You are here

Gear Graveyard

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Gear Graveyard

Postby awjoe » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:20 am

Well, it's not a graveyard really, it's just some shelves in the basement loaded with gear that I haven't thrown out. Some of it still works, some of it doesn't, but even if it works, I don't use it. I think of what I paid for it and I can't bring myself to chuck it out.

How big's your clutter closet/ghost rack/gear graveyard?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Gear Graveyard

Postby wdsteele » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:58 am

No surplus gear as such but I'd reckon , at at of the shelf ready made prices , at least a couple of hundred £'s in my cable spaghetti collection - I should have listened to the soldering advice which has been so loud and clear via this forum over the years.
Anything else sold on via eBay at good prices to allow someone else to hopefully enjoy.
wdsteele
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:19 am

I'm pretty ruthless with gear - it earns its place, or it goes out the door. The biggest 'graveyard' I have are guitar pedals. I don't have them set up permanently, so they tend to linger in a big plastic storage box until they're needed. But the ones at bottom are getting harder to get to...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:46 am

I tend to be pretty ruthless in establishing a demand for something before i buy so there's very little in my kit boxes that doesn't get regular use.
All i can think of at the moment is a zoom mrs8 and a tin whistle! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BJG145 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:11 am

It's mostly cables with me; they build up relentlessly, and somehow I can't chuck them out.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:17 am

I'm trying to reduce mine drastically as I type. The problem with living in a big house is the 'Alice's Restaurant' effect..... "There was a lot of room where the pews used to be so they didn't have to take out the garbage for an extra special long time" :headbang:

Much of my graveyard doesn't work anymore but I am trying to fix/match up with wall warts stuff as a prelude to ebay. Then it's deciding whether each should be pressed back into service or placed for disposal.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Luke W » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:39 am

I have a fair amount of kit "awaiting sale", mostly old live sound bits. Some of it has been waiting for a number of years though :roll:

I'm also another culprit for cables. I've got boxes and boxes of the stuff, some working, some waiting to be repaired, some with ends cut off, and I just keep convincing myself that it'll all be useful at some point...
Luke W
Regular
Techie/Musician Of Sorts

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 am

My graveyard is the loft. The trouble is that it's also storage for the infrequently used and the semi-retired etc. Some bits of kit will get used within the next yearn or two, some never and occasionally I'll encounter a zombie which was written off but then unexpectedly comes back to life.

I did have a bit of a token clear out this weekend (not just music stuff). I'm going to make a concerted effort between now and end of the year to have a proper clear out.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby IAA » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:57 am

Cables!! :headbang:
I can't ever remember needing so many so I'm not sure why I have so many - do they breed f you put a couple together for long enough? :bouncy:

I also have all the Macs I have ever had in the loft or under a bed in the spare room - I just can't let them go - I love the old Powermac G5 - it weighs a ton - I did wonder about converting it to a table for the studio or even a piano bench......such over engineering must have another purpose....

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:22 pm

eeeerrr...

Yamaha DMP7,
2 x Presonus Firestudio mobile,
Roland XP-10 (works apart from LCD),
Midiman micromixer 18,
Prodipe 4x4 Midi inteface,
(Broken) MOTU 828
Rane rack Line mixer
Fostex 250 4 track
Tascam 424 Mk III 4-track
Evolution 249c midi keyboard
Behringer unbalanced Patch bays

.. I think thats everything - some of it might come in handy ?? :blush:
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 pm

Oh, Carrilon AC-1 PC
and a Mac mini

...Yamaha SU-10, Yamaha MU 15
:headbang:
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:52 pm

I had built up a bit of a gear graveyard but then ebay started doing their maximum fee £1 offers to sellers so I had a big clearout. Still got a *stack* of cables in boxes but I keep those because it's surprising how often I need something obscure that I've either got or can cobble together from existing cables and adapters.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Luke W » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:06 pm

IAA wrote:I also have all the Macs I have ever had in the loft or under a bed in the spare room - I just can't let them go

Sounds familiar... I've still got my old G4 tower with a Digidesign 001. I can't think of a single (good) reason why I would ever need to have it around.
Luke W
Regular
Techie/Musician Of Sorts

Postby Mixedup » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:14 pm

I daren't even begin to explore this question... it would not be good for my mental health. :?
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:07 pm

I threw out 5 pc's a couple of weeks ago, 3 x laptops and 2 x desktops. I still have all the Macs, 2 x G4s (one dead one may work for a given definition of 'work') 3 x G5s and 2 x MBPs. The latter all work fine and all bar the oldest G5 (which can only run Snow Leopard) are all in daily use. The later G5s have stalled at El Capitan so will only be usable for so long.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Mostly cables, ack! SCSI cables anyone? Ancient apple cables? Fortunately there is electronics recycling in my building and I try to throw out a cable or two every week. But they do seem to breed faster than I can cull the herd.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Most of mine is in the 'one of these days I'm going to get that working again' category. I have an old Rebis rack (similar concept to the 500 series modules), some Neve modules and a couple of DAT machines in that category as well as lots of cables.

I had an all analogue session a few months ago which forced me to resurrect quite a few things like analogue compressors and gates.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 pm

I've (only recently) started to see the light and am actively unloading things at the moment.

I've given some stuff away, both for Karma and to repay old favours and the rest I'll be selling online very cheaply just to get it out of my vicinity. I say 'my' vicinity - luckily my wife's art studio wasn't being used for much at the moment so it's now full of synth workstations on the 'to move on' list ;-)

Planning to find boxes, manuals and do pics etc. later this week with a view to getting them listed and disposed of ASAP, along with a couple of other miscellaneous things I've left over from the process.

Cables. Hmm. Yes. Less said about them the better. Many of them I'm now considering as raw material and I'm going to make a day of it soon, cannibalise a lot of them, cut them to sensible lengths and solder new lumps (or re-solder salvaged lumps) on the ends.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
The  man cave and some resulting works.

Postby Rich Hanson » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Definitely cables for me. Hardware gets sold if I don't use it or get on with it.

I don't get rid of cables anymore because I've been burnt too often by needing one I've sold or given away recently!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 pm

The only bit of gear I've got that I don't use at all is a Yamaha TG33.
Now cable and miscellaneous electronic bits and bobs... well it's a good job I've got a cellar!

P.S.
If anyone wants the TG33, you'd be welcome to it.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Next