You are here

Interface causing distortion when tracks are armed to record

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Interface causing distortion when tracks are armed to record

Postby Velocity » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:14 am

Hey,

I've never posted here before and I hope that this is the right place for my question.

So, a few years ago I bought an M-Audio condenser mic and an M-Audio Fast Track interface.

They used to work FINE on my old laptop. I think it ran like, Windows 7 or something.

But anyway, I thought I'd get back into music again, so I pulled out my equipment, and tried it with my current laptop with Windows 10.

When I plugged in the interface, it automatically downloaded a driver for itself. And then it worked fine with my headphones. As in, the audio output for my computer came out FINE through the interface headphones.

But when I go to record music in Adobe Audition, or Audacity, it stuffs up. When I PLAY the background track in Audacity it sounds FINE. But when I RECORD on a new track, the background track makes this HORRIBLE peaking distortion sound and the track sounds lower in pitch like it's out of a horror movie. Also, when I put my background track in Adobe Audition, the track does that exact same distortion thing when I even PLAY the track, let alone try RECORD another track.

Can anyone help me get rid of this horrible distortion sound?

Cheers.
Velocity

Re: Interface causing distortion when tracks are armed to record

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:51 am

Which "Fast Track" model have you got? Then, AFAIK, the only way the pitch can be wrong is if the record and replay sampling rates don't match.

W10 is a bit of a swine for audio it seems (having a bit of bother myself in another area!) but you can try the usual culprits for an external interface?

Make sure Windows Sounds are stopped, those delightful bleeps and bongs. I would go to the M-A site and download the ACTUAL W10 driver for that AI afresh. Next, in Control Panel disable the On Board Soundcard ("realteck" or "High deff sound" or some such junk) then install the new drivers.

Lastly, make sure your recording levels are at around -18dBfs. Audacity actually has an 18dB point on its scale but even if you were crowding 0dBfs it shouldn't distort and the replay level would be noticeably high.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Interface causing distortion when tracks are armed to record

Postby Wonks » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:57 am

I'd guess that windows has loaded a generic audio driver and not the correct manufacturer provided ASIO one. Fine for windows sounds but useless for any proper recording. This will probably be trying to do bit depth and recording frequency adjustment on the fly (and failing).

As ef37a says, find the latest Monitor Audio ASIO driver for your interface from their web site, load it and then select that in your DAW as the input/output devise and away you go.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.