You are here

Home studio - Microphone

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Home studio - Microphone

Postby ssehr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:48 pm

I want to record my singing (ballad/pop/opera with high parts something like Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli, Bono, Sinatra, Presley) in home but I do not have any microphone, interface and acoustic isolation in my room ( approx. 20m2) - I only have laptop, speakers, headphones and keyboard. I do not know which microphone and equipment I should buy. I was wondering about Rode NT1, Bluebird Blue and Shure SM7b. I do not have a lot of money. I can allocate max. 600$ for that. I thinking about SM7b which is not a dynamic microphone because it will be easy to use it on stage in the future but I am not sure that it will be enough to good home recording and will be enough sensitive. I do not know which (maybe no one of them) will be suitable me most with my recording place and voice predispositions. Sorry for any language mistakes.
I will be happy for any wise answer
ssehr

Re: Home studio - Microphone

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:55 pm

The SM7b is a studio mic, not ideal for live use. And, yes, it is a dynamic. Without room treatment (not isolation BTW but something to reduce the effect of the rooms acoustic) you would probably do as well with something designed for the stage like a Beta 58 maybe?. There are many capable audio interfaces and with one of those and a good pair of headphones you'd be good to go for starters at least. Look at the Studio SoS articles in the mag WRT improvised acoustic treatment using duvets.

Lots more but others will chip in soon too I'm sure.

Oh and welcome to the forum
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Buy a budget mic and spend the rest on room treatment. I'd maybe go for a general purpose dynamic mic which will still come in useful as you expand your studio - something like a Beyer M201 or Shure SM57. If you want something that you can use on stage then the usual suspects like the Shure SM58 will work - in fact quite a few vocals have been recorded on one and it can work amazingly well. I have a couple of ancient SM58's here and they get used on all kinds of things.

If you are looking for an interface I'd probably look at Audient for the quality of their mic preamps.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:16 pm

First of all, keep in mind that a bit of acoustic treatment will do wonders for recording vocals no matter what kit you have. And you don't need money at all. Search SOS for "duvet" and you'll find out. :-)

Then, about the kit, it's really personal preference but among the three you've mentioned I'd go for the Bluebird. The SM57B is a great mic but due to its low sensitivity it can be a little harder to use for a beginner. The NT1, I don't like and always found overly harsh on male vocals, but of course it depends on the vocalist (you, that is :) ). Best is if you can try all of them in your room with your treatment and your voice.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Using a microphone which is designed to be worked close, such as a stage vocal microphone will help attenuate problems with an untreated room even though it is no substitute for acoustic treatment. The SM7b is also a microphone that is worked close and of the mics you mention would be my pick for your purpose, however, as has been said, it would not be the most flattering microphone to be used live, given its size (unless you’re very shy!)

There are numerous stage vocal microphones available and whilst SM58s are still considered an ‘industry standard’ there are many other, and in my opinion, better options out there. The problem is finding the mic that best fits your voice.

For a smoother jazz vocalist, I’d perhaps consider the Beyerdynamic M201 (which is a rather good live vocal microphone if you use its bespoke foam sock), M69 or the newer TG V70d.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:56 pm

I'd say look at the Shure 57 or 58. Inexpensive, as bullet proof and as verstaile as they come, they've also been used more than all other mics combined probably. As you're beginning the journey, there's nowhere better to start and you can always stock up ye olde mic locker as you grow into it.
Watchmaker
Regular
"one feels most reassured hearing an expert's opinions on the matter..."