You are here

Sennheiser e906 and e845 S user opinions?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sennheiser e906 and e845 S user opinions?

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 pm

I’m looking for a live mic that can handle bamboo and glass flutes, all kinds of metal, wood, glass and skin percussion instruments. It needs to have a fair degree of rejection. I was going to grab the e845 S but then the e906 was on at half it’s regular price so slightly cheaper than the e845.
I’ve looked at the plots and after doing more research have decided either could work well.

This all began because I was hoping for something a hair better in terms of frequency range than the SM57. And it has to be good bang for the buck.

Any observations about the Sennheisers from personal experience would be appreciated.
Thanks!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Re: Sennheiser e906 and e845 S user opinions?

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:14 am

For live use? In the studio you would not question using a SDC, live I'd probably still be looking at a capacitor especially if the player sings as well.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Bob Bickerton » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:22 am

I have both and neither would be my first pick for the sources you mention, least of all the e906.

I would be thinking Sennheiser e614 or Beyer M201 - neither of which you would ever regret buying.

They say the M201 is what an SM57 would sound like if it was a proper microphone........ (he said ducking for cover....)

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Ariosto » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:21 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:I have both and neither would be my first pick for the sources you mention, least of all the e906.

I would be thinking Sennheiser e614 or Beyer M201 - neither of which you would ever regret buying.

They say the M201 is what an SM57 would sound like if it was a proper microphone........ (he said ducking for cover....)

Bob
I don't know the Sennheiser mics but I would agree with Bob that the Beyer M201 is an excellent mic - I've just bought one and I'm delighted with it.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Can I chuck in a low budget option and suggest an AKG P4? It really is a very good mic for the money. Slightly less low end than a 57, but clearer sounding than an M201. 150dB SPL capacity. Tight pattern and with a neo magnet for a strong output (it's not stated but it has the same output as the more expensive D40 which is neo and has the same sensitivity - but that has a very loose pattern and not really suited to live work).

However it seems far more expensive in Canada (I could only find $99.99) than in the UK where it's £43. Maybe you'll have better luck at finding it cheaper.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:18 pm

So Mr Wonks even though it's not a super or hypercardioid is it possible the AKG would still have a pattern close to a super or hypercardioid? I ask as I am not a great interpreter of polar pattern pictures.
I assume all manufacturers interpretation of cardioid patterns may differ and the AKG might give the Sennheisers a run for their money in a shootout.

So it seems my choices are a either an inexpensive mic that offers good bang for buck or I just spend some real dough on something that would have usefulness in the studio as well.

Back to research and then hopefully some testing if I can get them all in the same room.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:24 pm

AKG don't give a polar pattern diagram for the mic, but in my simple studio 'turn the monitor volume right up and turn the mic round until it rings' test, it did pretty well and got to about 20° off dead centre before it got noisy.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby twotoedsloth » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:28 pm

I just bought 8 Sennheiser e953 cardioid dynamic mics for amplifying panel discussions and Jazz orchestra in a university setting. I'm really quite pleased with them, and the price in Canada is just $99. It's worth renting a couple and seeing if they suit your purposes.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:30 am

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster