You are here

recording a Brassband

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: recording a Brassband

Postby Janneman » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:50 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
Janneman wrote:Will Rode m3 do the trick?

M3 is a good mic in its class, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a recording such as this. What other mics do you have, or could you borrow?

If you could afford them then the Rode M5s punch above their weight - I'm been quietly impressed with the bang-for-buck they offer. Of course, if you can splash some cash then there's a whole world of mics out there that would suit!

The Line Audio OM1 and CM3 are exceptional mics for the money - although you wouldn't really be advised to use the CM3 in ORTF as it's a 'wide' cardioid.

Hi Mike,

I could try to rent a few Rode M5s. I can rent from a company nearby.

AKG C-1000
Oktava MK-012
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Octava: :thumbup:

AKG C1000: :thumbdown: An inferior version of the Rode M3

If you're up for renting then some of the mics already mentioned would be worth hiring. Neumann KM184 always a good bet as are Rode NT5s.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Aural Reject » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:02 pm

blinddrew wrote:Morning Janneman, this thread might be useful if you've not read it already: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 401#129780

Aural Reject is something of an expert in this field if he's still hanging around.

Aww shucks :o

Still here but on holiday in Crete atm so a quick scan off my phone.

This isn’t a British style brass band by definition.

You’ve already had lots of good advice but it may be better if you can tell us a little more about the brass instrumentation?
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby Janneman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:37 am

one bass tube
one horn
one trombone
two trumpets
two horns
one drum
vocalist (female)

Janneman
Regular

Postby Janneman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:19 am

Update.

now i'm thinking about this"

4 mics for drums, 2x overheads, 1 BD, 1 SN

2 mics ORTF for the horns on the left

2 mics ORTF for the horns on the right

2 mics ORTF were the conductor is standing for the overall sound, just in case.

anyone thoughts about this

regards
Janneman
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:29 am

Would you not want something for the vocal? If your mic count is limited, take one of the drum overheads off and use that channel for the vocal. A single drum overhead would be fine in your situation.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:44 am

According to your original post (and I've had a look back and couldn't see any updated information), you only had an 8 input interface and you are now listing ten mics (or eleven if the missing vocal is added without repurposing another mic).

So has your recording hardware setup changed at all, or have you just made a small mistake?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Janneman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The vocals we are going to record later.

The 2 overall ortf mics i will record on a tascam seperatly and see or it is useable. Just in case. The audio interface is still a focusrite clarett with 8 inputs.

But, will the new setup works.

/
Janneman
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:14 pm

Hmmm...

You may have great difficulty syncing the recording made on a separate recorder with the main recording should decide to use it.

I tried this once with two Zoom recorders. It was impossible to sync afterwards. The recordings drifted out of sync within a couple of minutes, meaning the secondary recording proved unusable. Of course you can try time-stretching/pitch-constant utilities, but I think the faffing about needed will prove tiresome in the extreme and may well still produce undesirable artefacts however meticulous you are.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Also, I’d be approaching this as the main ORTF pair being your principal microphones with others as spot mics to be used as and when required for balance. I’d put the least important mics on the Tascam knowing that it would be quite likely that they would not be able to be synced i.e. used!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Me too :thumbup: Do you have the chance to experiment or is it a one off opportunity to record this ensemble? If you are recording in a great sounding space, I would suggest the best sound could be achieved from an ORTF stereo pair (other stereo arrays are available :smirk: ). Bands like this are used to balancing themselves so if they are any good they will do that naturally. But it does depend on the band, and whether you are trying to achieve a 'live' sound or a more 'polished' studio recording.

If you can try things out (and are committed to recording the vocals later) you could consider one mic per instrument (experiment with drum mic positions around the drummers left or right ear or near his throne) or using just kick/overhead on the drums (my default kit recording setup.... I am an unsophisticated Northern live sound guy after all :D) and having the Fluglehorns sharing a mic (as they will be the most similar sounding pair of instruments). Whatever you do I would always use the tascam as a backup, it may actually sound great.

However, one last thought, does your tascam work as an audio interface (some do some don't)? If it does see if you can get it to co-habit with the Focusrite and gain yourself two extra mic channels?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Janneman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I’m going to use the tascam recodings only if I need them.

I believe that the lastest mics setup will be enough to make a nice recording.

Regards
Janneman
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 pm

I would keep an open mind myself :) If they are a good live band the stereo recording may well capture something 'special' that the multitrack doesn't. It's great to have both options but reserve judgment until you have previewed the recordings :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Bob Bickerton » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:54 am

Yes I’d be keeping an open mind in this. My view would be to make sure you’ve got the main pair down and only use the OTHER mics if you need them!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Janneman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 am

Thank you all. Ok, first i will put 2 ortf mics at the place where the conductor is standing. Record one or two songs and listen to the Result.

Regards
Janneman
Regular

Previous