You are here

Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

Postby Gideon26 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 pm

I tested the BM-800 with the power box that came with it, and it works. So I don't think the mic is the problem.
Gideon26
Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:28 pm

If you are using the same male to female XLR lead between the mic and the phantom power module, where are you plugging in the cable from the phantom power module to? Into the PC's own soundcard with the 3.5mm jack lead, or into the UMC with another male to female XLR lead?

We have to keep guessing here as you aren't telling us all the connection details. We need to know the full signal chain of what works and what doesn't work.

Photos would help. You'll have to host the photos elsewhere then link to them here.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Gideon26 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:46 am

Here is my setup. Hope this helps.
Gideon26
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:17 am

Gideon26 wrote:Image

Here is my setup. Hope this helps.

No!

Dave. Ah! If I right clk on the red "im" I get it (pics are all a bit of a trial these days?) but it STILL does not tell us what we need to know!

You say "the mic works directly into the mac" How? Is that via the 3.5mm jack and if so I suspect the problem is in the BM-800 and the 48V to 5V reducing circuitry.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:46 am

Here is the picture that would not display above:-

John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Gideon26 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 am

John Willett wrote:Here is the picture that would not display above:-

Thank you! I'm not exactly sure why mine don't show up...what am I doing wrong?
Gideon26
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 am

Gideon26 wrote:

We shall be told G but I do know it ain't just you.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:52 am

Gideon26 wrote:

No idea - I got your image to display by right-clicking and selecting "view image".

I than right-clicked on the displayed image and clicked "view image info".

I then copied this - clicked the "Img" tag at the top of the new post I was writing and pasted the URL between the two [image] marks.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:34 am

Is your picture your actual setup? The connections seem alright, but there's a few button and knobs which need be in the right position:

- button "line/inst" for the input 1 set to "line"
- gain knob for input 1 around 12:00 or more (like in the pic)
- main out at a good level (over 0)
- the FX mix set all to the left (no FX for starting).
- "monitor" set to the actual outputs you have connected (A or B).
- if the BM800 has an on/off switch, make sure it's turned on :-)

Couple of side notes: if you're using passive speakers (i.e. u're connecting the phono outs) you will need a power amp to drive them. Also if the interface comes with a software mixer, levels and gains must be over 0 there as well.. but since you don't get any light in the input, these aren't probably pertinent here, even if you should see a signal light even if you didn't hear anything.

If your controls are apprx in that position (and as you increase gain and main out nothing happens) and still it doesn't work, I'm afraid that there's something wrong with either the interface or the mic.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:37 am

CS70 wrote: - button "line/inst" for the input 1 set to "line"

It's a mic on an XLR so this button doesn't matter at all in this instance.

I don't think the evil Google make it possible to view the image directly from elsewhere, you have to visit the page itself to see it. I've hosted it elsewhere so it can be seen easily.

Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:44 am

Wonks wrote:
CS70 wrote: - button "line/inst" for the input 1 set to "line"

It's a mic on an XLR so this button doesn't matter at all in this instance.

Right, thanks. I wonder if the bm800 has an on/off switch... doesn't look like it
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:51 am

No on-off switch on the BM-800 (The same mic is branded by quite a few Chinese suppliers).

It seems more and more likely that 48v power isn't getting to the mic, probably due to a USM problem.

I'd try using the other three inputs to see if they can provide phantom power. Turn the mix knob all the way to the 'in' setting (so you are only monitoring the inputs, nothing back from the computer) and turn the gains all the way up to start with. If the mic does work in the other inputs, then the gain will be too much and it will need turning down, but it's better to have too much than too little if you want to see the signal LED come on.

A multimeter to check the phantom power is still recommended, but if you haven't got one, then you haven't got one.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Gideon26 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:58 am

CS70 wrote:Is your picture your actual setup? The connections seem alright, but there's a few button and knobs which need be in the right position:

yes that is my setup exactly, the knobs and buttons are not tho, i didnt take the pic of the interface, i found it online ;)
Gideon26
Poster

Postby Gideon26 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:01 am

Wonks wrote:
It seems more and more likely that 48v power isn't getting to the mic, probably due to a USM problem.

I'd try using the other three inputs to see if they can provide phantom power. Turn the mix knob all the way to the 'in' setting (so you are only monitoring the inputs, nothing back from the computer) and turn the gains all the way up to start with. If the mic does work in the other inputs, then the gain will be too much and it will need turning down, but it's better to have too much than too little if you want to see the signal LED come on.

A multimeter to check the phantom power is still recommended, but if you haven't got one, then you haven't got one.

What is USM? I am not familiar with that term.

I will try out the other inputs, thanks for the tips.

Still looking into that, if I can get a hold of one i will definitely use it.
Gideon26
Poster

Postby Gideon26 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:03 am

I bought the interface off of Amazon.com, so if needed, I still have warranty. I also registered it with Behringer, so there's that option too I suppose.
Gideon26
Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:42 am

I meant the UMC, I just typed badly.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:48 am

If you have two XLR-XLR cables, or can get hold of/borrow another one, then you could try powering the mic from the separate 48v supply box you have, then taking the output from the box into the Behringer (but without the phantom power on).

You've said that the separate 48v supply box works, so if that's the case, then you should then see a signal back at the Behringer unit. If that works, then there's definitely a problem with the 48v from the Behringer unit and it needs to be replaced.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Gideon26 wrote:
CS70 wrote:Is your picture your actual setup? The connections seem alright, but there's a few button and knobs which need be in the right position:

yes that is my setup exactly, the knobs and buttons are not tho, i didnt take the pic of the interface, i found it online ;)

Yeah then something's broken.

There's always the option that something's off in the software setup - but the fact that the meter does not register anything on the interface points towards an hardware issue.

Can be the mic, the cable, or the interface. As Wonks say, there's two things that must work in the interface - one is the panthom power supply, the other is ...the rest. :D

Testing the cable is easy - try another one. They'not so expensive and an additional XLR is always useful.

To test the interface, you could try a mic which does not require phantom power - any dynamic will do, a super cheapo one works just as well. If you get a signal, it's the phantom supply that is gone. If you still don't get anything, then something's wrong with the rest of the interface (as well, possibly). Both cases, you need to replace the interface.

For the mic, you could try it someplace else i.e. with another interface/computer setup.

All of this can be done If u have a music shop nearby - you can just bring it there and ask to check things out.

Good luck!
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Gideon26 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Hello all,
I tried out most of your suggestions today,
But it always wound up, unsuccessful.
I am going to request a replacement from Amazon (or Behringer if the need arises).

While it is unfortunate that I received a "bad apple", I thank you all for your support and desire to help find a fix to the problem. :) I was pretty frustrated when my new interface wasn't working, you guys were life savers. Glad I stumbled upon this site. :D

I made a short comedy skit with my brother a few months ago, it was recorded using the BM-800, a +48v power box (came with the BM-800), and our MacBook Air. So it's not the best quality ever. :P I thought maybe some of y'all would enjoy it.
Link- https://youtu.be/MN9XxC2Yg0s
I bought an audio interface so as to improve the quality of my future audio projects, and am looking forward to when I can do that.

To all of you awesome people, a round of applause... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers!
Gideon26
Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:30 pm

I've just had another thought - I used to have the same interface, and while it will run on USB bus power, it does have a mains adaptor which needs to be plugged in in order for phantom power to work.

Could well be a daft question, but you did have the mains adaptor connected?
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext