You are here

Yet another impedance question (groan!)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Yet another impedance question (groan!)

Postby garrettendi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:48 am

Hi guys

Just want to check I'm making the right call here.

I've recently discovered my cheap pair of over-the-ear headphones (came free with my e-drum kit) worn over my cochlear implant processor actually sounds a thousand times better than my implant's direct cable (don't ask me why, I discovered it by accident). I can use these headphones fine as far as I can tell with my iRig 2 and my Art HeadAmp 4 (been a while since I tried the HeadAmp though). But I don't know the impedance or other specs. I think it's a SoundLab headphones, but I can't be sure, it was a freebie as I said.

My Peavey Envoy 110 (red stripe) has a "16 ohm or greater" headphone output. Most SoundLab headphones look like they are 32 ohms but as I said, I have no way of checking this.

I assume it's probably safe to use these headphones on my Envoy 110 guitar amp?

Thanks guys and sorry for regressing back to my old confusion!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Re: Yet another impedance question (groan!)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Yep. I'd assume it would be fine too.

If the headphone amp doesn't like the impedance you'll notice it as obviously distorted transients and an clearly restricted bass response, and both will get worse as you turn up the level!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby garrettendi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks so much Hugh. I've been worried about it all day!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm really sorry Hugh, but just to set myself straight, if the headphones WERE the wrong impedance, would I be at a risk of danger?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:57 pm

You would be in no danger whatsoever.

Really worst possible case, the output drivers of the headphone amp might go phut if they become really unhappy and stay that way for a very long time... but I've never known that to happen, even with dead shorts on the headphone cable. And I've definitely never seen a headphone amp catch fire!

Really, this stuff is all pretty solid and generally designed to survive idiots doing really stoopid things... and you're not an eejitt and you don't do stoopid things. So R_E_L_A_X. :wave:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby garrettendi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Thanks so much Hugh!

I appreciate your saying I'm not an "eejit" too. Sometimes it feels like my worrying makes me the crown prince of eejits!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:00 pm

The eejit isn't the one who asks for advice, it's the one who gets good advice and ignores it... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby garrettendi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:01 pm

blinddrew wrote:The eejit isn't the one who asks for advice, it's the one who gets good advice and ignores it... ;)

That’s excellent advice so I will be sure to ignore it!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Ha! Genuine lol. :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:33 am

IMHO there is no excuse these days for equipment not to be made virtually bombproof and, since it was mentioned! Eijiot proof. But there are a couple of areas where limits have to be imposed and due care taken.

Valve amplifier output stages must never be run without a load and that load should be within 50% or so of the nominal "tap". Even then the risk of damage is dependant on the level of drive, a 1 watt amp will probably survive a 100% "mismatch"* forever but a 50watter 50% so long as you don't drive it into clipping and for too long. The design quality is also a factor. Some brands/marks were apparently very feeble!

Similarly, IF a Solid State amp mnfctr has NOT provided access to the speaker terminals that is because the design lacks comprehensive protection. You COULD go in there and hook up a different speaker and it would probably be fine but don't the next round of drinks on it and an accidental short, however brief would almost certainly be Goodnight Vienna. Valve amps are pretty much short circuit proof. (but don't be silly!)

Small signal electronics should, IMHO again, be virtually indestructible from misconnections. The only caveat is phantom power. Not the coruscating, evil force some folks paint it but keep it out of things that you know were never intended to have it.

*Nothing in analogue audio is "matched" no, not even speakers to amps except in "words".

Waffle over.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster