You are here

Recording in pubs

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recording in pubs

Postby forumuser915213 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:18 am

That too might not go down a storm ;-)
forumuser915213
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:58 am

Blue tack maybe?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59 am

Or does the pub has wall lights?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:58 am

I was looking at a pic of the much-respected (and modded!) Tandy PZMs last night and was reminded that they incorporate an arrangement for fastening them vertically...

... and browsing round other topics in the forum I've discovered that there's an impending magazine article about recording with spaced omnis including, I think, the use of spaced PZMs...

Watch that space...!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Am I missing something (I had a couple back in the day) but, if memory serves, the vertical mounting device consisted of a hole in the backplate to hang them on a nail? :sick:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:50 pm

That's how I remember them

Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser915213 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:26 pm

That's what I remember too.

Thinking on, and leaving aside the question of how to record the session in the difficult long room, I've been thinking about trying omni-mid mid-side. using just single mic stand has an appeal - though the tendency to catch a small number of voices more than others is might prove a disadvantage.

Gavin
forumuser915213
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:18 pm

That's what I said... this is a technical forum after all! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:21 pm

forumuser915213 wrote:That's what I remember too.

Thinking on, and leaving aside the question of how to record the session in the difficult long room, I've been thinking about trying omni-mid mid-side. using just single mic stand has an appeal - though the tendency to catch a small number of voices more than others is might prove a disadvantage.

Gavin

That's interesting... I'd been wondering about an MS config... But I do recall a conversation that the Elf and I had a while back now where we scratched our heads about the effectiveness of an omni as a Mid - not that either of us had tried it then... don't know if he has since...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby forumuser915213 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:59 pm

I may give it a go and report. Recording pub sessions using mid-side using an omni must be a bit of a niche activity, but someone has to try it...

G
forumuser915213
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Recording pub sessions using anything is a bit of a niche but it's fun to do. If you've been reading the NT-SF1 thread you'll see I've talked myself into buying one of those mics when I've got the dosh and pub sessions is one of the prime reasons I want to get one.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:20 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:That's interesting... I'd been wondering about an MS config... But I do recall a conversation that the Elf and I had a while back now where we scratched our heads about the effectiveness of an omni as a Mid - not that either of us had tried it then... don't know if he has since...

You can certainly do it (according to this UA article) https://www.uaudio.com/blog/mid-side-mic-recording/, but it might be better used in a more controlled studio environment so the primary sound source is located on just one side of the fig-8 null.

With an omni as the mid, you'll be picking up sound on it from both sides of the Fig-8 null (which in this case I assume would be pointing down the long axis of the room), and the sides mic will be picking up sounds from the left and right walls. So I'd imagine the result would to be to fold the sound 'behind' the mic 'forwards' so that it moved the audience into the performers area when listened to in stereo. If the audience is talking rather than listening, then it could be quite distracting.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:02 am

MS with an omni mid pattern translates to back-to-back cardioids facing 90 degrees left-right (mutual angle of 180 degrees).

So as you would expect, you'll pick up sound from everywhere in the room, and with any reasonable level of side mic you'll have an extreme stereo effect with an unstable centre.

The only way to gain some discrimination between audience and band will be via the proximity of the mic. In other words you'll need to place the mic very close to the band and have all band members in an arc to keep an equal distance to the mic to achieve a reasonable balance (assuming they are equally loud).

I've used an omni mid pattern for ambient atmosphere recordings, but I think in a pub performance thing I'd probably go with a cardioid mid pattern in most cases. That will still give a wide pickup area but with more controllable discrimination between band and audience.

Of course, an ambisonic mic setup would allow you to experiment with the mid pattern and side levels in post-production.

# Chris, if you'd like to borrow my SPS422 rig for a play I'd be happy to bring it along to the Sausage meet.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby forumuser915213 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:34 am

Our settings aren't really act and audience, but more either everyone singing or playing together, or a roomfull of people singing and playing largely on their own or in chorus.

There's no stage.

Gavin
forumuser915213
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:39 am

In that case, where the performers are essentially 'in the round', an omni-pattern mid mic will work well if the mic is hung in the middle of the space.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby forumuser915213 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:58 am

I was hoping someone might think something like that. We'll see.

Gavin
forumuser915213
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:00 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:# Chris, if you'd like to borrow my SPS422 rig for a play I'd be happy to bring it along to the Sausage meet.

Hugh, that's a truly handsome offer, but unfortunately I can't make the sosmeet due to prior commitments and I wouldn't have much time to do anything with it right now. December has become a hugely busy time for us in recent years. But I really do appreciate the offer.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:28 pm

So I make no claims for quality for this recording because it was recorded on my LS3 which I'd stuck off in a corner where I judged it wasn't too likely to knocked or otherwise maltreated, however it seemed apposite since I recorded it only yesterday in the first of this year's carol sings. This is I Hear Along Our Street, from Dunster near Minehead.

Who by the fireside stands
Stamps his feet and sings
But he who blows his hands
Not so gay a carol brings.

Let us by the fire
Ever higher, ever higher
Sing until the night expire
Sing until the night expire

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:32 pm

With your good self on accordion I assume?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Concertina! Do you really want to find yourself fighting a duel before Christmas?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

PreviousNext