You are here

UA reverbs

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

UA reverbs

Postby Still Vibrations » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:47 am

I have bought a UA Apollo Twin ll and was wondering if anyone on this forum has any opinions on the various UA reverb plug-ins?
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Re: UA reverbs

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:58 am

My twin came with the Pure plate and the RealVerb pro and I like them both. I would use the stock logic reverb over the RealVerb mainly because it's native but the PurePlate is very nice and it gets a lot of use. It's lightish on the sharks to. :thumbup:
I will get the oceanway when there is a good sale. It's too expensive for me at full price. I've demoed it tho and it is awesomely fantastic!
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Still Vibrations » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:16 am

Many thanks for your views Humble Bee. In the 1980s I really liked the AMS but it is expensive and some effects I liked in the past I no longer find suitable. I think the sounds I use now need a smoother reverb sound than I have been using. The other thing is I invariably used plate settings but wonder if they now sound old fashioned?
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:25 am

I am certainly no expert but I like the PurePlate as I said. I haven't demoed the others except for the ocean way one. They are all quite expensive... and DSP hungry.

Just demo them and see what you like.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:50 am

The UA reverbs are perfectly good, especially the Plate 140, but I'm not sure I'd buy a UAD card just for the reverbs as there are so many good native options. I don't think there are any algorithmic UAD reverbs that are for instance better than Exponential Audio R4 or FabFilter Pro-R. I also use a lot of convolution reverbs like the HOFA IQ-Reverb, and those don't really have a UAD equivalent. The Ocean Way Studios plug-in can be really good for some things though.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:13 am

I use the EMT 140 for comfort reverb when that's required because it's so easy to tweak in a hurry as well as giving a good sound, but my go-to reverb in the DAW is 2CAudio Breeze. Nothing against UA reverbs and no hangup about native vs DSP, I just like Breeze.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Mixedup » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:31 am

As Sam said, I don't think I'd invest in UAD DSP purely for a reverb, and there are equally good native algorithmic reverbs. But if you do go the UAD route, while others are good, the Plate 140 is excellent; it just works.

If you don't go down the UA route and want mechanical reverbs, then Acustica are doing some lovely things both in their Acqua range and via third-party libraries for Nebula (eg Cupwise Plates of Legend).

EDIT: I just realised the OP has already invested in the DSP... in which case Plate 140 is great and doesn't cane the DSP. But the DSP in a Twin is kinda limited, so it all depends on what else you want to be able to run on there... you'll have to choose what you're running on UA and what natively. Note that many of the third-partty plug-ins for UAD are also available natively (Softube, Brainworx etc). I try to keep to the exclusive-to-UAD stuff for UAD, and choose native where there's the alternative...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:40 am

I use the UAD Lexicon 224 on most projects. Anything from enhancing orchestral and choir recordings through to solo vocal and instrument reverbs, though true to say I record mainly acoustic music.

Latest release is a UAD emulation of the Lexicon 480 which will be very tempting. The good news with UAD is that it’s easy to audition the plug-ins, the bad news is that generally sound great and you end up buying them.

However I also have my eye on the new TC Electronic TC8210-DT desk top controlled reverb which I have already ordered. I have been very impressed with their TC2290-DT delay unit and have enjoyed various iterations of their reverbs over the years, so the 8210 could be very interesting.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:38 pm

the EMT 140 is outstanding. Ocean studio I find hard to dial in and it's just too lush for my needs so I hardly ever bother with it. I probably have 10-12 plug-in reverbs and generally use either UADs EMT140, their Lexicon 224 or Waves Abbey Road plates .
Watchmaker
Regular
"one feels most reassured hearing an expert's opinions on the matter..."

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Watchmaker wrote:I probably have 10-12 plug-in reverbs

They do seem to breed, don't they?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby CS70 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Mixedup wrote:As Sam said, I don't think I'd invest in UAD DSP purely for a reverb, and there are equally good native algorithmic reverbs. .

Agreed - I use a Twin as well and I usually keep the processing power for stuff where really UAD is unique, like the LA2A and Pultec emulations.

Still the Lexicons are great and so is the EMT... but I echo Bob's sentiment - the main problem with UAD stuff is that you demo it and it's so good that you end up buying it or suffering for some weeks until the next sale! :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby jaminem » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:18 pm

I love the reverbs on the UA platform.

