You are here

Studiospares SN10 - anyone?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Studiospares SN10 - anyone?

Postby Stevedog » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:30 pm

Of all the *budget monitors* the closest to the ATC family of sound are the Blue Sky Media Desks... They have that lovely slight *plumpness* that makes the mids *bounce*. The treble is a tad *one note*, but of all the modern budget monitors, the Blue Skies are the only ones I have heard that have that *Old Codger* voicing to them.
Stevedog
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:01 pm

Well, I'm not sure what listening to the ATC's will achieve, as I definitely can't afford them, but it will be interesting to see what they sound like in my room.

Tony.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Jim Y » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:59 pm

I'm only an interested amateur, but I would have though something like these SN10's are intended as a "grotbox" mixing tool. So, don't you need something else to get a big, detailed & inspiring sound for tracking anyway?

I've heard enough about the Blue Sky systems to put them at the top of my list when I get around to replacing my Event TR8's. I don't really have space for 2 sets of nearfields, so an affordable set that can do both tracking & mixing is perhaps the only sensible course for me at least.

Jim
Jim Y
Regular

Postby forumuser695516 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:17 pm

By & large, you get what you pay for.. These things are £100 a pair.. No? What would you really expect for that money?

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:05 pm

~Paul wrote:By & large, you get what you pay for.. These things are £100 a pair.. No? What would you really expect for that money?

Paul

I've learnt enough over the years through bitter experience that price and performance don't alway go hand in hand, by any means, and that applies to every area of recording equipment. I went against the grain when buying these, as I always buy either secondhand, or from friends, and always have a chance to check the equipment out before I buy it. I admit,this was a big mistake this time. I also get given things, and it spoils you a bit, even having to pay what some people regard as cheap prices for new stuff.
Still, my friend who has the ATC's has come to the rescue, and he's lending me a pair of Spendor SP1's that he isn't using, if I like them I'll buy them, but at least I'll have a chance to try them for while.

Tony.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Evie McCreevie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:51 am

Evie McCreevie wrote:Personally, I think they're cack. Fine maybe if you're a hobbyist, and not particularly ambitious. But anyone even half-serious about their monitoring would end up upgrading within a few months...

arpangel wrote:... I admit,this was a big mistake this time...
Tony.

You can't say you weren't warned!
:lol:
Evie McCreevie
Regular

Postby forumuser695516 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:24 am

Well, either way, they are cheap speakers.. For £100, and given that they are not actually faulty in any way, then surely they are not even worth sending back? Must be easy enough to find some other use for them..

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby ElwoodBlues » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:17 am

L.H.,

I'd like to begin this post by saying to you that I am not going to spew any rhetoric or conjecture by stating what I think is crap or not.
I will start off by saying this though; since you are on a tight budget & you want optimal results(within reason),I would strongly recommend that you consider powered monitors-particularly BI-AMPLIFIED ones.
Here's why;

active,bi-amplified monitors offer the cleanest,most efficient sound,primarily because the signal path between amp-to-speaker is the shortest path in an active monitor.
Of course also,the amp within the monitor has to be clean,but if you do the research & shop around,you'll be amazed at how well you can do-for under $500 and in some cases-well under the $500 range!
Currently,since you already have an existing amp-buying seperate speakers is the absolute cheapest way to go,but bear in mind,that in order for you to match the sound quality & performance of an active monitor set up,overall,you'll end up spending quite a bit more on a seperate amp & speaker set up,because you'll have to upgrade the amp,the speaker wires and upgrade to speakers that have passive crossovers in them.

I don't know how many years you've been recording,but it does not seem to me that you've had any experience with active monitors(or you've been mis-informed about them)?

In any event,I think you should re-evaluate your efforts,because quite honestly,I am puzzled by your method of reducing boominess in your room :?
Reason being,is that is does not appear that you have any acoustical treatment and I'm guessing your floor is not carpeted?
I know how expensive acoustical room treatments can get,but
you can drastically reduce the boominess problem by just choosing a front ported and well designed monitor.

Since you have a near-field configuration and apparently a limited space to work in,the best possible recommendation I can think of for your particular situation in every aspect,would be for you to invest in a pair of Event ALP5's and there is a wonderful article on these beauties right here on this website;
http://www.soundonsound.com/SOS/jan07/articles/alp5.htm

These next two links should be very helpful to you as well;

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/monitoring/

http://www.tweakheadz.com/studio_monitors.htm

If you consider selling your existing monitor gear & returning your speakers & saving a bit more of your money as well,I am certain that once you've experienced the right set of active monitors,you'll never go back! ;)

Whether your a hobbyist or not,judging by the sight of your mixing console-I'd say your pretty serious about your craft,so I'm just offering my personal experiences to give you some food for thought.

Good luck,

Elwood 8-)
ElwoodBlues
New here

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:26 am

"Well, either way, they are cheap speakers.. For £100, and given that they are not actually faulty in any way, then surely they are not even worth sending back? Must be easy enough to find some other use for them..

Paul"

ElwoodBlues wrote:L.H.,

I'd like to begin this post by saying to you that I am not going to spew any rhetoric or conjecture by stating what I think is crap or not.
I will start off by saying this though; since you are on a tight budget & you want optimal results(within reason),I would strongly recommend that you consider powered monitors-particularly BI-AMPLIFIED ones.
Here's why;

active,bi-amplified monitors offer the cleanest,most efficient sound,primarily because the signal path between amp-to-speaker is the shortest path in an active monitor.
Of course also,the amp within the monitor has to be clean,but if you do the research & shop around,you'll be amazed at how well you can do-for under 00 and in some cases-well under the 00 range!
Currently,since you already have an existing amp-buying seperate speakers is the absolute cheapest way to go,but bear in mind,that in order for you to match the sound quality & performance of an active monitor set up,overall,you'll end up spending quite a bit more on a seperate amp & speaker set up,because you'll have to upgrade the amp,the speaker wires and upgrade to speakers that have passive crossovers in them.

I don't know how many years you've been recording,but it does not seem to me that you've had any experience with active monitors(or you've been mis-informed about them)?

In any event,I think you should re-evaluate your efforts,because quite honestly,I am puzzled by your method of reducing boominess in your room :?
Reason being,is that is does not appear that you have any acoustical treatment and I'm guessing your floor is not carpeted?
I know how expensive acoustical room treatments can get,but
you can drastically reduce the boominess problem by just choosing a front ported and well designed monitor.

Since you have a near-field configuration and apparently a limited space to work in,the best possible recommendation I can think of for your particular situation in every aspect,would be for you to invest in a pair of Event ALP5's and there is a wonderful article on these beauties right here on this website;
http://www.soundonsound.com/SOS/jan07/articles/alp5.htm

These next two links should be very helpful to you as well;

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/monitoring/

http://www.tweakheadz.com/studio_monitors.htm

If you consider selling your existing monitor gear & returning your speakers & saving a bit more of your money as well,I am certain that once you've experienced the right set of active monitors,you'll never go back! ;)

Whether your a hobbyist or not,judging by the sight of your mixing console-I'd say your pretty serious about your craft,so I'm just offering my personal experiences to give you some food for thought.

Good luck,

Elwood 8-)

Paul, I asked if I could bring them back, it was one of my stipulations before buying them, I have a 7 day return option. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought them at all. I can't use them anywhere else, so a return is the only option, I live quite near, 10 min's in the car, so it's no problem, otherwise it may be a different matter.
I am aware of the benefits of active speakers, and I have considered them, and they still may be an option. I'm not a professional, I'm an amateur on a very very tight budget, and rely on hand-me-downs most of the time, my whole studio is probably worth £300 tops !
As I said, my friend is lending me the Spendor SP1's I'll give them a go, if it involves spending no money at all, even in the short term, then I'm more than happy !
My studio is a bedroom by the way, I cant be bothered to treat it, I have another room in the house that I use for recording, that has a great sound, but this ended up as the control room, and thats how its going to stay I'm afraid. If i was earning money form my music I'd take it all a bit more seriously, but right now it's not worth it.

