You are here

Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Page 1 of 2

Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:30 am
by Ben Asaro
Pretty much what it says on the tin -- I am wondering if there is a small form-factor re-amp box commercially available. I currently have two Radial ProRMP passive re-amp boxes, which I LOVE -- but, they are not what I would call lightweight.

I need two of these boxes for use with my modular synth for rehearsals and gigging, so weight is a big factor. The issue I am having is that the signal coming out of my modular is too hot for outboard guitar pedals.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:12 am
by Humble Bee

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:24 am
by forumuser913637
I haven't done an exhaustive search for lightweight reamp boxes or anything, but if you have a soldering iron, this kit is pretty small/light:

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/products/l2a

weigh: 6.9 ounces
length: 10.5 cm / 4"
width: 7 cm / 2.5"
Height: 4.5 cm / 1.5"

Ultra simple build if you care to do a little soldering.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am
by ef37a
Yes, the Orchid kit is excellent but if you are handy with a solder iron, a couple of these..

https://www.rapidonline.com/Vigortronix ... usQAvD_BwE

And a 10k pot and you are done. In fact that transformer is a bit TOO good! Google more and you could get cheaper.

Dave.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 am
by Mixedup
There are quite a few to choose from, but I found DAV's DI/Reamp box to be decent and sturdy, yet lightweight.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:52 am
by Sam Spoons
ef37a wrote:Yes, the Orchid kit is excellent but if you are handy with a solder iron, a couple of these..

https://www.rapidonline.com/Vigortronix ... usQAvD_BwE

And a 10k pot and you are done. In fact that transformer is a bit TOO good! Google more and you could get cheaper.

Dave.

I built 8 of those into a box in 1976 to make a stagebox/multicore for an HH Stereo 12 mixer. No idea why but I guess the mics we had borrowed were unbalanced and, being borrowed we couldn't mod them. We were about to do a production of "Hair" (The NW amateur premier).

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:19 am
by Kayvon
Assuming you can spare some space in your modular aren't there a few options in Eurorack?

I can't remember them all but a quick google showed up this Strymon module https://www.strymon.net/products/aa1/ and I think there's a mixer module thats aux sends work with pedals iirc.

That is of course assuming you can spare some space and you're using eurorack...

If not, perhaps look at some inline cable converters if you're really looking at saving space? I've looked into it before and they use miniature transformers, think Shure do some. Could be wrong but worth checking out.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 am
by ef37a
Kayvon wrote:Assuming you can spare some space in your modular aren't there a few options in Eurorack?

I can't remember them all but a quick google showed up this Strymon module https://www.strymon.net/products/aa1/ and I think there's a mixer module thats aux sends work with pedals iirc.

That is of course assuming you can spare some space and you're using eurorack...

If not, perhaps look at some inline cable converters if you're really looking at saving space? I've looked into it before and they use miniature transformers, think Shure do some. Could be wrong but worth checking out.

You can indeed find some very small, very cheap transformers but I don't know the levels involved? Unlike guitars, synths go down pretty low and so OP might need something a bit "hi fi"?

Dave.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:16 pm
by jaminem
I have a Palmer Daccapo - its pretty dinky and light

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm
by Wonks
As Ben is in New York, he'd probably prefer units that can be sourced easily in the US.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:27 pm
by Ben Asaro
Wow, thanks for all of the great replies! I will parse through them this evening.
I am in NYC, but I am not opposed to ordering overseas if it's the right thing for the job!

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:01 pm
by Ben Asaro
Kayvon wrote:Assuming you can spare some space in your modular aren't there a few options in Eurorack?

I can't remember them all but a quick google showed up this Strymon module https://www.strymon.net/products/aa1/ and I think there's a mixer module thats aux sends work with pedals iirc.

That is of course assuming you can spare some space and you're using eurorack...

If not, perhaps look at some inline cable converters if you're really looking at saving space? I've looked into it before and they use miniature transformers, think Shure do some. Could be wrong but worth checking out.
Forgot all about the AA.1!

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:28 pm
by noblesavages
https://reverb.com/item/70186-saturnworks-reamp-pedal

This is a very light & sturdy box. Surprisingly affordable too. Same form factor as a regular guitar pedal. They're handmade in Davis, CA (near Sacramento). Totally passive too, so no need to bring a power supply.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:26 am
by Ben Asaro
noblesavages wrote:https://reverb.com/item/70186-saturnworks-reamp-pedal

This is a very light & sturdy box. Surprisingly affordable too. Same form factor as a regular guitar pedal. They're handmade in Davis, CA (near Sacramento). Totally passive too, so no need to bring a power supply.
That looks great, thanks!

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 pm
by Ben Asaro
So, I totally forgot that my Doepfer Amplifier will also act as an attenuator! Going to try that. If it works, I can get a couple more for a fraction of the cost of these other solutions, and they take up only 4HP each.

Stay tuned!

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:37 pm
by Kayvon
In my amateur home studio experiments the impedance matching does make a real difference and makes things a lot easier to dial in.

In my case I was re-amping in order to overdrive inputs and I found I could make finer adjustments around the sweet spot of different bits of gear. I'd recommend ponying up for the impedance matching gear to at least see :thumbup:

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:02 pm
by DC-Choppah

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:27 pm
by Ben Asaro
Thanks for the additional comments!

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:38 pm
by ef37a
Kayvon wrote:In my amateur home studio experiments the impedance matching does make a real difference and makes things a lot easier to dial in.

In my case I was re-amping in order to overdrive inputs and I found I could make finer adjustments around the sweet spot of different bits of gear. I'd recommend ponying up for the impedance matching gear to at least see :thumbup:

What are the impedances you are "matching" and what exactly do you mean by "match"?

Any chance of comparative clips at the various "Zeds"?

Dave.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:49 am
by Kayvon
ef37a wrote:
Kayvon wrote:In my amateur home studio experiments the impedance matching does make a real difference and makes things a lot easier to dial in.

In my case I was re-amping in order to overdrive inputs and I found I could make finer adjustments around the sweet spot of different bits of gear. I'd recommend ponying up for the impedance matching gear to at least see :thumbup:

What are the impedances you are "matching" and what exactly do you mean by "match"?

Any chance of comparative clips at the various "Zeds"?

Dave.

Would it surprise you to hear that one of my favoured adages is "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" ?

Mrs Clinton's office has got back to me and it seems I did not 'mis-speak' but was in fact just talking booboo.

I need to re-read what exactly my Little Labs Redeye is doing impedance-wise when I put it in between my soundcard and these various guitar inputs.

Suffice for me to say I find it beneficial to have the reamp box connected versus just attenuating levels using my mixer. I can then make finer gain adjustments to dial in exactly what level of distortion I want.

How that exactly relates to impedance I don't understand I'll refrain from gabbling in the future apologies all.