You are here

Hybrid mixing newbie

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Hybrid mixing newbie

Postby alcathy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:31 pm

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and have a hybrid mixing question. I'm currently using Cubase Pro 9.5(Windows 10) and my interface is Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen. I acquired a "live" analog mixer for a great price (Allen & Heath ML3000 48 channel) and have successfully used it for summing and I'm very happy with the results. I wanted more than 8 inputs/outputs and came across a used Motu 8 Pre for a good price. I've connected the Motu's output via ADAT to the Focusrite's ADAT input with Toslink cable. I now have 16 Inputs...but the Motu only has ADAT output , MIDI output and L/R output.
I connected the Focusrite's 8 outputs to a patchbay and can then plug that into the Allen & Heath for analog mixing but I'm trying to use the Motu to add additional outputs to the mixer and cannot figure out if I can do this....and if so how to go about it.
I would appreciate any input on how this can be achieved or confirmation of only being able to use the inputs. The mixer does not have a digital I/O...only analog and MIDI I/O.
Thanks!!
Cathy
alcathy

Re: Hybrid mixing newbie

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:47 pm

You'll need a different unit to add extra outputs. Probably the cheapest way if you want to buy new would be to buy a Behringer ADA8200 which will give you 8 extra outputs as well as 8 extra inputs. If you don't mind buying something used you might find an old ADAT machine with failed mechanics going cheap - this could be used as an 8 channel digital to analogue convertor.

Of course there are better quality alternatives - the Ferrofish A16 is often recommended but I'd guess you could only use 8 channels with your existing interface. You may also find an old Firewire interface that can be used as a D/A convertor in stand-alone mode (like some of the old Focusrite Saffire interfaces).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby alcathy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks! I appreciate your response. Do you know the "norm" for analog summing? Just trying to figure out if I actually need 16 outputs or if just bussing tracks to 8 and then printing one stereo track is fine.
alcathy

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:54 pm

There isn't really a norm - it totally depends on how you want to work. If you are limited on channels you could possibly send the tracks that you want specially treated to their own channels and then just send the rest to a stereo pair.

However, I'm probably not the best person to ask as, despite having all the kit needed for analogue summing, around here once a project is on the computer it stays on the computer. I much prefer the fine control you get with computer processing and I'm not convinced that there are any sonic advantages to analogue summing. I'll only mix in analogue if I'm using tape and want an all analogue signal path.
James Perrett

Postby ef37a » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:48 am

There is this..https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -model-141

Not been through the SoS review mill AFAICT but Aphex have a good name and it ain't cheap! The 25way Dsub would make it a tidy link to the patch bay.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:41 pm

If you are in the UK it may be worth looking at this thread...

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 28&t=63493
James Perrett