You are here

Gear Graveyard

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Gear Graveyard

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:01 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:I am a hoarder of mics, but believe it is impossible to have too many :thumbup:

:)

To this day I miss the old Microphones forum. Not asking for it back but it was a pleasant place to obsess in.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby John Willett » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:I am a hoarder of mics, but believe it is impossible to have too many :thumbup:

:bouncy: Me too. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby blinddrew » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:01 pm

I aspire to this :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby awjoe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:This year I've been very good and disposed of nearly everything that isn't currently used in the studio.

Role model, you.

Bob Bickerton wrote:I am a hoarder of mics, but believe it is impossible to have too many :thumbup: Bob

Agreed. Mics didn't even enter my mind when I posted originally.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:26 am

I recently resurrected my old Phonic PMC1202 mixer from 25 years ago, which for much of that time has been festering in the shadows. Turns out it doesn't sound as awful as I remembered, especially on drums. I had a clearout of pedals when I realised I had 8 flangers. The danger of clearing out, of course, is that suddenly you have space to fill with more gear...

I'm less worried about standalone hardware graveyards than I am about software-reliant ones.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Dr R » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:06 pm

:thumbup:
Bob Bickerton wrote:Now when it comes to cardboard boxes, I'm in the habit of storing them under the house, just in case I sell on the gear, or have to send it for repair. Every so often I look in the basement and consider the impending fire risk and throw everything out!
Bob

We had a clear out of mount cardboard in our loft. The only boxes retained were those for the turntable, amp, speakers, audio interface and multitrack recorder - since they might have resale value. Everything else went.
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Previous