You are here

SE Dynamite in-line pre-amp

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

SE Dynamite in-line pre-amp

Postby Wonks » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:48 am

Having just seen the sE Dynamite preamp on the SOS news page: https://www.soundonsound.com/news/se-la ... -aes-video
I wonder how many calls to the police the sight of one by an unaware member of the public this will cause.

It might have been a neat idea years ago, but in today's climate, I really think it's going to blow up in their faces. The tube it comes in is larger and of the same design.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Re: SE Dynamite in-line pre-amp

Postby ef37a » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:56 am

Ooooo? I don't know Wonks, there has always been some guitar amps and pedals with very aggressive/suggestive/silly names? Mind you that booster DOES look very like what it says on the tin.
Then, people do get exercised about things without thinking? I remember a bit of a barney in the press some years ago because some people were aghast that is was legal to send bullets through the postal system? "Dangerous..didn't orta be allowed. What if a kid got hold of them?"!! Well, if a kid ATE one it might be a problem but an FMJ would probably "pass" without harm and even lead alloy probably wouldn't stay in the system long enough to matter.

Of course, people read "bullets" and thought "cartridges".

Anyhoos, that preamp looks tasty. Be £100 here I suppose? I might try one for my wildlife mics (got a chocolate addicted mouse atmo)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Wonks wrote:It might have been a neat idea years ago, but in today's climate, I really think it's going to blow up in their faces.

:), though of course sE have form when it comes to ill-conceived marketing campaigns.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:25 pm

I wonder if it proves exceptional "bang for your bucks"?

Coat being donned as I type.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Brian M Rose » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Well, I do remember causing a bit of a flurry when I was doing some recordings at the House of commons. My bag of XLR adapters evidently looked suspiciously like large calibre bullets when they went through the XRay machine. But everyone was very friendly and helpful.
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:18 pm

The only place I can imagine this being a problem is in the USA. The same place where hot coffee cups have warnings on them about the contents being hot due to a lawsuit.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:03 pm

It's the stupidity of the officials that is more of a worry, especially in the States where they all carry real guns with real bullets.........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........