You are here

Gear Graveyard

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Gear Graveyard

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Not sure I understand the 'too many cables' thing? Surely cables are like mic stands and you can never have too many?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Luke W » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:04 pm

blinddrew wrote:Not sure I understand the 'too many cables' thing? Surely cables are like mic stands and you can never have too many?

In theory. Although this weekend just gone I did a gig and had to move at least 3 boxes of spares/repairs cable just to get to the mic stands, so I’m starting to doubt it. But then maybe I just need to stack things differently.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:43 pm

I have an increasing stack of check/repair cables (despite being, effectively, retired apart form my own band gigs). I will cull the sub standard and repair the decent ones. It's difficult to have too many working leads but far too easy to have too many crap/broken ones.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:34 am

Sam Spoons wrote:It's difficult to have too many working leads but far too easy to have too many crap/broken ones.

+1

Most of my surgery will be done on the ones that fail the wiggle test on the cable tester, and I have a few too many long ones which I'll convert to multiple shorties.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Smellthevalve » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:45 am

Wasn’t there a cartoon of a clay pigeon machine that used cassette tapes? Must look that one up...
Smellthevalve
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:30 am

Have some of you seen the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldontakes Amy to his "life Lockup"?
I am a bit like that but NOTHING like as organized! I have lots of "domestic" kit, cassette recorders (2) Mdisc (2) DVD rec&players (4) DCC (1) and all sorts of interface boxes to extract signals. Guitar speaker cabs. Drive units...Cables? DON'T get me started!

I AM getting better. I recently donated a Radford microV meter to a good cause!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 am

I'm another one with less 'retired' kit, and just more 'in storage because it's not being used at the moment' stuff instead. Admittedly, people tend to get cross at some of the stuff I'm not using, but I'm trying not to trip over gear all the time. I've even been entertaining some 'sell of stuff' thoughts recently. But I tend to get over those in time ...

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Zukan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:06 am

Zukan

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:15 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:It's difficult to have too many working leads but far too easy to have too many crap/broken ones.

+1

Most of my surgery will be done on the ones that fail the wiggle test on the cable tester, and I have a few too many long ones which I'll convert to multiple shorties.

Nooooooo!!!!!!! the day after you will get a gig that requires the long leads you have just cut up........... :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:50 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:

+1

Nooooooo!!!!!!! the day after you will get a gig that requires the long leads you have just cut up........... :headbang:
I'm keeping enough long ones for jams and things like that :thumbup: - I've got too many to possibly use as it stands now though :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 am

:D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:06 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:

+1

I'm keeping enough long ones for jams and things like that :thumbup: - I've got too many to possibly use as it stands now though :)

You say that now but... :bouncy:
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:

You say that now but... :bouncy:

No worries, I live within a (longish) walk from GAK ;-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:21 pm

blinddrew wrote:I tend to be pretty ruthless in establishing a demand for something before i buy so there's very little in my kit boxes that doesn't get regular use.

Same here, although I do have a suitcase in the garden shed full of cables (yes, including SCSI ones) ;)

My main problem is that I now live in a converted barn, so there's no loft space at all - I really can't buy anything new without disposing of something I already have.

For this reason I also spend a long time debating the pros and cons of each purchase, and tend to get a lot of extra life out of each one by heavy modding to add additional features.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Martin Walker wrote:For this reason I also spend a long time debating the pros and cons of each purchase, and tend to get a lot of extra life out of each one by heavy modding to add additional features.

Typed on a liquid helium cooled 1.2THz 80286 PC.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby John Willett » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
blinddrew wrote:I tend to be pretty ruthless in establishing a demand for something before i buy so there's very little in my kit boxes that doesn't get regular use.

Same here, although I do have a suitcase in the garden shed full of cables (yes, including SCSI ones) ;)

My main problem is that I now live in a converted barn, so there's no loft space at all - I really can't buy anything new without disposing of something I already have.

For this reason I also spend a long time debating the pros and cons of each purchase, and tend to get a lot of extra life out of each one by heavy modding to add additional features.

Martin

Easy solution - move into a house and use the barn for equipment storage ;) :bouncy:

(It's only because I am jealous - I would *love* to live in a barn conversion, or similar building with character - but I have to wilk the lottery first)
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:31 pm

awjoe wrote:...it's just some shelves in the basement loaded with gear that I haven't thrown out. Some of it still works, some of it doesn't, but even if it works, I don't use it. I think of what I paid for it and I can't bring myself to chuck it out.

I fully relate to this sentiment. I recently sold off my pristine Logic Control that had lain 'broken' with two dodgy faders for years, and the new owner fixed it within the day. Glad it got a new home.

I've got a mezzanine area in my studio and that's where I store empty boxes (can't throw those away either!!) plus unused gear like Tascam DAT, Roland rack mixer, PreSonus StudioLive (MkI), Mackie 1604 rack mixer... Yamaha NS10Ms, KRK RoKits, Genelec 1029a plus Subwoofer (fuses kept blowing so gave up using them)... Yamaha FB01 and TG33... MOTU 828 MkII, Drawmer compressor, Lexicon effects and other stuff I've forgotten about.

Like you, I simply can't justify chucking any out and tried finding homes for stuff via Readers' Ads, but the value of such outdated kit is minimal compared to what I invested, and as far as I am concerned, my brain can reconcile with categorising such gear as "unused" rather than obsolete/valueless.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,911 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Like you, I simply can't justify chucking any out and tried finding homes for stuff via Readers' Ads, but the value of such outdated kit is minimal compared to what I invested, and as far as I am concerned, my brain can reconcile with categorising such gear as "unused" rather than obsolete/valueless.

Spot on Ian - I still have my Korg M1, despite using the virtual equivalent nowadays, because many, many years ago I paid full price for it (£1500) via a bank loan, and can't bear to see it sold to someone else for peanuts :(

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dr R » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Based on this thread the next SOS forumites' challenge should not be another One Synth challenge, it should be the
"Any thing you like, but it must be over ten years old"
challenge.
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:33 pm

:clap: :clap:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext