :)
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rich Hanson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:14 pm

The disk space requirements are simply for the bundled software (in this case likely to be Studio One Artist).
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby awjoe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 pm

There needs to be space for Studio One, yes, but surely the DAW doesn't need 32 Gb? I'd've thought more like 1 Gig for a DAW.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:16 am

Bound to be bundled sampler playback software with a reasonably sized playback library. You'll also need future space for recording your tracks.

I'd suggest that 32GB is a provision to ensure the software loads smoothly and runs well. If you've got less free space on your disk before loading, then you could be filling a lot of that up. And a lot of operating systems need a reasonable amount of space in order to move files around and for cacheing. If the amount of free space drops too far, then the computer can seriously slow down, making DAW use problematic.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby awjoe » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:11 am

Thanks, Wonks. If I hang around here long enough, I'll eventually learn everything. (About four lifetimes, I think.)
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Yup, Studio One Artist comes with a fair amount of sample data for the Presence XT instrument.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster