You are here

Gear Graveyard

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Gear Graveyard

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:45 pm

The challenge for me would be trying to find something in my studio *less* than ten years old! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Dr R wrote:Based on this thread the next SOS forumites' challenge should not be another One Synth challenge, it should be the
"Any thing you like, but it must be over ten years old"
challenge.
Muhahahaha, sounds good to me!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby James Perrett » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I still have my Korg M1, despite using the virtual equivalent nowadays, because many, many years ago I paid full price for it (£1500) via a bank loan, and can't bear to see it sold to someone else for peanuts :(

It can't be long before it reaches classic status and starts appreciating again. One thing I threw out a few years ago was an old Philicorda organ which always sounded a bit naff to me - then Blur used one on a hit song and now every hip studio seems to have one.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby desmond » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 pm

James Perrett wrote:It can't be long before it reaches classic status and starts appreciating again.

I think it's unlikely, because there are no real advantages in using the hardware over the software, which is inexpensive and very light on the CPU. With the hardware, you get limited polyphony, a single instance, the need for an audio interface, it sounds "worse" than the software, and the interface is harder to use. The software also has all the Korg PCM cardsets, and also the Korg T-Series cardsets and extra samples.

The M1, Wavestation, D50 and other digital gear is emulated so well in the box, that dedicating the space for the hardware for the sounds alone seems not that worthwhile. I still have my hardware (non-EX) Wavestation, but only use it as a master keyboard these days, the software is much easier in a typical DAW environment. And the Roland D50 plugin completely cured my gas for a real D50...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:31 pm

On that basis should I not sell stuff to buy a Berry Model D and just buy a MiniMoog plug in?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:36 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:On that basis should I not sell stuff to buy a Berry Model D and just buy a MiniMoog plug in?

Very different things because a chief advantage of the hardware in this case is a dedicated, custom control surface designed for the synth engine itself - that's a significant win over a plugin.

It's not something that applies with a digital synth (like the M1) you primarily operate through a small display, where the software interface is usually superior, meaning the hardware has very little advantages in those cases.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:42 pm

Thank god for that...... :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:57 pm

But the D50 has a lovely keybed, and it has aftertouch. Reason enough to get one even if you ignore the sounds.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby desmond » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Wonks wrote:But the D50 has a lovely keybed, and it has aftertouch.

But a notoriously slow keyboard scanning mechanism. You're much better off with a DX7II for the keybed...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:21 am

Forum Admin wrote:and that's where I store empty boxes (can't throw those away either!!)

Ah, there you touch on my particular bête noire. The area in my loft that I call Mount Cardboard is getting quite impressive now. I'm wondering whether I could make a ski slope of it.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:34 am

desmond wrote:

But a notoriously slow keyboard scanning mechanism. You're much better of with a DX7II for the keybed...

Oh! A technology I know nothing about but I would have thought such a problem would be a no-brainer to avoid and/or picked up in development PD bloody Q?

"We" have had but a couple of cheap keyboards and they have been fine. I mean, you never get a slow scanning computer keyboard* do you?

*Just a quick look at this HP lappy there are around 70 keys to scan, more than many synths/controllers.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:12 am

ef37a wrote:
desmond wrote:

But a notoriously slow keyboard scanning mechanism. You're much better of with a DX7II for the keybed...

Oh! A technology I know nothing about but I would have thought such a problem would be a no-brainer to avoid and/or picked up in development PD bloody Q?

"We" have had but a couple of cheap keyboards and they have been fine. I mean, you never get a slow scanning computer keyboard* do you?

*Just a quick look at this HP lappy there are around 70 keys to scan, more than many synths/controllers.

Dave.

I must say I was quite shocked by that too.
What are they running on? Valves and wet string?
Even assuming a simple serial scan, 88 keys gives a latency of < 1mS with just a 100kHz clock rate. Go 12bit and it's 10kHz.

Hmm, just had a horrible thought. Surely they're not running their master clock at 31.5kHz?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:27 pm

Hey! Valves are pretty quick matey!

It's only the common cathode stage triode that has that capacitive lump at the grid. An ECC83 grounded grid could probably amp up CB radio?

Plenty of triodes in early colour tellies handling syncs at 15kHz!

Heh! As you say Will, probably chose a convenient but wrong clock rate by mistake then got too close to realease date to change it!

't'appen.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:27 pm

Well, just today I reduced my gear graveyard by one dbx 386. That's about it for now, though. Can't think of anything else I want to sell.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:49 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Well, just today I reduced my gear graveyard by one dbx 386. That's about it for now, though. Can't think of anything else I want to sell.

Bravo CC - that's very brave of you! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby awjoe » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:50 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Well, just today I reduced my gear graveyard by one dbx 386. That's about it for now, though. Can't think of anything else I want to sell.

CC

I've got a couple cables superfluous to needs, but I'm hanging on to them.

The problem with selling is it isn't much fun. Well, okay - I'll get rid of the monitors, one way or another. That's what I learned from this thread. But I'm hanging on to the Lexicon unit.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:43 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Well, just today I reduced my gear graveyard by one dbx 386...

Still hanging on to mine, though it sees minuscule use these days, as I have so many plug-ins that can offer me mild saturation and 'warmth' (though that's not the only benefit of the dbx preamp). Again, it's a fine piece of hardware and instinctively it feels like one day I might have need of another set of inputs that can be transferred to my AI via the 386's S/PDIF connection. (Who am I kidding?!!)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,861 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:56 am

Indeed a fine bit of kit, my second in fact, but I needed the cash badly having just recently bought yet another Apollo (second hand, but still ...).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 am

The 386? 1U of rack estate, valves and digital connections? No damned PSU to find room for... That's one piece of my kit that I can always find room for! Love it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Bob Bickerton » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:40 am

My problem is when I read reviews in SOS and convince myself that piece of gear is a necessity....... then I end up with the piece of gear it replaces staring at me..... and then I either hide it or reluctantly sell it.

This year I've been very good and disposed of nearly everything that isn't currently used in the studio. I've just swapped out a Presonus Central Station for a Drawmer CMC2 and a Radial Studio-Q and will have no qualms about putting the Presonus up for sale, otherwise I'm pretty clean.

I am a hoarder of mics, but believe it is impossible to have too many :thumbup:

Now when it comes to cardboard boxes, I'm in the habit of storing them under the house, just in case I sell on the gear, or have to send it for repair. Every so often I look in the basement and consider the impending fire risk and throw everything out!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

PreviousNext