You are here

NT-SF1

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: NT-SF1

Postby Ramirez » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:06 pm

The Elf wrote:...and please tell those of us who are still confused just how to use the thing! :headbang: :lol:

If I understand correctly, in a typical stereo music application, outside the VR/surround, the signal can be decoded as any number of mono/stereo mics in any coincident configuration, pointing in any direction.

Taking a familiar scenario of a singing guitarist, you could place the mic in a suitable position, take the signals and decode them as a mono cardioid (or hyper, or fig8 or whatever you want) spot mic pointing at the guitar. You could then take another copy of the signals and decode them as another cardioid (or whatever) mic pointing at the singer's mouth. As the signal originate from the same point in space, phase issues will be minimal - you couldn't really achieve that coincidence between guitar and vocal spot mic any other way (this does of course depend on finding an optimal single position for the mic)

You can apply this to any scenario - from a single NT-SF1 you could decode a main stereo array as well as any number of mono spot mics pointing in any direction.

That's my understanding anyway, and I have to say it is appealing, especially for the singing guitarist scenario. I may well have it all wrong, of course.

Aled
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Ramirez wrote:That's my understanding anyway, and I have to say it is appealing, especially for the singing guitarist scenario. I may well have it all wrong, of course.

That's my understanding too, and it's appealing to me for recording choirs, sessions and the like where I can decode into, say, a stereo track for the ensemble and separate mono tracks focussed on soloists etc. The surround sound possibilities aren't of interest to me now but who knows what might come down the line once I have the capability.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:58 pm

Bear in mind that all these separately decoded and aimed soloist mics you're envisaging are inherently coincident with the main stereo pair. So while you can narrow the polar patterns of these 'soloist' mics to improve (slightly) the selectivity and reduce spill, they aren't physically any closer to the sources so the direct/reflected balance doesn't change as much and the focussing effect isn't quite the same as a more conventional accent or spot mic placed in close. It's a useful facility, certainly, but rather different to what you might be used to.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:48 am

OK, fair comment. You don't get anything for free. I'll bear it in mind. In the sort of context I'm thinking of I think t should still give me what I want as a way of emphasising, shall we say, an area containing a particular soloist that I can then use in the final mix. Anyway, we shall see.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Previous