You are here

Recording simultaneously onto two computers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording simultaneously onto two computers

Postby EmpireSystems » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:09 pm

I'll be using a Midas M32 to record a live show for an album and I was wondering if I can easily record it onto 2 separate computers using a USB hub or something similar. Does this work or are there any better ideas?

thanks!
EmpireSystems

Re: Recording simultaneously onto two computers

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:24 am

32x32 to both a computer and a USB hard drive using the X-Live card. Not aware of a way to record to two computers though as in this context only one computer can be a host (that method should be at least as safe).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ore_terra » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:31 am

You could record to a computer and a SD card simultaneously and afterwards drop the SD card tracks in as many other computers as you wish
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 am

Sorry, my bad, the X-Live does indeed record to SD cards not USB drives :blush: That is more or less what I had in mind.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ore_terra » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:27 am

... and I confess you’ve made me google expansion cards with usb drive capabilities :lol:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:58 am

Call it 'team work' OT :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby EmpireSystems » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks, I’ve been looking at the cards that have the USB and SD card slots, they all seem to be in the same $200 price range. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is there any difference between brands?
EmpireSystems

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:06 am

Not specifically the recording cards but the X32 system is pretty well sorted these days. Either way the Behringer forum https://forum.musictribe.com/forumdisplay.php?70-X32-General-Discussion is the best place to ask. The choice between the Berry X-Live and the Cymatic probably depends on the media you want to record to, the X-Live uses SD cards, the Cymatic a USB drive (both, I believe, simultaneously acting as a 32x32 USB audio interface).

http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Accessories/X-LIVE/p/P0AWR

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cymatic-utrack-x32
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ore_terra » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:22 am

The X live can be run from the mixer itself; it doesnt need an app to run like the cymatic.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:40 am

The Cymatic can do basic 32 track recording to the HDD without need for the app (there is a 'record' button on the card along with a 'format' button) but not much else. It is not surprising that the X-Live is better integrated into the system though.

If SD card media is acceptable I would go for the X-Live for that reason.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 am

So, are there no MADI or Dante implementations that can just allow the signal to be 'tee'd'?

I had a vague idea that the MADI stream can be passed through to another device as I thought that that was how modern OB/recording trucks worked (long madi link to multiple devices for capture).

And given that Dante is just basically networking, it should be possible to have the stream hit a multicast ip address that various devices can 'tune' to / receive from.

In olden days, I know of people who used Adat interfaces that happily allowed passthrough (could even have been the old Adat recorders themselves) so that a secondary system could also take the signals and record them. This was a belt and braces approach in the times when recording to computers was still making people nervous..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:32 am

Both MADI and Dante cards are available for the X/M32 range. I guess we assumed the OP would want the most straightforward solution though, hence X-Live/Cymatic.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:32 am

Dave B wrote:So, are there no MADI or Dante implementations that can just allow the signal to be 'tee'd'?

Yep. Possible with both of those protocols -- and both used that way routinely in broadcast, live sound, and educational installations.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound