You are here

Tape Splicing Block

Page 3 of 4

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:47 am
by John Willett
ManFromGlass wrote:Aww yes - accuracy! Numerous times a dull blade really buggered the angle of my cuts. I remember trying a sawing motion when sharper blades were not available which made the angle even worse because it pulled the tape into the groove. Lesson learned.

Buy a box of 100 (Canford Audio) and throw each one away as they get dull :thumbup:

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:45 pm
by Dan LB
For anyone wondering about the splicit.com blocks, I’ve had a reply from Roger at splicit.com and he says the angles on their blocks are actual ie. 45 and 90.

I’m still scouting eBay for an Editall block with 60 and 87 degree slots at the right price ;)

Dan

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:42 am
by Dan LB
Bought one on eBay in the end. A bit steep at €57 :o but that includes postage and it was surprisingly considerably cheaper than any other I could find. Oh well, that’s supply and demand for ya! It’s an Editall with 45, 60 and 87ish degree slots.

Image

Thank you all for your input and advice. :clap:


Dan :beamup:

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:11 am
by Mike Stranks
Sentimental old fool that I am I still have my 'editing box'... EMI block, several single-sided razor blades, a couple of chinagraphs, a reel of splicing tape, some coloured leader and an abomination of an amateur block which had some clamps to hold the tape tight as you cut it.

But as said, the EMI block was a work of art.

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:15 am
by Mike Stranks
Sorry Dan... egg-sucking tips for granny: I guess you've done tape-editing before and know the importance of an offset-mark so you don't risk gunk-up or damage to the replay head with chinagraph.

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:37 am
by Hugh Robjohns
Dan LB wrote:Bought one on eBay in the end.
Image

Looks to be in very good condition, and your heirs will be able to sell it for at least twice that when they receive their inheritance! :lol:

H

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:39 am
by Hugh Robjohns
Mike Stranks wrote:...the importance of an offset-mark so you don't risk gunk-up or damage to the replay head with chinagraph.

I appreciate the reason for this sage advice, but I can't think of anywhere that I've done this or seen it done. We were just taught to be careful when marking the tape against the head gap -- and it only needs a small dot at the right place, after all.

H

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:11 pm
by Mike Stranks
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:...the importance of an offset-mark so you don't risk gunk-up or damage to the replay head with chinagraph.

I appreciate the reason for this sage advice, but I can't think of anywhere that I've done this or seen it done. We were just taught to be careful when marking the tape against the head gap -- and it only needs a small dot at the right place, after all.

H

Well there y'go! Not all BBC advice is the same...! I was taught the importance of using an offset when being 'retrained'(!) by an engineer at BBC Bristol... :D

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:32 pm
by John Willett
Mike Stranks wrote:Sentimental old fool that I am I still have my 'editing box'... EMI block, several single-sided razor blades, a couple of chinagraphs, a reel of splicing tape, some coloured leader and an abomination of an amateur block which had some clamps to hold the tape tight as you cut it.

But as said, the EMI block was a work of art.

Same here - as well as my CAT splicer :thumbup:

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:59 pm
by Hugh Robjohns
Mike Stranks wrote:Well there y'go! Not all BBC advice is the same...!

Ain't that the truth! :D And it's even worse now that Wood Norton no longer trains all and sundry...

I was taught the importance of using an offset when being 'retrained'(!) by an engineer at BBC Bristol... :D

Yes, I can see the sense of it, and it's quite practical if you always work on the same machine so become familiar with the offset marking position on the tape path and it's equivalent on the splicing block. But it would be impractical when working with a multitude of different tape machines -- as most of us did.

A carefully placed dot in the middle of the tape over the head-gap worked reliably enough for us, and we also cleaned the tape path meticulously each time we used the machine too (and checked the head azimuth too).

H

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:30 pm
by Dan LB
Mike Stranks wrote:Sorry Dan... egg-sucking tips for granny: I guess you've done tape-editing before and know the importance of an offset-mark so you don't risk gunk-up or damage to the replay head with chinagraph.

Hey Mike, I have edited tape before albeit quite a while ago (like most people I’d imagine) but I didn’t do very much of it. I hadn’t come across the offset mark before either. Like Hugh I would always just place a dot on the tape directly over the head.

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:32 pm
by Dan LB
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Looks to be in very good condition, and your heirs will be able to sell it for at least twice that when they receive their inheritance! :lol:

H

My heirs? I reckon I could sell it tomorrow for twice what I paid!! :lol:

Re: Tape Splicing Block

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:44 pm
by Sam Spoons
A scan through ebay completed listings makes interesting reading, most editing blocks appear to have sold for around £30-40 inc postage from the US so you paid about the going rate but there are a good few kit fliers out there..