Plate 140 is a great bread and butter 'verb
the BX20 is amazing on guitars (but DSP hungry)
The RMS16 is great on drums (but then I like Phil Collins and Tommy Lee!)

I don't ever use native verbs, but I have 7 DSP cores in my system

Re the price, always hear people bitching about it, but if youre smart there is no reason to EVER buy a UAD plugin full price, just register and purchase when stuff on sale - they have a promotion every month - Black Friday is coming, you get additional vouchers when you buy DSP, when you do their surveys, hell if you haven't bought a plugin for a while they even drop vouchers in your account to tempt you back.

You just need to pick your moments - the sale versions of 'buy any 3 plugins for XXX' are particulary good here....
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby redlester » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:06 am

jaminem wrote:I love the reverbs on the UA platform.

Plate 140 is a great bread and butter 'verb
the BX20 is amazing on guitars (but DSP hungry)
The RMS16 is great on drums (but then I like Phil Collins and Tommy Lee!)

I don't ever use native verbs, but I have 7 DSP cores in my system

Re the price, always hear people bitching about it, but if youre smart there is no reason to EVER buy a UAD plugin full price, just register and purchase when stuff on sale - they have a promotion every month - Black Friday is coming, you get additional vouchers when you buy DSP, when you do their surveys, hell if you haven't bought a plugin for a while they even drop vouchers in your account to tempt you back.

You just need to pick your moments - the sale versions of 'buy any 3 plugins for XXX' are particulary good here....

This. I succumbed when I decided to get an audio interface with more inputs and they were having a sale on the Apollo 8 prior to introducing the new current ones. I’ve got about 25 or so plugins so far and haven’t paid full price for any.

I have both the AMS and the Lexicon 224 but haven’t really used them in anger yet, have only played around with the presets. I need to learn how to use them effectively. (Repeat ad nauseam for numerous bits of software!)
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:30 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:
Watchmaker wrote:I probably have 10-12 plug-in reverbs

They do seem to breed, don't they?

CC

You're telling me. I just this minute bought Eventide Blackhole, in their "Black Friday" sale for £39. Saw this one being used on a YouTube tutorial a while back to great effect, but the standard price of $199 was way too much. It really does pay to wait with these things, as with UAD.

This should probably be in a different section of the forum but if anyone is interested in Eventide products it's well worth checking out the prices of everything here before the "interesting" Westminster situation drives the £ v $ down any more!
https://www.eventideaudio.com/specials/holiday-sale
redlester
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:20 pm

redlester wrote:https://www.eventideaudio.com/specials/holiday-sale

Noooo now I've seen and I cannot unsee. :-)

The H910 at $99 and the Ultrareverb at $49 seem very interesting, anyone knows them? (well, for the former, does it sound like the hardware?)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby The Coastal Path » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:32 pm

I can't tell you whether the H910 sounds like the hardware - but it's definitely one of my favourite & most-used plug-ins, especially for vocals.
The Coastal Path
Poster
The Coastal Path

Postby Still Vibrations » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Many thanks for all the replies. I decided to go for the Lexicon 480L but before I bought it I got a UA offer of any two plug-ins for £229 - so I decided to get the Lexicon and the AMS.

I also got the Valhalla Vintage reverb (which is native of course).

This forum really is wonderful for discussing equipment decisions.
Still Vibrations
Regular

Postby Arty Skye » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:08 am

You got the 2 best reverbs there! With the 480 you don't really need the 224. And the plates on this 480 are great. Very close to the original. And the AMS is...well, the AMS! Good choices.
Arty Skye

Postby Zukan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:41 am

CS70 wrote:
redlester wrote:https://www.eventideaudio.com/specials/holiday-sale

Noooo now I've seen and I cannot unsee. :-)

The H910 at $99 and the Ultrareverb at $49 seem very interesting, anyone knows them? (well, for the former, does it sound like the hardware?)

I have the above and the 2016 Room and the 2016 general verb. All are excellent.
Zukan

Postby redlester » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:Many thanks for all the replies. I decided to go for the Lexicon 480L but before I bought it I got a UA offer of any two plug-ins for £229 - so I decided to get the Lexicon and the AMS.

They have their Black Friday promotions now going. The "three for the price of.." bundle is currently four for £299 as of today. Must resist.........
redlester
Regular