You are here

Selling Redundant Equipment

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Selling Redundant Equipment

Postby Brian M Rose » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:25 am

OK, so the answer will probably be ' Obviously, On SOS For Sale."
At Radio Harrow, we have a large number of items that we no longer use. These range from illuminated Mic Live signs, distribution amps, amplifiers, microphones TBA's, MiniDisk Recorders, and a complete DJ Kit.
We are a registered charity, so I am keen that we make at least some money, rather than taking it to the dump.
We are working on a full list over the next couple of weeks. Any ideas how we could best efficiently dispose of this would be appreciated. Everything is in good condition. Think Sonifex, Denon, Behringer etc....
Thanks!
Brian Rose - Radio Harow
Brian M Rose
Regular

Re: Selling Redundant Equipment

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:41 am

For Broadcast-related stuff it's hard to beat BBList:

https://www.bblist.co.uk/
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Drop me a list. I'm constantly moving gear from where it's not needed to places that deserve a bit of help...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby forumuser840717 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:39 pm

Brian, It's really important that you make sure you check the constitution documents of your charity, particularly regarding the acceptable disposable of assets, and the resulting legal position before you sell anything. If your constitution doesn't contain specific information on this, and many don't, then there are certain default rules which come into play which can make it far more complicated than one might expect to sell anything owned by a charity.

I'm a Trustee at our local hospital radio station which we're closing down after 50 years and our initial idea of donating the assets to our local community radio station CIC (which directly grew out of hospital radio and does serve the hopsitals formerly covered by the HR stations), or selling off the assets of the charity and re-distributing the funds raised amongst other local charities, were stopped in their tracks by legal issues.

There are different types of charity and the rules vary a little from type to type but as a rule, unless you have a document specifically allowing you to sell the assets and/or distribute them to another charity or non-charity or individual, there's a very high probablity that it's illegal for you to do so. Even if you do have such a document, there may be other legal problems which over-rule this.

Assets of a charity are not generally freely distributable - even as donations to other charities (there are often limitations on the types of charities which may recieve the assets of a given charity) - and doing so can land the charity's Trustees in quite serious trouble. Also, the Trustees have a number of responsibilities with respect to the assets and they remain liable in various ways and for quite a long time for ensuring the charitable use of assets and for any mishandling of assets even if the charity is shut down so do be careful. Having been working through the process of closing a charity - even a financially very small one - I'm pretty sure that if people actually read the Charity Commission's documentation on the rules, responsibilities and guidance for Trustees when asked if they'd like to be a Trustee then it'd be a lot harder to get people to take on the role!

PM me if you need pointers to the legal documentation covering all this stuff but a few canny Google searches should turn up something useful. Which is more than can be said for the Charity Commission's so called help line or support team!
forumuser840717
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:16 am

Thanks for making the effort to make such an informed reply.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby IvanSC » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:49 am

I was born and raised in Harrow and in fact attended the celebrations when it became a London Borough many decades ago. Got to see Queen Elizabeth up close, but I lost or broke my souvenir mug :headbang:
If there is anything I can do to help on this one, give me a shout.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby Brian M Rose » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks so much for all the very helpful replies.
Our Finance Manager works in the Charity sector, so I am sure he will keep us legal. I have to admit that it does all sound rather complex. I'll keep everyone up to date.
I'm really sorry to that a Hospital Radio Station has to close after some 50 years. When three years ago, all the bedside entertainment at Northwick Park Hospital were removed, it looked as we would suffer the same fate; but we combined with the local Community Radio Station (hence all the redundant equipment),
As a slightly off-topic remark, for younger people, Hospital/Community Radio is a great experience and does look good on your CV.
Many thanks indeed!
Brian
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:25 am

There is still a hospital radio station at Trafford General (incidentally the first ever NHS hospital), a friend of mine has a show.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........