You are here

Tascam DR100 - with or without external microphone?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Tascam DR100 - with or without external microphone?

Postby Still Vibrations » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:02 pm

I have to record some city sounds (in this case Birmingham) and usually I use just the mics on the Tascam DR100. As I also have an Audio-Technica ATM10a, I was wondering if it would be better to use that mic instead? (I have a windshield for the Tascam but not the Audio-Technica).
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Re: Tascam DR100 - with or without external microphone?

Postby blinddrew » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:04 pm

My (very limited) experience of trying to record outside suggests that an average mic with a windshield will give you a waaaay more useable result than a good mic without one.
I'm sure more smarter heads will be along to contradict shortly though if that's not the case.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:06 pm

^ Nail hit squarely on the head!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Still Vibrations » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 pm

Thank you both for your replies.
What I should have added of course is that I am prepared to buy a windshield for the Audio Technica if the difference would be significant - as opposed to the Tascam's built in mics.
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:39 pm

The ATM10a is, I think, a single omni electret mic.

As an omni, it will be less prone to handling noise and some (gentle) wind noise than the directional mics in the Tascam, and it may go down a little lower than the TAscam's built in mics... but I still wouldn't want to use it out of doors without a windshield, and a decently effective windshield is not a cheap thing.

Plus, using the ATM means you'll have a mono sound effects track which I would have thought would be less useful than the stereo one you'd get from the Tascam.

The Tascam is not a bad recorder, and I think I'd stick with its own mics. If handling noise is an issue, invest in one of Rycote's portable recorder shockmount handles -- they are remarkably effective... as are the bespoke windjammer windshields.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Still Vibrations » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
The Tascam is not a bad recorder, and I think I'd stick with its own mics. If handling noise is an issue, invest in one of Rycote's portable recorder shockmount handles -- they are remarkably effective... as are the bespoke windjammer windshields.

H

Many thanks for your advice Hugh. I didn't know about the Rycote shockmount handles, they look like a good investment for the sort of things I do.
Incidentally the Tascam has both directional and omni mics.
Still Vibrations
Regular