You are here

Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:30 am

Pretty much what it says on the tin -- I am wondering if there is a small form-factor re-amp box commercially available. I currently have two Radial ProRMP passive re-amp boxes, which I LOVE -- but, they are not what I would call lightweight.

I need two of these boxes for use with my modular synth for rehearsals and gigging, so weight is a big factor. The issue I am having is that the signal coming out of my modular is too hot for outboard guitar pedals.
Ben Asaro
Regular
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:12 am

User avatar
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Switzerland/Germany/Sweden

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby forumuser913637 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:24 am

I haven't done an exhaustive search for lightweight reamp boxes or anything, but if you have a soldering iron, this kit is pretty small/light:

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/products/l2a

weigh: 6.9 ounces
length: 10.5 cm / 4"
width: 7 cm / 2.5"
Height: 4.5 cm / 1.5"

Ultra simple build if you care to do a little soldering.
forumuser913637
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:03 am

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am

Yes, the Orchid kit is excellent but if you are handy with a solder iron, a couple of these..

https://www.rapidonline.com/Vigortronix ... usQAvD_BwE

And a 10k pot and you are done. In fact that transformer is a bit TOO good! Google more and you could get cheaper.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Mixedup » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 am

There are quite a few to choose from, but I found DAV's DI/Reamp box to be decent and sturdy, yet lightweight.
User avatar
Mixedup
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4202
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Laputa

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:52 am

ef37a wrote:Yes, the Orchid kit is excellent but if you are handy with a solder iron, a couple of these..

https://www.rapidonline.com/Vigortronix ... usQAvD_BwE

And a 10k pot and you are done. In fact that transformer is a bit TOO good! Google more and you could get cheaper.

Dave.

I built 8 of those into a box in 1976 to make a stagebox/multicore for an HH Stereo 12 mixer. No idea why but I guess the mics we had borrowed were unbalanced and, being borrowed we couldn't mod them. We were about to do a production of "Hair" (The NW amateur premier).
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7100
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Kayvon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:19 am

Assuming you can spare some space in your modular aren't there a few options in Eurorack?

I can't remember them all but a quick google showed up this Strymon module https://www.strymon.net/products/aa1/ and I think there's a mixer module thats aux sends work with pedals iirc.

That is of course assuming you can spare some space and you're using eurorack...

If not, perhaps look at some inline cable converters if you're really looking at saving space? I've looked into it before and they use miniature transformers, think Shure do some. Could be wrong but worth checking out.
Kayvon
Regular
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Lewisham

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 am

Kayvon wrote:Assuming you can spare some space in your modular aren't there a few options in Eurorack?

I can't remember them all but a quick google showed up this Strymon module https://www.strymon.net/products/aa1/ and I think there's a mixer module thats aux sends work with pedals iirc.

That is of course assuming you can spare some space and you're using eurorack...

If not, perhaps look at some inline cable converters if you're really looking at saving space? I've looked into it before and they use miniature transformers, think Shure do some. Could be wrong but worth checking out.

You can indeed find some very small, very cheap transformers but I don't know the levels involved? Unlike guitars, synths go down pretty low and so OP might need something a bit "hi fi"?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby jaminem » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:16 pm

I have a Palmer Daccapo - its pretty dinky and light
jaminem
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 1:00 am

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm

As Ben is in New York, he'd probably prefer units that can be sourced easily in the US.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6106
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Wow, thanks for all of the great replies! I will parse through them this evening.
I am in NYC, but I am not opposed to ordering overseas if it's the right thing for the job!
Ben Asaro
Regular
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Kayvon wrote:Assuming you can spare some space in your modular aren't there a few options in Eurorack?

I can't remember them all but a quick google showed up this Strymon module https://www.strymon.net/products/aa1/ and I think there's a mixer module thats aux sends work with pedals iirc.

That is of course assuming you can spare some space and you're using eurorack...

If not, perhaps look at some inline cable converters if you're really looking at saving space? I've looked into it before and they use miniature transformers, think Shure do some. Could be wrong but worth checking out.
Forgot all about the AA.1!
Ben Asaro
Regular
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby noblesavages » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:28 pm

https://reverb.com/item/70186-saturnworks-reamp-pedal

This is a very light & sturdy box. Surprisingly affordable too. Same form factor as a regular guitar pedal. They're handmade in Davis, CA (near Sacramento). Totally passive too, so no need to bring a power supply.
noblesavages
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:26 am

noblesavages wrote:https://reverb.com/item/70186-saturnworks-reamp-pedal

This is a very light & sturdy box. Surprisingly affordable too. Same form factor as a regular guitar pedal. They're handmade in Davis, CA (near Sacramento). Totally passive too, so no need to bring a power supply.
That looks great, thanks!
Ben Asaro
Regular
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 pm

So, I totally forgot that my Doepfer Amplifier will also act as an attenuator! Going to try that. If it works, I can get a couple more for a fraction of the cost of these other solutions, and they take up only 4HP each.

Stay tuned!
Ben Asaro
Regular
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Kayvon » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:37 pm

In my amateur home studio experiments the impedance matching does make a real difference and makes things a lot easier to dial in.

In my case I was re-amping in order to overdrive inputs and I found I could make finer adjustments around the sweet spot of different bits of gear. I'd recommend ponying up for the impedance matching gear to at least see :thumbup:
Kayvon
Regular
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Lewisham

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:02 pm

User avatar
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1005
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am
Location: MD, USA

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Thanks for the additional comments!
Ben Asaro
Regular
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby ef37a » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Kayvon wrote:In my amateur home studio experiments the impedance matching does make a real difference and makes things a lot easier to dial in.

In my case I was re-amping in order to overdrive inputs and I found I could make finer adjustments around the sweet spot of different bits of gear. I'd recommend ponying up for the impedance matching gear to at least see :thumbup:

What are the impedances you are "matching" and what exactly do you mean by "match"?

Any chance of comparative clips at the various "Zeds"?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Kayvon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:49 am

ef37a wrote:
Kayvon wrote:In my amateur home studio experiments the impedance matching does make a real difference and makes things a lot easier to dial in.

In my case I was re-amping in order to overdrive inputs and I found I could make finer adjustments around the sweet spot of different bits of gear. I'd recommend ponying up for the impedance matching gear to at least see :thumbup:

What are the impedances you are "matching" and what exactly do you mean by "match"?

Any chance of comparative clips at the various "Zeds"?

Dave.

Would it surprise you to hear that one of my favoured adages is "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" ?

Mrs Clinton's office has got back to me and it seems I did not 'mis-speak' but was in fact just talking booboo.

I need to re-read what exactly my Little Labs Redeye is doing impedance-wise when I put it in between my soundcard and these various guitar inputs.

Suffice for me to say I find it beneficial to have the reamp box connected versus just attenuating levels using my mixer. I can then make finer gain adjustments to dial in exactly what level of distortion I want.

How that exactly relates to impedance I don't understand I'll refrain from gabbling in the future apologies all.
Kayvon
Regular
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Lewisham

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users