You are here

Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

Page 3 of 4

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:44 am
by CS70
Wonks wrote:
CS70 wrote: - button "line/inst" for the input 1 set to "line"

It's a mic on an XLR so this button doesn't matter at all in this instance.

Right, thanks. I wonder if the bm800 has an on/off switch... doesn't look like it

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:51 am
by Wonks
No on-off switch on the BM-800 (The same mic is branded by quite a few Chinese suppliers).

It seems more and more likely that 48v power isn't getting to the mic, probably due to a USM problem.

I'd try using the other three inputs to see if they can provide phantom power. Turn the mix knob all the way to the 'in' setting (so you are only monitoring the inputs, nothing back from the computer) and turn the gains all the way up to start with. If the mic does work in the other inputs, then the gain will be too much and it will need turning down, but it's better to have too much than too little if you want to see the signal LED come on.

A multimeter to check the phantom power is still recommended, but if you haven't got one, then you haven't got one.

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:58 am
by Gideon26
CS70 wrote:Is your picture your actual setup? The connections seem alright, but there's a few button and knobs which need be in the right position:

yes that is my setup exactly, the knobs and buttons are not tho, i didnt take the pic of the interface, i found it online ;)

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:01 am
by Gideon26
Wonks wrote:
It seems more and more likely that 48v power isn't getting to the mic, probably due to a USM problem.

I'd try using the other three inputs to see if they can provide phantom power. Turn the mix knob all the way to the 'in' setting (so you are only monitoring the inputs, nothing back from the computer) and turn the gains all the way up to start with. If the mic does work in the other inputs, then the gain will be too much and it will need turning down, but it's better to have too much than too little if you want to see the signal LED come on.

A multimeter to check the phantom power is still recommended, but if you haven't got one, then you haven't got one.

What is USM? I am not familiar with that term.

I will try out the other inputs, thanks for the tips.

Still looking into that, if I can get a hold of one i will definitely use it.

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:03 am
by Gideon26
I bought the interface off of Amazon.com, so if needed, I still have warranty. I also registered it with Behringer, so there's that option too I suppose.

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:42 am
by Wonks
I meant the UMC, I just typed badly.

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:48 am
by Wonks
If you have two XLR-XLR cables, or can get hold of/borrow another one, then you could try powering the mic from the separate 48v supply box you have, then taking the output from the box into the Behringer (but without the phantom power on).

You've said that the separate 48v supply box works, so if that's the case, then you should then see a signal back at the Behringer unit. If that works, then there's definitely a problem with the 48v from the Behringer unit and it needs to be replaced.

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:57 pm
by CS70
Gideon26 wrote:
CS70 wrote:Is your picture your actual setup? The connections seem alright, but there's a few button and knobs which need be in the right position:

yes that is my setup exactly, the knobs and buttons are not tho, i didnt take the pic of the interface, i found it online ;)

Yeah then something's broken.

There's always the option that something's off in the software setup - but the fact that the meter does not register anything on the interface points towards an hardware issue.

Can be the mic, the cable, or the interface. As Wonks say, there's two things that must work in the interface - one is the panthom power supply, the other is ...the rest. :D

Testing the cable is easy - try another one. They'not so expensive and an additional XLR is always useful.

To test the interface, you could try a mic which does not require phantom power - any dynamic will do, a super cheapo one works just as well. If you get a signal, it's the phantom supply that is gone. If you still don't get anything, then something's wrong with the rest of the interface (as well, possibly). Both cases, you need to replace the interface.

For the mic, you could try it someplace else i.e. with another interface/computer setup.

All of this can be done If u have a music shop nearby - you can just bring it there and ask to check things out.

Good luck!

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:23 pm
by Gideon26
Hello all,
I tried out most of your suggestions today,
But it always wound up, unsuccessful.
I am going to request a replacement from Amazon (or Behringer if the need arises).

While it is unfortunate that I received a "bad apple", I thank you all for your support and desire to help find a fix to the problem. :) I was pretty frustrated when my new interface wasn't working, you guys were life savers. Glad I stumbled upon this site. :D

I made a short comedy skit with my brother a few months ago, it was recorded using the BM-800, a +48v power box (came with the BM-800), and our MacBook Air. So it's not the best quality ever. :P I thought maybe some of y'all would enjoy it.
Link- https://youtu.be/MN9XxC2Yg0s
I bought an audio interface so as to improve the quality of my future audio projects, and am looking forward to when I can do that.

To all of you awesome people, a round of applause... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers!

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:30 pm
by Rich Hanson
I've just had another thought - I used to have the same interface, and while it will run on USB bus power, it does have a mains adaptor which needs to be plugged in in order for phantom power to work.

Could well be a daft question, but you did have the mains adaptor connected?

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:37 pm
by Gideon26
Rich Hanson wrote:I've just had another thought - I used to have the same interface, and while it will run on USB bus power, it does have a mains adaptor which needs to be plugged in in order for phantom power to work.

Could well be a daft question, but you did have the mains adaptor connected?

Yes I did.

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:38 pm
by Rich Hanson
Just checking :thumbup:

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 pm
by Wonks
ignore - missed the page break.

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:10 pm
by Gideon26
QUICK UPDATE:
Hello again everyone!
I received the UMC404 HD replacement from Amazon today. After testing it for a few minutes, everything is working well and as it should. :thumbup: Thanks again for all your help.

Re: Help! My new audio interface isn't picking up sig from mic!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:21 pm
by Wonks
Greta news! :thumbup:

Thanks for getting back to us on this, it helps everyone to know the results. It can be hard work tracking down the cause of a fault, but it's nice to know the correct faulty item was identified.

I hope you now have many trouble-free years of use from your equipment. Happy recording!