Tony.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Vol 3 episode 10 :)

My friend brought the Spendor's round this morning....

They have bass (understatement) but aren't boomy in my room, and they are a sealed box design.
They sound just right, and very inspiring to use, plus I can hear my effects at last. These are probably the best speaker I've had in here up until now ! There could be news of a local murder should my friend ask for them back :frown:

Tony.

Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby LimitedHeadroom » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:08 pm

Well, thanks for all the info arpangel. I think, given your experience I am going to wait a little while, get some more money together and get the triple-P pyramids. I'm sure the patience will pay off in the long run. I was interested in these as I wanted a pair that had the revealing mid range and transient response characteristics of the NS10's to help with checking things on my mixes, as they would be a second pair of monitors. And I guess I was hoping that they would manage this being as they have retained the closed box design of the NS10.
LimitedHeadroom
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:15 pm

LimitedHeadroom wrote:Well, thanks for all the info arpangel. I think, given your experience I am going to wait a little while, get some more money together and get the triple-P pyramids. I'm sure the patience will pay off in the long run. I was interested in these as I wanted a pair that had the revealing mid range and transient response characteristics of the NS10's to help with checking things on my mixes, as they would be a second pair of monitors. And I guess I was hoping that they would manage this being as they have retained the closed box design of the NS10.

Things have turned out rather well, as i have the Spendors on long-term loan more or less, it's the only way, you have to audition them in your room with your own equipment. I can't afford anything remotely decent new, so these are going to be it, for a while at least.

Tony.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby JumpingTiger » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Right no one buys SN10's for them to sound good... the idea is that it's hard to make something sound good and that fact makes people really focus on the meat of the track.
Also no on uses just them... their there as one of the A/B options.
What anyone searching this topic would like to know is if these do a good job of being bad enough for mix's to translate well.
Or is there some pitiful's in the sound that makes it not so good for translation.

Detailed speakers are necessary also, you shouldn't clearly just buy these.
as for inspirational?? That would be really used during the "ideas" stage of making a track not a engineering monitor.

So what are these speakers like in comparison to the SN10's???
Or maybe as real SN10's all sound differently, what about in comparison to a pair of the new CLA 10/10a's?

These are not being brought as a main monitor mostly, so the fact you can get a set with a amp for as little as £150 it can leave a little more money for the main monitors.

Thank you!!
JumpingTiger

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:31 am

JumpingTiger wrote:Right no one buys SN10's for them to sound good... the idea is that it's hard to make something sound good and that fact makes people really focus on the meat of the track.
Also no on uses just them... their there as one of the A/B options.
What anyone searching this topic would like to know is if these do a good job of being bad enough for mix's to translate well.
Or is there some pitiful's in the sound that makes it not so good for translation.

Detailed speakers are necessary also, you shouldn't clearly just buy these.
as for inspirational?? That would be really used during the "ideas" stage of making a track not a engineering monitor.

So what are these speakers like in comparison to the SN10's???
Or maybe as real SN10's all sound differently, what about in comparison to a pair of the new CLA 10/10a's?

These are not being brought as a main monitor mostly, so the fact you can get a set with a amp for as little as £150 it can leave a little more money for the main monitors.

Thank you!!

My My, reading my old contributions to SOS is like reading someone else's posts, I know I was depressed, but... :?

OK, original NS10's are very useful, I like them for their clarity and tight bass. One of the reasons so many records have been made with them and so many producers like them is that they are a real world reference.
Studio Spares SN10's are nothing like the original, they are not a good monitor IMO, and that's an understatement. They have little clarity, you can't hear effects properly, like reverb tails, I would advise that you steer clear of these and get something like the Yamaha HS series, they are very upfront, lots of detail, very dynamic, if these are secondary monitors you could do a lot worse than a pair of the cheaper Behringer monitors, but not these SN10's, I'd say you'll definitely regret buying them.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Previous