You are here

Tape Splicing Block

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Tape Splicing Block

Postby John Willett » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:47 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Aww yes - accuracy! Numerous times a dull blade really buggered the angle of my cuts. I remember trying a sawing motion when sharper blades were not available which made the angle even worse because it pulled the tape into the groove. Lesson learned.

Buy a box of 100 (Canford Audio) and throw each one away as they get dull :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Dan LB » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:45 pm

For anyone wondering about the splicit.com blocks, I’ve had a reply from Roger at splicit.com and he says the angles on their blocks are actual ie. 45 and 90.

I’m still scouting eBay for an Editall block with 60 and 87 degree slots at the right price ;)

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:42 am

Bought one on eBay in the end. A bit steep at €57 :o but that includes postage and it was surprisingly considerably cheaper than any other I could find. Oh well, that’s supply and demand for ya! It’s an Editall with 45, 60 and 87ish degree slots.

Thank you all for your input and advice. :clap:

Dan :beamup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:11 am

Sentimental old fool that I am I still have my 'editing box'... EMI block, several single-sided razor blades, a couple of chinagraphs, a reel of splicing tape, some coloured leader and an abomination of an amateur block which had some clamps to hold the tape tight as you cut it.

But as said, the EMI block was a work of art.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:15 am

Sorry Dan... egg-sucking tips for granny: I guess you've done tape-editing before and know the importance of an offset-mark so you don't risk gunk-up or damage to the replay head with chinagraph.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:37 am

Dan LB wrote:Bought one on eBay in the end.

Looks to be in very good condition, and your heirs will be able to sell it for at least twice that when they receive their inheritance! :lol:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:39 am

Mike Stranks wrote:...the importance of an offset-mark so you don't risk gunk-up or damage to the replay head with chinagraph.

I appreciate the reason for this sage advice, but I can't think of anywhere that I've done this or seen it done. We were just taught to be careful when marking the tape against the head gap -- and it only needs a small dot at the right place, after all.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:...the importance of an offset-mark so you don't risk gunk-up or damage to the replay head with chinagraph.

I appreciate the reason for this sage advice, but I can't think of anywhere that I've done this or seen it done. We were just taught to be careful when marking the tape against the head gap -- and it only needs a small dot at the right place, after all.

H

Well there y'go! Not all BBC advice is the same...! I was taught the importance of using an offset when being 'retrained'(!) by an engineer at BBC Bristol... :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Sentimental old fool that I am I still have my 'editing box'... EMI block, several single-sided razor blades, a couple of chinagraphs, a reel of splicing tape, some coloured leader and an abomination of an amateur block which had some clamps to hold the tape tight as you cut it.

But as said, the EMI block was a work of art.

Same here - as well as my CAT splicer :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Well there y'go! Not all BBC advice is the same...!

Ain't that the truth! :D And it's even worse now that Wood Norton no longer trains all and sundry...

I was taught the importance of using an offset when being 'retrained'(!) by an engineer at BBC Bristol... :D

Yes, I can see the sense of it, and it's quite practical if you always work on the same machine so become familiar with the offset marking position on the tape path and it's equivalent on the splicing block. But it would be impractical when working with a multitude of different tape machines -- as most of us did.

A carefully placed dot in the middle of the tape over the head-gap worked reliably enough for us, and we also cleaned the tape path meticulously each time we used the machine too (and checked the head azimuth too).

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Dan LB » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Sorry Dan... egg-sucking tips for granny: I guess you've done tape-editing before and know the importance of an offset-mark so you don't risk gunk-up or damage to the replay head with chinagraph.

Hey Mike, I have edited tape before albeit quite a while ago (like most people I’d imagine) but I didn’t do very much of it. I hadn’t come across the offset mark before either. Like Hugh I would always just place a dot on the tape directly over the head.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:32 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Looks to be in very good condition, and your heirs will be able to sell it for at least twice that when they receive their inheritance! :lol:

H

My heirs? I reckon I could sell it tomorrow for twice what I paid!! :lol:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:44 pm

A scan through ebay completed listings makes interesting reading, most editing blocks appear to have sold for around £30-40 inc postage from the US so you paid about the going rate but there are a good few kit fliers out there..
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous