You are here

Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:56 am

No worries Kayton!

I was perhaps being rather pedantic. The problem is people get confused about "matching" and this audio game is technical enough and there is a lot of misinformation and outright advertising "puff" out there confusing folks.

Whatever gets you the sound you want is right.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:05 pm

Kayvon wrote:I need to re-read what exactly my Little Labs Redeye is doing impedance-wise when I put it in between my soundcard and these various guitar inputs.

I've just had a look at the website and downloadable 'manual', and it doesn't say anything other than that the reamp output is suitable for a high-impedance guitar amp input... but then almost conventional electronic source would be!

It does mention that its transformers were chosen for the sonic quality, and I presume that applies equally to both the DI and reamp sides.

Suffice for me to say I find it beneficial to have the reamp box connected versus just attenuating levels using my mixer. I can then make finer gain adjustments to dial in exactly what level of distortion I want.

Yes, there are several practical advantages from using a proper Reamp box for this application. They convert the balanced line-level source into an unbalanced instrument level one, while also providing ground isolation (to avoid nasty ground-loop noises) and, in the case of the red eye (and some others), selectable polarity-inversion too.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:32 pm

I will have time tonight to try the Doepfer attenuator.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Update: So I was able to try my Doepfer modules in their attenuator setting. Works a treat! Best part is because they also act as mixers and mults, I was able to take the audio from a single module and run both the dry and effected signals simultaneously. Perfect!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Previous