You are here

Enquiry about hooking up a pair PA Speakers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Enquiry about hooking up a pair PA Speakers

Postby jordanblair » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi, fairly simple question i'm sure for the large majority of you, however I would like to know how to correct hook up two PA Speakers, to be connected to a laptop.

Currently I use a 'Dual 1/4" TS to Minijack (3.5mm)' with,

one 1/4" jack into one input of the left speaker and the other 1/4" jack into one input of the right speaker. Whilst the 3.5mm into the laptop.

Now because i'm only using one input of each speaker does this mean that both speakers are hooked up incorrectly.

Should I be using the Dual 1/4" into both inputs of one speaker and link an xlr to the next?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Jordan
jordanblair

Re: Enquiry about hooking up a pair PA Speakers

Postby twotoedsloth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Hello,

If I'm reading this right, you are sending stereo L+R (3.5mm mini) out of your laptop. This means you will want to send one of your TS-Y cables to the powered speaker on the left, and one to the powered speaker on the right.

The link socket is if you're running multiple mono sends to the speaker. For example if you had two left speakers and two right speakers. And I'm pretty sure you won't like what you hear if you plug both TS plugs into the same speaker.

Hope that helps.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:43 pm

That's probably right. The stereo from the laptop needs to be split to two mono feeds which the lead you have does. One of those needs to go to each speaker as you have done.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby jordanblair » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:13 am

Thanks very much for your fast responses and both of your useful information. Great to have some reassurance that i'm doing the right thing with them. Cheers
jordanblair

Postby ef37a » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:24 am

Plus! You really need some form of analogue control twixt laptop and speakers.

I can only assume you are controlling the level via the software slider in the laptop sound menu? One day that will go ape**** and you will blast people with max level music or computer hash. You need a knob/fader to dive for.

Look around for a cheap mixer, almost anything will do and they start at about 25 quid.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-2-Chann ... udio+mixer

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Very sensible advice there from Dave - unexpected loud noises from digital gear can blow loudspeakers and cause ear damage if you're not careful.

Having a handy physical volume control is a must!

Martin
Martin Walker